Author Topic: 2014 Super Tenere  (Read 44401 times)

Offline Scott Williams

2014 Super Tenere
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:46:55 pm »
Just received the following comment from my Honduras dealership's Sales Director:

"Dear Scott,

I was surprised the same as you, when I received the information from Yamaha, usually the change of year is by the middle of the year, but at this time the change of year will be in October production, so the delivery of 2014 year model will be between December 13 and January 14.
I can give you a good price on the leftover 2012 ($15,500 USD) model I have on stock, or make the order today with 2013 year model or wait for the 2014 model, that model it´s going to have some changes that they don´t really know about it at this moment.  Or, I can return your deposit".

Has anyone heard anything about possible changes?

Offline 20valves

Re: 2014 Super Tenere
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:44:16 pm »
Haven't heard anything at all about any 2014 Yamahas.
Raven Black Super Ten
'14 KTM 500 EXC
'13 FJR, '06 R1 LE
'09 T Max

Offline Buelligan

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:37:37 pm »
15,500 doesn't sound like a good price for a leftover new 2012.
You can find a well farkled used 2012 here on the forum for much less...
Guns and parachutes: If you ever need one and don't have it, you will never need one again.

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:40:11 pm »
15,500 doesn't sound like a good price for a leftover new 2012.
You can find a well farkled used 2012 here on the forum for much less...

Just as a note, the OP, Mr. Williams, is in Honduras.

Dallara

~
©

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:53:18 pm »
Yep,

Central America. Probably got some "duty" to overcome.

I lived in Belize back in 79-80. All kinds of things that the fishermen had to import were taxed heavily through "normal" channels.
Chain, cables, tack, ....etc
Seemed a real burden to folks just trying to feed their family.

But I digress. Sorry.

Regardless, we yanks are spoiled (blessed) to have advantageous purchasing power. Who knows if $15,500 is a good deal in Honduras? I sure don't. And I doubt they sell as many motorcycles in Honduras in a year as they do in Texas in a week.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:28:35 pm by snakebitten »
XT1200Z  Biggest Dirt Bike in The World

Offline Scott Williams

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 10:57:27 am »
Right. Yamaha may sell 3 S10's in a year down here. And yes, duty & tax can add up to 47% to any purchase in honduras. Most everything ordered from outside is subject. But property tax on a $350,000 home is just $400/yr. In the Bahamas you are hit with a 45% duty on anything brought in, but there are no other taxes. Those that spend, pay. Wife, self and cat sailed from Maine to VZ. for six years and all around the Caribbean. We had a great time.
A new 2013 here will run me $17,000 incl. tax. Dealer just lowered the leftover 2012 to $15,000. Since  I have a ride, and no real urgency, I am very much leaning towards waiting for a 2014 delivery in Dec. Will let him know in a day or two. Then I can farkle up & we head south. Can't ride down here from mid-Sept. thru end of Dec. anyway, due to rainy season, so won't be missing a hell of a lot.
Scott

Offline GrahamD

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 11:37:22 pm »
I am sure the 2014 model will be as Dallara says BNG..but I thought this may be interesting as to the direction of NEW models.

Now by new I expect that means NEW , not existing models, like the S10, as the Japanese tend to create models and put them out to pasture with the occasional little modification, which is why you don't see a vastly improved (top 10 bike in the world in 1976) Yamaha XS750 that has been continued for 37 years.
Honda's Wasserboxer strangely enough is one big exception to that.

Anyway assuming NEW means revolution and not evolution...

Yamaha Europe’s senior vice-president Seiya Nakamura adds “We have been a bit too conservative with our new models in the past few years.  We decided to turn that around. We’re gonna bring more innovative and special concepts in the market again, like Yamaha used to do so often in the past.”

He continues to reveal his strategy: “We want to bring a new generation of models that have a more clear character, and that are dramatically lighter. You know, nowadays, going with high speeds is not done anymore. Our models should not need high speed to be attractive. We want to dramatically improve the riding feeling, so you can enjoy it always, so that even commuting and city riding is fun!”

Sounds like the translation to that is, Less R1 and more R6. Maybe also Lighter and more fragile Tenere's. Who sees this as putting back the wheel spin the S10?

So if the the new Tenere's come out with in gear restrictions and "off idle stumbles" you can save this quote as well and stick it up them..
That’s why we have the crossplane crankshaft on the R1, with its special sound and its ‘clean torque’ that gives excellent feel for controlling the rear wheel. The MT-09 engine also delivers ‘clean torque’

I know the S10 has "clean torque" but then they went and messed it up with unclean YCCT. So YAMAHA all this clean torque is fine, do we get clean YCCT with that?

