The Motorcycle season is over - boo hoo

switchback

One bike is never enough!
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
Joined
Jan 10, 2011
Messages
683
Location
Salt Lake City, UT
I try to ride to work at least once every month. As long as the mornings are still in the mid 20s (F)I can get it done but things are really difficult in January. I figure one more month of fairly consistent riding left here. Tomorrow it will be around freezing for the first time, guess the grips will get a good test.
 

smoothride

New Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
11
Location
belleriver ont canada
troll said:
Well... my driveway is coverd in snow and ice and the SupaT is packed away in the shed with it's little battery removed and in the house for warm keeping over the next 6 months. nothing left now but to read the exploits of you southern boys and girls that have year around riding. Guess I will have to start doing a snow dance and break out my other Yamaha ::014::
is that a sled build over on totally yamaha.
 

Rynn Storm

New Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2011
Messages
109
Location
Bellevue, WA
In the Seattle, WA area, about two or three weeks out of the year I can't ride (due to ice). Assuming I stay out of the mountains that is.
 

~TABASCO~

RIDE ON ADV is what I do !
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Vendor
Joined
Apr 4, 2011
Messages
5,991
Location
TEXAS
Lat year I missed one day I think..... That's cuz there was three inches of ice on the ground... The days fallowing there was a small non frozen strip of concrete on my way to work... LOL The few drivers out on the roads thought I was nuts... One day last winter is was raining and sleeting, I had all my gear on with rain gear. Prolly about 31* ::008:: Good times...... Cold is no problem... Ice on the ground, that might be a bit tricky....... . :D I ride a bike 24/7/364
 

tomatocity

Active Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
5,251
Location
Sacramento, CA USA
I am with Toompine and a year round season. I usually choose not to ride in rain or when it is FN cold. Tonight I almost did not ride to dinner because it was too straight and freeway. I rode anyway and loved testing my new Joe Rocket jacket.
 

spklbuk

Well-Known Member
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
1,639
Location
SE Almost Heaven
I usally go till the first salting of the roads....looks like that may come earlier this year.
Yep.

500cc 4 stroke twin, 80hp@11,300rpm. looks like a Phazer but is a venture lite that is tricked out with Phazer plastics and a 159x16x2 track and big skiis. its not fast but it floats on soft snow like a butterfly.
Now that sounds like FUN! I ::012:: you sir for making it happen year round. Here in tweener land, a sled is just not gonna happen.
 

colorider

Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
Joined
Sep 25, 2010
Messages
5,442
Location
Sidney, NE
We had record high temps on Monday, decent weather yesterday (I took about a 50 mile ride) and this morning I woke to 6+ inches of WET snow and a bunch of broken branches on the trees in my yard. I love Colorado!!!
::003::
 

rem

A man who don't lie, ain't got nothin' to say.
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
4,496
Location
Yukon Territory, Canada
I am, of course, devastated to hear of your poor weather misfortunes. snicker chortle I'll be thinking of you all day. R
 

colorider

Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
Joined
Sep 25, 2010
Messages
5,442
Location
Sidney, NE
rem said:
I am, of course, devastated to hear of your poor weather misfortunes. snicker chortle I'll be thinking of you all day. R
I can tell how broken up you are..... NOT!!!
::003::
 

jajpko

New Member
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
Joined
Nov 26, 2010
Messages
2,776
Location
North Texas
~TABASCO~ said:
Lat year I missed one day I think..... That's cuz there was three inches of ice on the ground... The days fallowing there was a small non frozen strip of concrete on my way to work... LOL The few drivers out on the roads thought I was nuts... One day last winter is was raining and sleeting, I had all my gear on with rain gear. Prolly about 31* ::008:: Good times...... Cold is no problem... Ice on the ground, that might be a bit tricky....... . :D I ride a bike 24/7/364
Just asking, but what do you do on the other day of the year? ::024:: ::025::
 

rem

A man who don't lie, ain't got nothin' to say.
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
4,496
Location
Yukon Territory, Canada
He probably does a lot of planning .... R
 

Bigbore4

Active Member
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
818
Location
Andover Minnesota USA
Winding down in MN. Three of us went riding this past Saturday. It was 60 in the metro (mid day) but we went north. Did the north shore, The Arrowhead and Hy 1, best road in MN. Aboot 600 miles in mostly 40's and lower 50's for temps. I had the newly installed grip heaters on all day, they work fine.

I usually ride to work in season, but I also have a new truck and when the temp is down around freezing in the morning, and that shiny new truck is there, it's a tough call. Lately I been soft and taking the truck.

Before you all light me up for wimping in to the truck, I am at 8800 miles and we should get a few more riding days as long as it doesn't snow. Like most northern riders, I put it away when they start salting. Would like to make 10k miles, but with time off for hunting etc, I doubt it. I put a few on the FJR while waiting for the Super Tenere, I had a good season.

Life's Short, Ride Hard!
 

yukondood

Member
Founding Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2010
Messages
268
Rem and Troll you put your rides away too early, I am still riding to work daily. The ABS and TCS are awesome and do work in snow and frost. I realize time it ticking as right now it is snowing like crazy so doubtful I will ride in the morning but the bike will be kept in the heated garage(beside the WR with the kicking horse track kit, the wiifes Venutre RS, kids phazers and atv with plow to get out of the driveway) for those rare clear road days until spring (July). Also kept my old skins and have some ice screws in them for a little winter chaos- who knows where I will end up. I have an annual event to Tuk in March and think the steed will be in the trailer so I can ride the dempster in the winter and more importantly the Tuk ice road!!!
New season means new way to use the equipment, Rem I will be sure to ride by your place sometime this winter and park the Tenere at the ski hill for kicks.
 

Bigbore4

Active Member
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
818
Location
Andover Minnesota USA
You sir are insane!

I salute you!

yukondood said:
Rem and Troll you put your rides away too early, I am still riding to work daily. The ABS and TCS are awesome and do work in snow and frost. I realize time it ticking as right now it is snowing like crazy so doubtful I will ride in the morning but the bike will be kept in the heated garage(beside the WR with the kicking horse track kit, the wiifes Venutre RS, kids phazers and atv with plow to get out of the driveway) for those rare clear road days until spring (July). Also kept my old skins and have some ice screws in them for a little winter chaos- who knows where I will end up. I have an annual event to Tuk in March and think the steed will be in the trailer so I can ride the dempster in the winter and more importantly the Tuk ice road!!!
New season means new way to use the equipment, Rem I will be sure to ride by your place sometime this winter and park the Tenere at the ski hill for kicks.
 

rem

A man who don't lie, ain't got nothin' to say.
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
4,496
Location
Yukon Territory, Canada
What a man. WHAT A MAN!!!! GETTER DONE, SON !!!! if you come up my way, let me know so we can get some pics. Snowed more last night. My unmentionables are chilling down just thinking about it. R ::004::
 

colorider

Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
Joined
Sep 25, 2010
Messages
5,442
Location
Sidney, NE
rem said:
My unmentionables are chilling down just thinking about it. R ::004::
Your BLACK motorcycles?
::015::
 

rem

A man who don't lie, ain't got nothin' to say.
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
4,496
Location
Yukon Territory, Canada
Oh no ... he's just my unseeable. But he's well worth mentioning. Did I mention what a fine bike he is ???


Black is Whack !!! I just thought I'd mention that ...... R
 
Top