Author Topic: 2014 Super Tenere  (Read 39571 times)

Offline creggur

Re: 2014 Super Tenere
« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2013, 05:42:07 am »

That must be the rumored "stripped down" model I had been hearing about. Besides no rack on the back I notice that they don't have the passenger hand holds, instead they have a strap on the rear seat.

That's what looks so different - for some reason my eye didn't catch the missing grab handles...
U.S. Number 717 - for anyone keeping track of such things...

Offline twinrider

« Reply #181 on: November 05, 2013, 06:05:35 am »
Gotta say, I really don't like that at all. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but at first blush, not a fan...

I thought the same, much prefer an analog tach.

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #182 on: November 05, 2013, 07:36:56 am »
This is the pick I meant:

http://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/product_assets/2014/XTZ1200E/2014-Yamaha-XT1200ZE-Super-Tenere-EU-Competition-White-Detail-002.jpg?width=1600&quality=75

Interestingly I don't see anything on the front forks. 

ac

Yep, that's the shock reservoir hanging under the frame rail, and that's a stepper motor on the shock right where the old hydraulic preload previously resided, but notice all the wiring/cabling that goes from that right up underneath that new filler panel...  That's where the ESA "control unit" is mounted IMHO. I'd be willing to bet big bucks - or a beer or six - on it.  ::025::

Dallara

~
©

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

Offline RED CAT

« Reply #183 on: November 05, 2013, 08:43:43 am »
Must say. At least Yamaha is making some updates. They are trying hard which is more than I can say for the other 3 Japanese companies. Would still like shift on the fly traction control though. Not crazy about those 2013 colors. Still think the blue is the nicest. A red would be cool. I'm sure this new S10 will be better in the flesh and more HP is always nice. Maybe those street weeny oriented Euro testers will give it a decent write up now. Thanks Yamaha. ::012::

Offline avc8130

« Reply #184 on: November 05, 2013, 08:45:58 am »

Yep, that's the shock reservoir hanging under the frame rail, and that's a stepper motor on the shock right where the old hydraulic preload previously resided, but notice all the wiring/cabling that goes from that right up underneath that new filler panel...  That's where the ESA "control unit" is mounted IMHO. I'd be willing to bet big bucks - or a beer or six - on it.  ::025::

Dallara

~

Can't disagree with you.  There isn't much spare real estate on a Tenere.

ac
ECU Flash: Hearsay.

Offline Yamaguy55

• No difficult problems, just difficult people
« Reply #185 on: November 05, 2013, 09:02:50 am »
Where I live, on the Northern High Plains, the closest large city is 550 miles away.  The mountains to the west in Montana are about 600 miles away.  There's hardly any traffic and hardly any curves on the way to the places worth seeing, and that includes if you're avoiding the interstate highways if you can, which I do as much as possible.  Electronic cruise control may not be a huge selling point to you folks out east, but It's a huge selling point to me.  Please Yamaha, don't bundle it only with the electronic suspension!

I completely agree that cruise control is a very big thing for many.  If I were the marketing guy: I'd see about a retrofit accessory for those that want to upgrade their older models. That wouldn't sell more new bikes, but would get revenue from those that want the feature, but aren't willing to trade. We offer this sort of thing to customers in my business all of the time. It is either added to service contract customers for free or is a purchasable item.

I just don't think it is enough, even with the other updates, to make me trade for a new model. That is all I'm saying. If cruise control was not popular, I doubt auto manufacturers would add it to their cars. I'm merely saying I have little to no use for it myself. Even on the interstate, I still don't use it.  I frequently drive out to the midwest to visit, and haven't used the cruise in as far back as I can remember. But that's just me. I am now and have always been employed in a high tech position. Because of this, my own tastes tend to the simple and gadget-free. My wife is a gadget girl if there ever was one. But my tastes are towards the very basic, and manual end of the spectrum. I get all the tech I can stand at work, and then some. Call it tech overload or tech burnout.

In your situation, I can see it would have a large appeal. I happen to live in the east right now, but I've lived all over the US, and in other parts of the world. Cruise control just isn't me, for whatever reason.  I don't often listen to music or the radio, either, so that just adds to my odd attitude.  Many avoid me for these and other reasons.  They have every reason to.
Blue XT1200Z, WR250R: also Blue (the fast color) And a neglected XS400G as a Scrambler project.

Offline avc8130

« Reply #186 on: November 05, 2013, 09:13:02 am »
I use cruise control in my car/truck all the time.  However, I feel that if I NEED it on my bike I am traveling "wrong". 

For the few times I slog it on the highway a Kaoko throttle lock that I got off Dallara for a steal is good enough for me. 

I do think it is neat that Yamaha is adding things that other manufacturers have added and a lot of guys have added themselves.

The thing I was most curious about is "more power", but I just don't see it.  The 2014 is claiming 110 hp.  The 2012 was what?  108? 

How about 125hp?  That would be awesome.

ac
ECU Flash: Hearsay.

