Author Topic: 2014 MotoGP Calendar Announced - Austin COTA is April 13, 2014  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
2014 MotoGP Calendar Announced - Austin COTA is April 13, 2014
« on: October 02, 2013, 03:03:52 pm »
~

Just a note to all concerned...

DORNA announced the 2014 MotoGP calendar this morning. You can see it here - http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/2014+MotoGP+Calendar+Announcement

For those of us here in the USA our two rounds fall as follows:

Austin COTA - April 11, 12, and 13, 2014

Indy - August 8, 9, and 10, 2014

Sadly, but not unexpectedly, Laguna Seca is gone off the MotoGP schedule, instead becoming the USA home of the WSBK championship.

Thought you folks might want to know so you could start lining up your rooms, camp sites, etc. before they get booked up or are all gone.

Hope to see some of you at Austin in April!!!  ::001::

Dallara

~
©

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

Offline snakebitten

Re: 2014 MotoGP Calendar Announced - Austin COTA is April 13, 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 03:29:17 pm »
Wow. I had predicted we wouldn't be able to hold onto 3 GP races.
But I thought Laguna would be the nostalgic favorite.

Business is business.
I'm in for COTA!

Easiest big time event to get into I ever seen.
Getting out was a bit tougher.
XT1200Z  Biggest Dirt Bike in The World

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 03:53:02 pm »
Wow. I had predicted we wouldn't be able to hold onto 3 GP races.
But I thought Laguna would be the nostalgic favorite.

Business is business.
I'm in for COTA!

Easiest big time event to get into I ever seen.
Getting out was a bit tougher.

Business is what it was for Laguna Seca, Snake. Plenty of info on the 'net for that. Once Indy turned up the money wick to keep their date Laguna's fate was sealed. I only hope COTA doesn't blow it and fail to promote MotoGP like they should so they can keep their date through their contract and beyond.

I gotta' be honest...  Other than the Formula 1 event I haven't seen the best of marketing and promotion from COTA. I was just at the ALMS-WEC event weekend there, and I was shocked and dismayed at the lack of any real advertising or promotion in the area for that...  And even more disappointed in the spectator turnout.

There was literally nobody there...  And Sunday was the WEC Audi's and Toyota, etc. - the same cars that run at Le Mans, and rarely run in the USA. The Audi's and Toyota are arguably the most technically advanced race cars in the world (yes, rivaling Formula 1, and the cars have to run a minimum of 6 hours at a crack), and yet nobody in Austin knew they were there.

Sad...

Dallara

~
©

~

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 04:10:48 pm »
Yea, I wasn't addressing that. Truth is, I'm no racing fanatic. (Anymore. Was for years though) But I have loved motorcycles from the first day I ever touched one. So when I heard about GP coming to Austin, I made the effort to go see the guys for the first time in my life.

I think I first heard about it here. Not from some successful marketing attempt. And I ONLY knew about the Aussie V8's, another RARE opportunity, because they marketed it at the track during the GP. (Sadly, didn't make it. Not COTA's fault. I can't remember what got in the way)

I might be the hardest person to market to for COTA, because I am not looking for what they have. They gotta find me. But I'm a legit customer. I will travel and pay if the logistics work for me.

It's an amazing venue. I'm stunned it got built. Too bad "if you build it they will come.." is a big load of horse pooky. Only in the movies.

XT1200Z  Biggest Dirt Bike in The World

Offline 20valves

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 05:22:20 pm »
I've heard the COTA big shots are car guys, maybe even NASCAR guys. I hope they'll do the promotion necessary to keep MotoGP a success there. Especially now that we're down to 2 US GP's. At least we have an American joining Moto2 in 2014. Other than Spies circulating in 9th place on a Ducati next year  :-[ , Herrin is the only new US guy to watch in MotoGP next year.
Raven Black Super Ten
'14 KTM 500 EXC
'13 FJR, '06 R1 LE
'09 T Max

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 05:53:25 pm »
I've heard the COTA big shots are car guys, maybe even NASCAR guys. I hope they'll do the promotion necessary to keep MotoGP a success there. Especially now that we're down to 2 US GP's. At least we have an American joining Moto2 in 2014. Other than Spies circulating in 9th place on a Ducati next year  :-[ , Herrin is the only new US guy to watch in MotoGP next year.

First off, word is that Spies will be riding a Ducati in WSBK next season, not MotoGP...  Apparently the Pramac team owner didn't like Spies' tweet about the team owner having white powder around his nose, and Pramac wants Ben gone, gone, gone. But since Spies has a contract with Ducati they have to find him something, and something that will justify the salary they're paying him. So, the rumblings are he will be on a Panigale in WSBK...

And on that note, there are other rumors circulating that Carlos Checa may b e joining Tom Sykes at Kawasaki.  ???

As for COTA...  It's worse than you think. Most of the marketing and promotional folks at COTA come from every professional sport *OTHER* than motorsports. Most were sniped from Jerry Jones organization in Dallas, and have only promoted and marketed hockey, football, etc., and never a motorsports event one until going to work for COTA. Others came from Churchill Downs and horse racing, while another from advertising soft drinks and fast-food franchises.

They do have some good motorsports guys in operations of the track, like Chuck Aksland (who used to run Team Roberts for Kenny, Sr., etc.) and Mel Harder (formerly in operations for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and was key in getting MotoGP there. He's a avid motorcyclist.), but other than that there are few in COTA management that have any motorsports experience at all. You can see a roster of the COTA management team here:

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/team

I've dealt one-on-one with a few people on that list, and most of those didn't have a clue about motorsports. Surprised the hell out of me that they got hired... But I'll leave it at that.

Dallara

~
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 05:56:11 pm by Dallara »
©

~

Offline iridemotorbikes

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 07:28:55 pm »
I heard this a few weeks ago as a "rumor" and said no way will Laguna Seca lose GP.. Eating my words now-

Sad to see Laguna lose GP, been to Indy twice now and after going to COTA will never be going to Indy GP again. 
40 years on two wheels, over 1 million miles and still counting..

Offline HoebSTer

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:08:11 pm »
I wonder if awareness in general is going to drop in the USA since formeer SPEED was bought out and dropped MotoGP from TV. I have watched most races over past years and now since it isn't on TV, I have missed most of the season.
If anyone knows a way to tap into some European TV V.IA. Internet to watch this, please let me know.
Jeff Haar
2012 S10
Wasp Bitten Raven

Previous Bikes: 85 V65 Sabre, 87 CBR1000, 76 H-D Superglide, 96 ST1100, 87 XT600, 93 ST1100, 98 ST1100A, 03 ST1300A, 07 1000 VSTrom, 06 KLR650

Offline scott123007

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 07:35:11 pm »
Well, it isn't free, but MotoGP has its own website and for about $160. per season, you get all of the practices, qualifying, and races, for Moto 3, Moto 2 , and MotoGP. I'm hooked to the site on race weekend so I definitely have gotten my money's worth. Plus, you can watch every MotoGP race back to about 1993, I believe. Speed Channel costs me about $35. per month in my neck of the woods and has become a real POS channel when it comes to motorcycle racing these days, so I just cancelled it.

Offline okiegtrider

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 04:16:53 pm »
We will be back at CoTA for the GP in April! And just this week I learned that I have snagged a flaggers job for F1 next month. That was somewhat unexpected, but I jumped on the opportunity.  Looking forward to it!   ::008::