Offline Scott Williams

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 04:42:06 pm »
Thanks, Graham. You gave us a chuckle. When I read BNG on your post I had no idea. You see, I'm rather new to these forums. So BNG meant nothing to me. So I search it on Google. After seeing hundreds of Law Firms, Accounting Firms, even a rock group, I come across an explanation of BNG meaning "Blow n' Go" Seems this is a working girl's abbreviation for a quickie BJ. So my wife asks me what kind of forum this is. I say that most everything on here is serious bike stuff, and find it hard to believe that meaning. So I go back to Google and hunt some more. Finally on page 9 or 10 I see "BNG-Internet Slang". Ahhhh this sounds better..."a motorcycle forum slang abbreviation for Bold New Graphics". Now my wife & I are more "with it". One abbreviation at a time.

Offline Swagger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 05:16:14 pm »
Yeah right ... it's definitely the former  ;)
The force is strong with this one!!!

Offline GrahamD

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 06:47:56 pm »
Thanks, Graham. You gave us a chuckle. When I read BNG on your post I had no idea. You see, I'm rather new to these forums. So BNG meant nothing to me. So I search it on Google. After seeing hundreds of Law Firms, Accounting Firms, even a rock group, I come across an explanation of BNG meaning "Blow n' Go" Seems this is a working girl's abbreviation for a quickie BJ. So my wife asks me what kind of forum this is. I say that most everything on here is serious bike stuff, and find it hard to believe that meaning. So I go back to Google and hunt some more. Finally on page 9 or 10 I see "BNG-Internet Slang". Ahhhh this sounds better..."a motorcycle forum slang abbreviation for Bold New Graphics". Now my wife & I are more "with it". One abbreviation at a time.

:D

It helps if you use it in a sentence to really let it soak in...

"I used to own a Suzuki V-STROM and every year I would wait with anticipation at what the engineers had created. Finally each spring they would reveal the products of their hard work - More BNG"

The VStrom 1000 went from 2002 to 2014 (expected) and I got used to that TLA on the forums. That has to be a record I think, maybe only beaten by the DR650 and KLR.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:53:28 pm by GrahamD »

Offline whisperquiet

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 06:51:04 pm »
2014 = BNG

Offline ldachner

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 07:45:12 pm »
Just got information new 2014 super tenere are coming to Mexico by late December.

Offline GrahamD

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 08:13:45 pm »
Just got information new 2014 super tenere are coming to Mexico by late December.

Cool Maybe we will see it in OZ by December 2015.

I have a feeling that this is more than BNG though. EICMA usually means
AT LEAST Bold New Plastic.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:15:28 pm by GrahamD »

Offline spasm

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 12:18:44 am »
yamaha will have to give it more than BNG to keep up with the other manufactures, that are leaving them miles behind in terms of technology/gadgets. but i doubt it'll be a completely new bike. i hope they bring something amazing out lol a 900, lighter, with lots of power. ours has one of the weakest motors out of the crate. compared to other brands of the big bore traillie group.
i only need one wheel on my bike.... the rear

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 12:49:29 am »
yamaha will have to give it more than BNG to keep up with the other manufactures, that are leaving them miles behind in terms of technology/gadgets...

Who cares about those gadgets?

...but i doubt it'll be a completely new bike. i hope they bring something amazing out lol a 900, lighter, with lots of power. ours has one of the weakest motors out of the crate. compared to other brands of the big bore traillie group.

Who cares about more power in this market segment? Can you use all the power the S-10 makes all the time?

The "big bore traillie group" is not a bunch of sportbikes...  At least not to me. If that's what you want they maybe Yamaha should just put an R-1 engine in there. More power there, but not much off-road capability, kind of like the Triumph Explorer, right? But wait, the Explorer has a shaft-drive, so maybe Yamaha should simply shoehorn the FJR1300 engine in the Super Tenere... Would have more power, and hey, a gear indicator gadget, too!!!  ::025::

Sometimes I really wonder what folks really want out of their bikes...  The Super Tenere is arguably the very best of the "big bore traillie group" off-road, at least of the ones that can still do long-distance road travel in comfort. The KTM may be better off-road, but it's not as comfortable a mega-distance mount and it certainly can't match the Yamaha's reliability. The Triumph Explorer is near useless off-road, and much more of a poseur mount, especially with the Beemer-clone single-sided swingarm. Might as well ride a Kawasaki Versys 1000.

Yes, the BMW has more "technology" and more "gadgets", and costs more money, and breaks down more often, and costs more to maintain, etc., etc., etc.

Me, I bought my Super Tenere because I wanted the best bike for the task it was designed for, and I think Yamaha nailed it. More power would be wasted for its design mission, IMHO. If one wanted an Explorer, or a Multistrada, or a GS, then that's what they should have bought. Personally, I don't want Yamaha to build a clone of any other bike in the marketplace.

Just my two centavos...  YMMV.

Dallara

~
©

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.