Offline 20valves

« Reply #187 on: November 05, 2013, 09:22:57 am »
Sad part is it looks like you still have to reach up to the dash to change instrument functions...  :(
Dallara

I bet that's the same setup as the FJR. There's probably a trigger where the "flash to pass" usually is. On the FJR, the flash to pass is on the high beam switch and the right dash display is controlled by the trigger. If we could get a shot of the left hand switch cluster, all would be revealed.
Raven Black Super Ten
'14 KTM 500 EXC
'13 FJR, '06 R1 LE
'09 T Max

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2013, 09:36:20 am »
The thing I was most curious about is "more power", but I just don't see it.  The 2014 is claiming 110 hp.  The 2012 was what?  108? 

How about 125hp?  That would be awesome.

I dunno'...  Depends on how you look at what the design criteria and targeted use for the bike are.

125 HP or more are well and truly useless off-road, and for the most part the vast majority of the time on-road as well. Sure, it might be fun, but it's not necessary, and can actually be a detriment off pavement. There fat, broad, usable power delivery with the least chance of any power spike is the best recipe. This type bike isn't an MX'er that needs a "hit" for corner exits and jump faces. It needs tractor-style grunt for the slick places you might get a 600-lbs behemoth into... But you already knew that.  ::025::

I understand where you're coming from, AC...  But honestly, I have to applaud and congratulate Yamaha for *NOT* getting sucked into that inane horsepower race in the "adventure" segment. There are plenty of sportbikes around for that, and even naked "standards". The "adventure" market *NEEDS* a bike that is biased for true dual-purpose use, and with an off-road thoughtful powerplant.

Just my two centavos...

Dallara

`
©

~

Offline Ramseybella

« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2013, 10:21:47 am »
I have enough issues with power eating rear tires on this bike.
 I agree grunt and low end pull in the first three is what I like about this bike.
It does not have a huge top speed but it works for it's intended design, DUAL SPORT!
Anybody take the 800 or 1200 Explorer Triumph out for a road test? The 1200 is a monster at top end but it is most intimidating on off road; Sort of like an old 80's Honda cr500 two stoker lots of blast off.. >:D
Trials bike gearing is how I feel about the Tenere, pull me up that hill, get me out of this hole.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:24:51 am by Ramseybella »
"Green grass and high tides forever".
CLICK>>>> http://media.y8.com/system/contents/13365/original/Falling_Obama.swf

Offline sportsguy

• Get off my lawn you little bastard!
« Reply #190 on: November 05, 2013, 10:27:27 am »
Now I'm making less sense than Sportsguy...     ;)

Score another conversion for the crazies! :)

...and for that panel in the display, on the right hand side - that's for Tetris - Yamaha just confirmed that their target demographic wanted to nerd-out while sipping a latte and enjoying cruise control on the interstate.  That's the money-demo.  Thankfully, they decided to build a bike that would, in their words "would survive the real world of adventure, while not embarrass the poseur".

As to the question of adding more horsepower, they explained that while having more is often a desirable thing to many 'Mericans, the fact is that most two-slice toasters in Japan have roughly 110 hp, and they couldn't see how people would need MORE power than a toaster. They could have engineered it to blacken toast in 1.2 seconds, but surveys showed that most people prefer browned toast to charcoal, so they opted for usable power over a wide range, instead of the nuclear option. Sensible choice, imo.

Look what going nuclear did to the Multistrada. You never see Multi's on BDRs, and I can't recall the last time one was reported passing up a latte to run Pike's Peak.

Offline Mark R.

« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2013, 10:48:54 am »
It still amazes me that after all these years the check engine light has a graphic of a 1970's American V-8 auto engine.

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2013, 11:42:28 am »
It still amazes me that after all these years the check engine light has a graphic of a 1970's American V-8 auto engine.

Kind of like ringer icons still show a vintage bell, a phone icon often shows a vintage dial-phone handset, a settings icon on an iPhone still shows gears, camera icons still show vintage film cameras, etc., etc., etc. I guess...

What would you use if not something like the current engine icon?

After all, everybody already knows exactly what it means. Be lots of re-education for lots of folks to change it.

Dallara

~
©

~

Offline fredz43

« Reply #193 on: November 05, 2013, 11:42:57 am »
I wonder if "The latest D-MODE switchable mapping offers refined town and sport settings" could mean that they paid attention to the fact that many have had a reflash to eliminate the restrictions in the lower gears, etc and actually did something about it? I guess we won't know until we read some road tests from those that have actually ridden the previous model to compare.

Offline Mark R.

« Reply #194 on: November 05, 2013, 11:58:29 am »

Kind of like ringer icons still show a vintage bell, a phone icon often shows a vintage dial-phone handset, a settings icon on an iPhone still shows gears, camera icons still show vintage film cameras, etc., etc., etc. I guess...

What would you use if not something like the current engine icon?

After all, everybody already knows exactly what it means. Be lots of re-education for lots of folks to change it.

Dallara

~

For Harleys, a V-Twin graphic would work very easily.  Maybe a side view of a motorcycle engine for everyone else.