Author Topic: 2014 Super Tenere  (Read 44384 times)

Offline avc8130

Re: 2014 Super Tenere
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2013, 04:08:51 pm »
and a gear indicator.

And an aluminum kickstand!
ECU Flash: Hearsay.

Offline Yamaguy55

• No difficult problems, just difficult people
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2013, 04:14:17 pm »

Which will promptly snap off!

I spent some time considering the FZ07. It is what I've wondered about for a while now. Yamaha had a long term winner with the old XS650. This looks like the modern update, much like the WR250R is the newer DT1.  It is about time they capitalized on their long run with that one. I still meet people today that want a new, modern spec XS650. Now they have one.
Blue XT1200Z, WR250R: also Blue (the fast color) And a neglected XS400G as a Scrambler project.

Offline RockyDS

« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2013, 04:15:10 pm »

I didn't see that.  Not enough to keep it from gaining weight though.  At least it's not discontinued but I really would have liked to see more.

It's not stacking up as a "Must have" upgrade, is it?   ::010::
Super Ténéré - Yukon 2012 - Ouray 2013 - PCH 2014

Offline spasm

« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2013, 04:17:49 pm »
Very disappointing, I'll be keeping mine for another few years then

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

i only need one wheel on my bike.... the rear

Offline bloodline

« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2013, 04:21:36 pm »

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but that's an article from March, 19, 2010...  8)

Not much relevance for a 2014 new model introduction.

Dallara

~

Says the guy that told the world the bike was getting dropped from the lineup...

Offline Robare

« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2013, 04:22:16 pm »
I didn't see that.  Not enough to keep it from gaining weight though.  At least it's not discontinued but I really would have liked to see more.

It's not stacking up as a "Must have" upgrade, is it?   ::010::

Maybe not, but for guys like me shopping around all nice add ons except the extra insignificant weight.  Good to combat the competition too.

What about the rumor about a bare bones model?  still looking for that.

Offline Scoobynut

« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2013, 04:24:33 pm »
I hope we have a choice in the U.S. between the electronic adjust. suspension and regular suspension, but with cruise control on either one.  If you recall there are two 2014 FJR1300s available in the U.S, one with the electronic suspenders and one without, but both are equipped with cruise control.  If Yamaha U.S. gives us a choice, I would strongly consider trading my 2012 for a 2014 if I could get it with standard suspension.  Why, you might ask?  Because I would love to have the factory cruise control, but just don't feel the need or desire for the electronic suspension.  Anyone else feel the same way?

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2013, 04:27:58 pm »
~

Well, if you look closely, it does have handlebar risers standard now!!!  ::025::

Seriously, I'm actually kind of happy to see Yamaha didn't change much...  One, it means the basic package was pretty *right* to begin with, but we all knew that.

But two, and more importantly, is that to have the bike take an evolutionary path, with incremental upgrades, means our older Super Tenere models will better retain their values, much like the incremental path with the FJR has shown. If Yamaha had made huge changes to the bike then our bikes would be worth little, and the aftermarket would slowly begin to ignore them. In this case it appears that much of what is new on the 2014 will may be able to be retrofitted to the earlier models, and likewise aftermarket parts will work and fit on the new model. This means the aftermarket folks don't have to tool up for new stuff, and they will continue to make all the good stuff we like for the bike because they know there is an ongoing market for the pieces for years to come.

What Yamaha has done is a *good* thing, folks. Make no mistake about it. This bodes well for all of us, and for the future of the Super Tenere.  ::008::

I just can't wait to meet up again with that goofy Yamaha rep who told me the Super Tenere was no more for 2014 in the USA.  :D

Yamaha wouldn't spend this much on it and not bring it to the USA.

Says the guy that told the world the bike was getting dropped from the lineup...

I only relayed what a Yamaha *REP* told me about the Super Tenere continuing in the USA, Bloodline. But I learned my lesson there. There's absolutely *NO* chance I will ever relay that kind of thing here ever again, regardless of source. And that will include things like when I first showed the Excel cruise control months before they were available, etc. If I get any sort of info I will just keep it to myself from now on. Should keep you happy, eh?

