Author Topic: Magadan panniers  (Read 1695 times)

Offline puffmtd

Magadan panniers
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:07:19 pm »
I've never been a fan of hard case panniers for various reasons so I've started looking at some of the numerous soft luggage offerings.  I stumbled across these http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/adventure-spec-magadan-panniers.html and from everything I could find on them, they are supposed to be one of the sturdiest, most practical set offered.  I was wondering if anyone has tried them or I'm open to suggestions for some of the ideas you guys might have.

Offline snakebitten

Re: Magadan panniers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:15:31 am »
If I went soft, those would be the ones. Very nice bags. And I agree with him using waterproof bags for liners.

XT1200Z  Biggest Dirt Bike in The World

Offline trikepilot

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:35:05 am »
Any retailers here in the US? A search at Google shopping turned up no results. The link provided is at $530 USD plus trans-atlantic shipping. I am in the market for some soft saddlebags for the more technical offroading riding where I do not want the hard cases (ankle breakers) on the S10. I am considering the Ortliebs or the Giant Loop but these Magadans look like a really great product.
12 SuperTen Raven Black - aka "Fancy"
08 WR250R

Offline fredz43

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:32:35 pm »
Any retailers here in the US? A search at Google shopping turned up no results. The link provided is at $530 USD plus trans-atlantic shipping. I am in the market for some soft saddlebags for the more technical offroading riding where I do not want the hard cases (ankle breakers) on the S10. I am considering the Ortliebs or the Giant Loop but these Magadans look like a really great product.

I used the Ortleib Dry Bag saddlebags on 2 KLR's when touring and was very pleased with them. I saved them to use on the S10 in place of my hard bags whenever I plan any off road touring. Much better price. also, $197 from Aerostich.

http://www.aerostich.com/bags/seat-bags-and-tail-bags/saddlebags/ortlieb-dry-bag-saddlebags.html

Offline puffmtd

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 01:36:11 pm »
No other retailers other than the link above. Total price shipped to Texas was around 510.00 if I remember correctly.

Offline puffmtd

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 08:33:32 pm »
Then there ares these http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/wolfman-rocky-mountain-saddlebags  .  I have the smaller expedition version of these on the KLR and they have worked out extremely nice.

Offline Red dust

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 08:00:36 pm »
I just installed the Magadan Adventure Spec onto my Sw-Motec pannier racks with Rok straps.

The panniers got velcro straps that connect the two, I put those straps under pillion seat for better looks and security.

The panniers got water proof inner bags which is handy to just remove and carry with you and leave the "muddy" panniers attached to the bike.

These panniers can be loaded with lots of stuff and expand when needed.

Got 4 outer pockets and 2 inner pockets. The outer ones are perfect for big bottles or beer cans, 2 of those pockets are quite large and if you have a right size fuel/oil container (1/2 gallon) it would fit there (thinking about a Touratech one). Tried with a 2 liter wine cask and it just fit there!

Will have these bags on the bike most of the time from now and only attach my TraX panniers when traveling further and not "off road", did actually attach the Magadan panniers on top of my TraX panniers and with my large Givi E52, Wolfman tank bag, Wolfman tank panniers I can get up to 200 liter luggage capacity.

I believe the Magadan panniers can be loaded with up to 35 liter each, they state 25 liter but they seem to be way bigger than that.

Good panniers, I think they are great panniers!

Offline sportsguy

• Get off my lawn you little bastard!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 11:30:37 am »
So would these be mounted rackless then?  I know they mount via the straps over the seat, but to manage mounting and control the position of the bags in relation to the swing arm, tire, etc., are folks considering racks behind these?  Always a worthy consideration around exhausts, IMO...

Offline Red dust

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 06:31:32 pm »
I would not mount these without some kind of rack, when they are expanded and full they are quite large, went grocery shopping the other day and the panniers seemed to be bottomless= lot of space.

Offline Icecold Dan

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 09:38:26 am »
I'm a huge fan of Wolfman. Great product with awesome customer service, made right herd in the USA. What more could you ask for?

Offline Red dust

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 10:54:46 am »
Agree that Wolfman is great, got tank bag and tank panniers and soon a duffel bag from Wolfman. Think the Magadan is better for me though, I live in Australia and do not really care too much where they are made as long as the stuff is great, have bough lots of stuff from US already but also from: UK, Italy, Spain and a few more countries, this bike become a multicultural one.

Offline sportsguy

• Get off my lawn you little bastard!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 10:57:25 am »
I already have the Wolfmans on my KTM, so adding their racks to an S10 makes total sense in my case, as I could then swap over my rotopax storage cases and Wolfmans and use them between both bikes. :)