Author Topic: 21" front wheel for the Super Tenere.  (Read 36601 times)

Offline Wasp

21" front wheel for the Super Tenere.
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:41:30 pm »
For those that do not cross borders into other forums (ADVrider), there is a development underway at the moment to set up 21" front and 18" rear rims on the Super Tenere.

Some will find this interesting, and some may poohoo it and find it absolutely useless - You make up your own mind.
Personally - I plan to go 21" front + single disc with 90/90-21 tire, and 18" rear with 130 tire.

I will post results and development here as things progress, but go here to read from the start: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759952

Bare in mind, this is Woody's Wheel Works project. I (among others) are just interested crash test dummy's.

Greg.

Offline Firefight911

• SmugMug Site
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:47:06 pm »
I can not recommend Woody and his shop highly enough.

I had a great, lengthy conversation with him in Death Valley and he brought me up to speed and reviewed my bike.  He is a great guy, does stellar work, and you can be assured that if Woody puts his name to it, it will work!!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jo5bql
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phil Challinor

Where  am I?

'12 Yamaha Tenere born August 4, 2011

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
Re: 21" front wheel for the Super Tenere.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 12:07:19 am »
Should be err, interesting with a 21" front wheel.  You can nearly kiss most skid plates with the 19" front as is.  A 21" front may be a knob shortening device in action at full suspension travel. :o
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline Wasp

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 12:17:13 am »
Should be err, interesting with a 21" front wheel.  You can nearly kiss most skid plates with the 19" front as is.  A 21" front may be a knob shortening device in action at full suspension travel. :o

Yeh, it's gonna be close.. We'll have to see how it fits and what workarounds there are.

If nothing else, it will end up with steller brakes at full suspension travel. ::26::

Greg.

@ firefighter - He's a funny old bastard too.
We have skyped many times, often at 4:00am (but only with a full moon).

Offline Tiger_one

• 2012 Yukon Rally attendee
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 07:37:13 am »
Yeah, I saw the other bike on your thread, pretty awesome, but 21" front and 18" rear with the seat mod, he must be a GIANT!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18321940#post18321940
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 07:59:24 am by Tiger_one »
David H
14 KTM 1190 Adv
13 KTM 500xc-w (plated)

Offline ColoRider

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:11:48 am »
Wow - could be interesting!!   Keep us posted Greg!!!

BTW,does anyone make a tubeless 21" tire, or will this be a tube-type venture?

Rod
Rod ~ Die Hard

'15 DL650XT
'15 XTZ12EF (GBNF)
'12 XTZ12BL (GBNF)

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come

My SPOT

Offline Wasp

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 09:20:59 am »
Couldn't help myself - Had to stick the 21" on...

So here's the deal. I thought I would have no problem leaving the newly acquired 21" wheel sitting up in the shed patiently waiting for me to get around to playing with it over the next few days....
Wrong....

I got up just after the crack of nine this morning convincing myself that I need to find a 90/90-21 tire to stick this sucker on the bike and see how it fits up.

It happen that a mate up the road (KTM Adv rider) had a one third to half worn Bridgestone 90/90-21 Trail Wing 41 tire, complete with appropriate tube. YeeeHawww. 30 minutes later the tire was spooned on and pumped up ready for install.

First things first - I weighed Woody's complete 21" wheel assembly which with spacers + disc's + tire and tube and it come in at 11kg.
I whipped the OEM wheel of the bike and zip tied the R/H spacer and ABS cover onto it, and weigh in at 14kg...
BONUS........ 3kg of "un-sprung mass" lighter = Ya gotta be happy with that ::015::
You can bank on saving another 1kg+ with the single disc wheel set up.

So - I fitted the new 21" wheel assembly up, and thought, hmm, that front mudguard looks like it might just fit back on.. Be good if it does because I can go for a ride and try the new wheel without the need to worry about brake lines catching the tire.....
BONUS again...... The OEM guard clears with about 3>5mm gap.
On goes the mudguard, brake lines securely clipped back in place, and front ABS sensor zip tied out of the way.

This is how it all looks this afternoon.
Right click and "view image" for full size pics....

A couple more dimensions:
The original tire clearance to the (top bend line) bash plate is 81mm
The clearance now with the 90/90-21 tire (half worn) is 66mm

The 110/80-19 Karoo2(T) mounted and inflated is 665mm diameter.
The 90/90-21 TrailWing (1/3rd to 1/2 worn) mounted and inflated is 696mm diameter.

Wheel change over completed it's time to roll the bike out to open ground and try and compress the forks to see how much tire to bash plate clearance we have.