I sure hope you come to the Spring Hill Country Ride...  ::025::

Dallara

~
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 04:34:25 pm by Dallara »
©

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

Offline gmtech

« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2013, 04:31:15 pm »
 ::006::
anyone find  any good pics of  gauge display and stuff?

Offline avc8130

« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2013, 04:35:21 pm »
I hope we have a choice in the U.S. between the electronic adjust. suspension and regular suspension, but with cruise control on either one.  If you recall there are two 2014 FJR1300s available in the U.S, one with the electronic suspenders and one without, but both are equipped with cruise control.  If Yamaha U.S. gives us a choice, I would strongly consider trading my 2012 for a 2014 if I could get it with standard suspension.  Why, you might ask?  Because I would love to have the factory cruise control, but just don't feel the need or desire for the electronic suspension.  Anyone else feel the same way?

Yes, to a degree.  The "degree" is the fact that I have custom suspension on my Tenere and prefer it to any of the "stock" ESA offerings I have ridden (Multi/GS).  I would most likely still need to "work" the suspension to make it work for me, but that doesn't exist yet for the ESA bikes and will certainly cost more.

The other part of the "degree" is that I am not an interstate mile-muncher.  My Kaoko gets me by just fine for "cruise control".  Would integrated electronic control be awesome?  You bet.  Worth selling and "upgrading"?  Nope.

ac

Offline RockyDS

« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2013, 04:37:05 pm »
~

Well, if you look closely, it does have handlebar risers standard now!!!  ::025::

Seriously, I'm actually kind of happy to see Yamaha didn't change much...  One, it means the basic package was pretty *right* to begin with, but we all knew that.

But two, and more importantly, is that to have the bike take an evolutionary path, with incremental upgrades, means our older Super Tenere models will better retain their values, much like the incremental path with the FJR has shown. If Yamaha had made huge changes to the bike then our bikes would be worth little, and the aftermarket would slowly begin to ignore them. In this case it appears that much of what is new on the 2014 will may be able to be retrofitted to the earlier models, and likewise aftermarket parts will work and fit on the new model. This means the aftermarket folks don't have to tool up for new stuff, and they will continue to make all the good stuff we like for the bike because they know there is an ongoing market for the pieces for years to come.

What Yamaha has done is a *good* thing, folks. Make no mistake about it. This bodes well for all of us, and for the future of the Super Tenere.  ::008::

I just can't wait to meet up again with that goofy Yamaha rep who told me the Super Tenere was no more for 2014 in the USA.  :D

Yamaha wouldn't spend this much on it and not bring it to the USA.

I only relayed what a Yamaha *REP* told me about the Super Tenere continuing in the USA, Bloodline. But I learned my lesson there. There's absolutely *NO* chance I will ever relay that kind of thing here ever again, regardless of source. And that will include things like when I first showed the Excel cruise control months before they were available, etc. If I get any sort of info I will just keep it to myself from now on. Should keep you happy, eh?

Dallara

~

Makes sense to me,

and although it's not a "must have" it wil be a "nice to have" option for some.

Features.

Easy-to-adjust electronically adjustable suspension

The XT1200ZE’s electronically adjustable suspension enables the adventure rider to make instant suspension adjustments while on the move. This easy-to-operate system is controlled by a multi-function handlebar-mounted switch and offers a total of 84 different settings to suit every road and off road riding situation.

Intelligent unified braking system and ABS

The intelligent unified braking system gives the rider total control. Pulling the front brake lever first activates the unified system, while touching the rear brake first gives you individual control over the front and rear brakes. And for added confidence the XT1200ZE is equipped with ABS that can be deactivated when required.

YCC-T with 3-stage traction control

XT1200ZE riders benefit from the most intelligent electronic rider assistance technology available. The ‘fly by wire’ Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) ensures optimal response and outstanding power delivery, while the 3-stage traction control allows the rider to select the best setting for different conditions, on or off road.

