Author Topic: Rumbux Crash Bars/Skid Plate/Light Brackets/Add on Upper Bars for Yamaha Bars  (Read 98691 times)

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
Edit to reflect current 2015 pricing,  lead times and add Torque specs.
Utah Residents - I have to add the 6.5% State Sales tax.  :(

These crash bars allow full removal of both side panels w/o removing the upper bars.  The skid plate comes off with 6 bolts and they are easy to access.  It is necessary to remove the skid plate for oil changes. 
THIS PRODUCT IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE WITH A FENDER EXTENDER!
New 2015 pricing will be as follows and still includes all shipping to your door:

Full Rumbux 3-piece set - Upper Crash bars, Lower Bash Frame, 4.5 Skid Plate - $800.00

Rumbux 2-piece set - Lower Bash Frame W/4.5 Skid plate - $500.00
(Note that this will still allow you to add the upper Crash Bars at a later date)

Upper Add on Hoop to OEM Yamaha bars - (replaces the stock upper hoop to give better side protection, no skid plate option) - $375.00

Rumbux 3-piece Aux light brackets - (can be used with Yamaha/PIAA lights or others) - $50.00  (plus shipping if ordered alone)

New simple light clamps - $25/pr  (plus shipping if ordered alone)

Rumbux Crash Bar Bags - $80/Pair  (plus shipping of ordered alone)  These are made of Cordura™ nylon and have dust/water proof zippers.  Black w/trim in your choice of orange, red, blue or reflective gray.  (late '14 running change, zippers now open rear to front.  Earlier bags opened front to rear)

These are sized to fit the Rumbux upper bars and fit both the 3-Part Kit and the OEM Add On Upper Bar.  Other soft products available on request.  Prices vary by material type.  (Cordura nylon or PVC.)

Upgrade 4.5 mm Skid Plate - $80.00 (all current orders ship with 4.5mm skid plates.  This is only an upgrade for '13 versions or a replacement for damaged units)

Rumbux is still very competitive when compared to ordering a quality skid plate and Crash Bars from another vendor.  Don't forget, shipping on all Rumbux orders is included in the listed price for the lower 48 US states.  AK is possible, but extremely expensive for UPS for a full set, but not terrible for the Lower Bash Frame W/Skid plate if done USPS and accepting the slower delivery method.  Canadian orders can mostly be done at the free shipping cost, please pm/email post code to verify.  Buyer is responsible for VAT and any other import fees.

Unless otherwise noted, all prices include shipping to your door, never an additional charge beyond what's listed.

Typically I order 1-2 extra full 3-Piece sets and typically they are sold before they arrive in the US, but don't count on being the guy to get that set, please commit to the order if you want the product so that you won't miss out on the next order and have to wait until the next one builds.

If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to post them here, PM me, email me at eric.gonedark@gmail.com or call me at 435-817-0809

EricVTHIS PRODUCT IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE WITH A FENDER EXTENDER!

Upper add on Crash Bars for Yamaha crash bars pics.
(Pics used with permission from Deon @ Rumbux ZA)

This replaces the Yamaha upper hoop with the heavier Rumbux upper hoop and adds upper side protection.  The upper hoop ties in at the top with a flat bar brace and bolts to the Yamaha bars at the normal spots, PLUS an additional bolt point on each side at the factory fall over bracket.

If you want in on the next order, call me at 435-817-0809 and have some plastic ready.   :)  I continue to place a new order as demand reaches the order threshold.  Customers will get updates during the build and shipping process and as fast a turn around time as I can give on re-packaging and shipping the bars out once they arrive in the States.

Got questions?  Feel free to PM me, call me or post here and I'll do my best to answer them.  Phone calls from 8 am to 9pm MDT Please.  If I don't answer, please leave a voice message and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Torque spec info:

The 8mm oem drop guard bolts are 8.7 ft/lbs.

The 10mm rear side stand bolt is 46 ft/lbs. (rear throttle side mount)

The 8mm rear exhaust bracket bolt is 14 ft/lbs, (rear clutch side mount).

The center long bolt that holds the dash on, where the flat bar goes
is 11 ft/lbs

The two bolts between the upper and lower Rumbux are nylocks, so just
get them tight, no need to go overboard there. Same for the small 6mm
bolts and nuts on the front end of the flat bar.

I'd recommend using blue (242) loctite or equivalent on the bolts.
(not on the nylock ones!!)

Tip: When you're putting the lower bar on, leave the rear bolt out on
the oem tip over guards, as you'll just be pulling that out again to
mount the upper bars.

Other than the one bolt at 46 ft/lbs, they torque values are mostly to
prevent you from over tightening things. That should tell you that
they are not critical. If your torque wrench doesn't go down that
far, don't sweat it, just snug them up, then give a small extra pull,
like 1/8 of a turn or less and you'll be fine.