I had my son (6' x 100kg) roll the bike down the driveway, weight the front wheel, and slam the front brakes on to load the forks as much as possible, and we ended up using all but the last 32mm (1 1/4") of travel.
This was good enough for me as the last bit of travel would place the tire on about the same (or reducing) trajectory and would not get any closer to the bash plate.
That said, it is damn close now and would absolutely hit with a new tire.

Unfortunately the last pic is the one that I really wanted as clear as possible. As Murphy's Law would have it this turns out to be the shitty one.
You get the message though and can see that there is only a whisker in it.

Next step is to remove the SW-Motech bash plate and just go with the OEM plastic component for a while. Use of this wheel may mean that I have to modify the SWM plate or possibly even look at manufacturing something myself.

I will ride the bike around as is for a period while I re-visit the design of the high front guard and sus out exactly what I will do with the dual brake lines.

If only we had the 18" rear rim here Woody....
I would be able to stick a 130(ish)/18 tire on the back and see how this baby can really perform off-road...

Hope you enjoyed the read and the pics - Keep watching coz there's a lot more to come.

Greg.

Offline Brntrt

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 11:32:24 am »
Far out Wasp. What about ABS and TCS? Still function?

Mark

Mark

2011 Tiger 800(sold)
2012 Tenere
2008 KLR 650(sold)
2000 Kawasaki VN 800B
1990 KLR 650

Offline EricV

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 11:40:15 am »
Far out Wasp. What about ABS and TCS? Still function?
Not Wasp, but kinda hard for ABS and TCS to function w/o the ABS sensor or ring in the hub.  Note that Greg tied the ABS sensor off and the 21" wheel is not using the stock hub, so has no ABS ring or magnets.  IOW, no, the ABS and TCS don't function with the 21" wheel he has on now.
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline Tiger_one

• 2012 Yukon Rally attendee
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 11:49:00 am »
Correct Wasp opted for the wheel without ABS/TC to make it lighter.  Woody does offer the ABS/TC version but will require the OEM hubs.

Very good job/pics wasp.  Pretty surprising that the fender fit. 
David H
14 KTM 1190 Adv
13 KTM 500xc-w (plated)

Offline ~TABASCO~

• RIDE ON ADV is what I do !
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 12:53:50 pm »
I really dig the look and weight of that hub and rotors..   They look killer.   I gotta stay with the ABS and TC though..
Lowering Links & Rising Links shipping now !

Shipping HEIDENAU'S... In stock

www.rideonadv.com
2012 Super Tenere - 1"bar riser - motoX grips - ECUnleashed flash - Barnett clutch pressure plate - UNI filter - Air box mod - Akrapovic custom muffler - Arrow headers - PCV&AT - Ohlins suspension front & rear - Trailtech Voyager - Steel braded lines on everything - Ride On skid plate - Carbon fork guards - rear disc gard - rear res guard - WC turn signals - WC headlight guard - ADV tires - WC/ride on graphics - sync TB - Baja Squadrons & S2 - custom dash LED's - Custom light harness - Ride On custom light switch - Keyless gas cap

Offline JaimeV

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 04:11:45 pm »
I really dig the look and weight of that hub and rotors..   They look killer.   I gotta stay with the ABS and TC though..

Yes, I'm really interested in a 21" front wheel and Woody's look incredible, but I want to keep the ABS and TC too.
Trips, bikes, farkles ... visit my blog: http://traildreamer.com/

Offline Brntrt

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 05:28:06 pm »
Note that Greg tied the ABS sensor off and the 21" wheel is not using the stock hub, so has no ABS ring or magnets.  IOW, no, the ABS and TCS don't function with the 21" wheel he has on now.

Yea I noticed that right after I posted.

Mark

Mark

2011 Tiger 800(sold)
2012 Tenere
2008 KLR 650(sold)
2000 Kawasaki VN 800B
1990 KLR 650

Offline sail2xxs

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 08:46:12 am »
Looking at the last picture, I am wondering whether it would make sense (or even be possible) to re-locate the oil filter or put an elbow on it to turn it 90 degrees so there is more room to shorten the bash plate a bit.

Chris
IBA # 7254
'12 Super Tenere 130,728 miles at trade-in
'14 Super Tenere

Offline EricV

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 10:04:02 am »
Looking at the last picture, I am wondering whether it would make sense (or even be possible) to re-locate the oil filter or put an elbow on it to turn it 90 degrees so there is more room to shorten the bash plate a bit.

Chris
Anything is possible.  Oil filter relocation kits exist in generic form.  Just buy the adapter plates you need/want and some fittings and hose.  Then figure out where you would move the filter to.  As far as just a 90˚ fitting at the filter mount, it would need to be a bit more involved to avoid fatigue and cracking.
Eval Innovations Inc.