Enhanced Yamaha D-MODE mapping and cruise control

D-MODE offers the choice of two different mapping options. “T” (town) mode gives a more relaxed and easy running character in slower conditions, while “S” (sport) mode delivers exhilarating and exciting performance on the open road. And for more relaxed long distance trips, cruise control is fitted as standard equipment.

Rugged components and long range durability

Look at the specifications and it is clear that the XT1200ZE Super Ténéré is a serious adventure bike that is built for extreme exploration. The slim and deep-sided fuel tank has a generous capacity of 23 litres for an extended riding range, while the tough aluminium spoked wheels run with heavy duty rims and tubeless tyres.

Optimum adjustability to suit all riders

Features such as the electronically adjustable suspension, D-MODE mapping and 3-stage traction control allow the rider to select the preferred mode for the prevailing conditions, and the XT1200ZE is also equipped with a 4-step adjustable windscreen as well as an adjustable seat that can be set between 845mm and 870mm high.

Super Ténéré - Yukon 2012 - Ouray 2013 - PCH 2014

Offline avc8130

« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2013, 04:38:16 pm »

I sure hope you come to the Spring Hill Country Ride...  ::025::

Dallara

~

What if this "ride" is just another one of your rumors you are spreading and Bloodline is left all alone with his Tenere wondering where everyone is while the coyotes move in?

::002::

ac

Offline Yamaguy55

• No difficult problems, just difficult people
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2013, 04:45:45 pm »
Yes, to a degree.  The "degree" is the fact that I have custom suspension on my Tenere and prefer it to any of the "stock" ESA offerings I have ridden (Multi/GS).  I would most likely still need to "work" the suspension to make it work for me, but that doesn't exist yet for the ESA bikes and will certainly cost more.

The other part of the "degree" is that I am not an interstate mile-muncher.  My Kaoko gets me by just fine for "cruise control".  Would integrated electronic control be awesome?  You bet.  Worth selling and "upgrading"?  Nope.

ac

That's exactly where I am on this. I seldom if ever use cruise control on any of my 4 wheeled vehicles, and I drive a lot. So it isn't a selling point to me.

I tend to leave my suspension where I find it works best for me, so manual adjustments are ok. As long as I can get to where I need to be, that is.

I'll go out on a limb, but I'd guess the windscreen, frame covers, and bar switches plus the bars will go right on ours. I'd not be surprised if the CC could be backwards adapted.  Nice enticements if you don't have one already, but if you already do own a Tenere, a trip through the parts book should get you very close to the new one, at a substantial reduction in price. I like the fact that mine is paid for. I'll do the a la cart thing.

Anybody notice this:

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/motorcycles/sport-heritage/sr400.aspx

That would be nice over here as well.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 04:50:34 pm by Yamaguy55 »
Blue XT1200Z, WR250R: also Blue (the fast color) And a neglected XS400G as a Scrambler project.

Offline Dirt_Dad

« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2013, 05:08:09 pm »
Considering I came from the V-Strom DL1000 where year after year nothing of any significance changed, I'm very pleased to see Yamaha make tweaks to improve the bike.  Nothing to tempt me to make a change, but happy they are not going to let it become stale and out of date.   ::008::
12 Super Tenere Blue
12 Super Tenere Black
12 Yamaha XT250
13 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2013, 05:14:49 pm »
What if this "ride" is just another one of your rumors you are spreading and Bloodline is left all alone with his Tenere wondering where everyone is while the coyotes move in?

::002::

ac

Yep, you're probably right...

The whole Spring Hill Country Ride will turn out to be just a figment of my imagination. Wouldn't matter anyway. He won't show up, and I doubt he'll comment further.  ;)

::017::

Funny, too, how he has no similar pithy comments for the other thread that's running right now entitled "Super Tenere possibly discontinued in 2014"  - http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=8735.0

Dallara

~
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:41:05 pm by Dallara »
©

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.