Eric V.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5/12/2013
This is the new warning page that will go out with every 2-part and 3-part Rumbux kit I sell.   I'll be editing this into the first post as well.  It's intended to make riders aware of the dangers, not scare them off the product.  But I'm sure I'll lose a few customers because of it.  At some point, every bike will drag hard parts, but I want people to understand the potential risks.  Most Super Ten riders probably will never scrape pegs, but there certainly is a contingent that does.   ::008::

*****!Warning!*****!Warning!*****!Warning!*****

Adding aftermarket accessories to your motorcycle can alter the ground clearance.  You may need to adjust your riding style to avoid contact with the ground during aggressive cornering or on uneven ground.

When properly installed, this Rumbux Crash Bar will cause your Super Tenere to be wider and lower than prior to it's installation.  Because of this, it is possible to contact the ground just after the left side footpeg feeler will scrape during high lean angle turns and before the center stand contacts on the right side.  This can result in levering the rear wheel off the ground, and directly or indirectly cause a crash resulting in motorcycle damage, injury or death!

By installing this product you are accepting responsibility for your own actions!

EVal Innovations can not control how you ride.  Please use caution until you understand if and how the installation of your new Rumbux crash bar system impacts your riding style.

EVal Innovations Inc. is not liable for injuries or damages resulting from crashes where the crash bars may have contacted the ground during riding.  By installing Rumbux Adventure Products on your motorcycle, you implicitly accept these terms, and responsibility for your actions of choosing to install this product and choosing to ride in a manner which could cause motorcycle damage, injury or death.

Motorcycling is an inherently dangerous activity.  Please ride aware, ride safe and ride often.

Thank you for your purchase!
-------------------------------------

The actual page has the "warning!" in red, but yellow shows up better here.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:55:48 am by EricV »
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline Joe-JOE

I have givi bars.
I'm wondering if I can use just the rumbux skid plate?

Pics look like the skid plate may bolt into where the factory tip over brackets are where my givi guards are mounted.
The tabs for the hoop might be a place to bolt highway pegs, if the skid worked with the givi.

Offline sallydog

count me in for a set eric. how soon will you place the order?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:47:43 pm by sallydog »
OCCR

Just dip me in beer and toss me in the drunk chicks.

Offline imrubicon

Man I ordered my skid plate and some givi's like two days ago LOL
2012 Tenere
2005 ABS Goldwing Traded up
2006 ST-1300ABS  Missed but went to a good home
2009 ZX-14  Sold to the man who liked it more than I
Remember if its old and you are old its not worth as much as you paid for it P^

Offline Z06

Interested in lines if you do them.
Super Tenere

Bikes in last few years  2007 Goldwing 2003 Goldwing 1998 Suzuki TLS1000  1998 Honda VTR1000  1998 Yamaha R1 2002 Yamaha Roadstar 2003 Honda VTX1800 2002 Honda RC51 2007 KTM525  2009 KTM300  2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 Ducati 916 2000 Yamaha R1 2004 Yamaha FJR1300  2004 Suzuki Burgman 650

Offline EricV

I have givi bars.
I'm wondering if I can use just the rumbux skid plate?

Pics look like the skid plate may bolt into where the factory tip over brackets are where my givi guards are mounted.
The tabs for the hoop might be a place to bolt highway pegs, if the skid worked with the givi.
This combo hasn't been tried yet. 1/23/15  edit - This works, and yes a mounting point is shared with the Givi, but they stack up fine and it's now a proven combo.  Most other brands of upper crash bar require modification, some major fabrication.  The Rumbux lower bars/skid plate uses the front bolt where the factory tip over brackets go, along with other mounts lower at the back.  It's a flat bracket with space over the top of it, so it appears that the Rumbux would sit underneath the Givi and work fine that way.  You may have to space out the rear Givi bracket, depending the rigidity of the Givi.  Just a thick washer or two.  And yes, the tabs could be used for pegs, but they are too far forward, unless you have very long legs.  Clamps on the lower bars for any 1" bar would give you a lot of highway peg options too.  Kuryakyn has a couple of options that work well.  Longhorn and 90º clamps.

Note:  The left side, (clutch side), factory tip over bracket is also a lower radiator mount.  Rumbux feels this should stay in place, unless you have an alternate bracket to support the bottom of the Rad.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:07:14 pm by EricV »
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline EricV

I got a good question on ADV and thought I would post it and my response here too.

Quote from: avc8130
I am not a huge fan of the upper hoop, personally.

How much protection (in a tip over) will the lower skid plate portion provide? Would you say it is similar in protection to most other guard offerings?

Any "tipped-over" pics to show what touches first? 
 ac

I think the lower side bars offer protection that is equal to some crash bars out there, certainly better than the stock tip over guards.  I don't think the lower alone is equal to some of the other offerings when you are riding w/o bags and in rocky terrain where uneven ground or an errant bolder next to the trail could be an upper side impact issue.  One of the reasons I like the full set is that it not only guards against lower side impacts, but fully protects the radiator/fan in upper impacts too.

Tipped over pics?:huh  I've nev... well, ok, I have dirt napped the S10 several times, but it was prior to the Rumbux crash bars going on, so I took the bike out to the front patio and 'laid her down' :wink: so the inmates could have a look.  Several shots just taken.  First with bags on, which clearly has an impact on how far over the bike will go.  With the bags on, the lower bar doesn't even touch ground on flat surface.  However, with the bags off, it does.  I hope the following pics answer your questions, but feel free to ask for a specific pic and I'll do my best.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:24:14 am by EricV »
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline EricV

Pics of bike on it's side.  Forum doesn't seem to like larger 640 x 480 pics now.  :question:

Now with bags off.

Also some interesting questions via PM. There is some interest in using the Rumbux lower bars/skid plate with other companies upper bars. This has not been done or test fit at this point.

(edit update 1/23/15)  What I see is that in a few cases this will be possible w/o modifications. The lower Rumbux mounts at the same front bolt as most other upper crash bars and has a flat tab that should fit under or over the other bar's mounting bracket or tab, depending on design. It may require a little muscle or spreading of one product or another, but should not cause any issues.

Givi works fine, but most others do not work w/o modification.  Part of the issue is that Rumbux uses the oem plastic lower radiator support, keeping it in place.  Others have that bracket as part of their upper crash bars and that is an interference point.  Another issue is simply the way the two brands share some mounting points.  AltRider requires major fabrication, Happy Trails is really a no-go unless you have major fabrication skills.

For those that don't care for the upper hoop design, this may be an alternative option that upgrades the skid plate to a non-engine mounted design w/o having to replace your existing upper bars.  That said, it's not recommended due to the various fitment issues that can occur.  No guarantee of a bolt up fit when combining other brands with Rumbux.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:14:06 pm by EricV »
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline Salty

• Salty
Salty here. Eric think you can get Deon to make up some highway peg mounts for the lower bars (with corrected angle), such as the pegs would fold back over the lower bar.

Ride Safe

Offline EricV

Salty here. Eric think you can get Deon to make up some highway peg mounts for the lower bars (with corrected angle), such as the pegs would fold back over the lower bar.

Ride Safe
Not sure.  I need to play with the brackets and see what works and doesn't.  Sort of thinking it's our issue, not Deon's.  There are some really cool highway peg brackets out there, but too spendy for my taste.
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline sallydog

any updates on this order?
OCCR

Just dip me in beer and toss me in the drunk chicks.

Offline EricV

Traveling this weekend, but we really need a couple more buyers to place the order.
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline stevepsd

***********************************************************************************************************
I also have a s/s braid front two brake line kit that replaces the oem rubber front brake lines, eliminating the cross over the fender line.  Not sure if the interest is there for this product.  Price point would be $110.00 w/free shipping to lower 48 states.  Let me know if this is something you would like and if the interest is there, I'll have a run made up.  These would include a new Yamaha OEM short bolt for the throttle side caliper and would replace the stock lines from the junction point under the triple tree.  If you're not comfortable bleeding the brake system on a linked brake bike, this would be something to have a shop install for you.  Easy install though.  Allows fender raising or removal for additional mud clearance.

I'm interested as well.

I don't like the rubber lines, and especially don't care for the crossover line setup.

How about a replacement for the clutch line and the rear caliper line as well?
'12 XT1200Z SuperTénéré

Offline Northernstar

• Work in Progress
Eric,

Just curious why the you have this for the lower part :

It looks like there is enough clearance but I may be mistaken.

Thanks
Frank
"There are those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that wonder what happened." Libby

Offline stevepsd

Eric,

Just curious why the you have this for the lower part :

It looks like there is enough clearance but I may be mistaken.

Thanks
Frank

Several folks have had their fender extender get caught on the front of the skid plate (several different mfg of skid plates, btw).  Typically happens under almost full compression of the front forks, when the gap between the fender extender and the front lip of the skid plate close to zero.  Not a problem (so far) with my AltRider skid, and several folks have adjusted the front of their skids so it wont catch the extender.

Do a search any you will see several pics. 

Update:  here's the thread:  http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=3942.0
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:55:45 pm by stevepsd »
'12 XT1200Z SuperTénéré