Author Topic: Tires That Fit - The List  (Read 54711 times)

Offline HeliMark

Re: Tires That Fit - The List
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2018, 01:44:36 pm »
How many miles are you going to be doing? Both the K60, and the Mitas E-07's will do 10K+ miles and closer to 14K miles, unless you are a heavy hand. Both are good for what you are looking for performance wise, although I like the E-07's more in the rain.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:46:57 pm by HeliMark »
2013 S10

Offline The Mountain

« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2018, 01:50:06 pm »
How many miles are you going to be doing? Both the K60, and the Mitas E-07's will do 10K+ miles and closer to 14K miles, unless you are a heavy hand. Both are good for what you are looking for performance wise, although I like the E-07's more in the rain.

Mark

If I go, it'll be because of work, so I'll be daily-driving plus weekend jaunts and the occasional longer trip, and I'll be there for at least two years. Since the riding season is year-round almost everywhere there, I figure at least 6000-8000mi per year.

Offline 6scott6

« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2018, 10:08:08 pm »
Pretty sure the Michelin Anakee Wild also fit & should be on THE LIST
 ::002::

Offline bruinTENEREguy

« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2018, 10:57:47 pm »
Ok. So I'm due for a set of rubber. The existing Mitas E07 that came on my bike have about 7k miles. They aren't totally done, but the front is getting the uneven wear, the rear is to the "wear bars" and the tires are just getting aged and due for replacement so I can take off on multi day trips with no worry.

I'm looking at either another set of E07, or the E09, or the E10.

The 10 has some appeal. It looks nice and chunky, but also like it has considerable contact area.

My riding is like 80%+ slab, but I don't want an 80/20 tire because i want to be able to handle sand and dirt for my upcoming adventures. Basically,  I want a tire that  is much better than 20% capable on fire roads, dirt trails, and sand. The E07 seem good, but the front seems to not have a lot of meat on it.

That said, I also want confidence and, more importantly,  good traction while turning deep into the corners on the twisties. I'm not talking knee dragging, but significant lean and pushing 2x the yellow signs.

Which should I buy? Thanks!

Offline ace50

« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2018, 11:24:46 am »
Checkswrecks post #122 is really cool, but would take someone to keep it updated, and with a little more info.
That's not me so......

My addition is, stock Battlax mileage with 100% pavement is:
12K on fronts and 8K on rears.

Thinking of trying Michelin Pilot Road 4/5 next time as my rear is getting close now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:27:15 am by ace50 »

Offline Cycledude

« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2018, 12:06:53 pm »
Ok. So I'm due for a set of rubber. The existing Mitas E07 that came on my bike have about 7k miles. They aren't totally done, but the front is getting the uneven wear, the rear is to the "wear bars" and the tires are just getting aged and due for replacement so I can take off on multi day trips with no worry.

I'm looking at either another set of E07, or the E09, or the E10.

The 10 has some appeal. It looks nice and chunky, but also like it has considerable contact area.

My riding is like 80%+ slab, but I don't want an 80/20 tire because i want to be able to handle sand and dirt for my upcoming adventures. Basically,  I want a tire that  is much better than 20% capable on fire roads, dirt trails, and sand. The E07 seem good, but the front seems to not have a lot of meat on it.

That said, I also want confidence and, more importantly,  good traction while turning deep into the corners on the twisties. I'm not talking knee dragging, but significant lean and pushing 2x the yellow signs.

Which should I buy? Thanks!
It’s disappointing to hear that your Mitas is nearly shot with only 7,000 miles, do you consider yourself hard on tires ?  I’ve seen folks claim the Mitas is good for 10,000+ miles and because of that was seriously considering buying a set for our trip to Inuvik this summer.
email ehcycledude@yahoo.com
2013 Tenere heading for Inuvik about August 10th 2018
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=21543.0

Alaska and western Canada trip planing
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?board=84.0

2002 Honda GL1800, yellow, currently 508,000 smiles

Offline bruinTENEREguy

« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2018, 07:09:07 pm »
It’s disappointing to hear that your Mitas is nearly shot with only 7,000 miles, do you consider yourself hard on tires ?  I’ve seen folks claim the Mitas is good for 10,000+ miles and because of that was seriously considering buying a set for our trip to Inuvik this summer.

To be honest, they might have 3k left in them. The rear is getting down to the part in the middle that I've seen people groove with a dremel to get more dirt handling out of the tire in the last stretch.

The front has the corner exit patter going on, where the trailing edge is significantly worn while the leading edge still has quite a bit of meat. I just don't think it's really in ideal shape for my next anticipated journey, which will likely be either Baja or the Nevada Backcountry Discovery Route.

And, yes, I am kind of hard on tires. That said, I myself have only put about 2400 miles on these tires.

Lastly, I think the manufacture date was 2012, which is another reason I'm looking to go ahead and do them.

After all my research, it seems they are still the way to go, considering others' experience with wear etc. Some folks are saying the Shinko 804/805 are good for anywhere from 1500-6k. I have a feeling that tires on my bike would be on the low end of that range.

Edit: My hope in making my last post was that someone could suggest a tire that handles a little better on the slab without sacrificing off road capabilities and wear. The E07 is just a touch squirrely for me. Maybe a newer set will feel better. Looks like they are on sale some places. I'm game to give another go.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:12:08 pm by bruinTENEREguy »

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2018, 05:39:17 pm »
Another tire not on the list on page 9 - Pirelli Angel GT  Available in the standard sizes.  Expected wear judging by the Sport Touring riders is over 10k miles.  I just mounted up a pair, so we will see.  These are dedicated street rubber.  Good in the wet and the dry.

@The Mountain - Have you ridden in India before?  If not, you're in for a wake up call.  It's ... interesting.  Better in the South by Mumbai, scarier in the North around Delhi.  Upgrade the horn.  Install some Mitas EO7 Dakars and in a couple of years get what you can locally.  Why do you care about mounting something here that is available there too?  You get what you can when you need it and roll on.  Regardless of what you choose, it will probably be a special order item when you're in India just for the sizes.  No shop is going to stock big bike sizes when all their business is scooters and 125s.  And if they did have a pair, who knows how old they would be!

Try to stay alive.  It's more challenging there.
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline RaginTxn

« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2018, 05:39:12 pm »
Another one to add to the list are the "new" Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs. Just ordered my set - we'll see...
-R.TXN

13 Yamaha Super Tenere - DD
99 Honda VFR800i - spoken for
08 Honda VTX1800T - sold
04 Honda 919 - sold
01 Honda VT1100C - sold

Offline iClint

« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2018, 07:51:44 am »
Another tire not on the list on page 9 - Pirelli Angel GT  Available in the standard sizes.  Expected wear judging by the Sport Touring riders is over 10k miles.  I just mounted up a pair, so we will see.  These are dedicated street rubber.  Good in the wet and the dry.

@The Mountain - Have you ridden in India before?  If not, you're in for a wake up call.  It's ... interesting.  Better in the South by Mumbai, scarier in the North around Delhi.  Upgrade the horn.  Install some Mitas EO7 Dakars and in a couple of years get what you can locally.  Why do you care about mounting something here that is available there too?  You get what you can when you need it and roll on.  Regardless of what you choose, it will probably be a special order item when you're in India just for the sizes.  No shop is going to stock big bike sizes when all their business is scooters and 125s.  And if they did have a pair, who knows how old they would be!

Try to stay alive.  It's more challenging there.

I won't fault the Angels I love them in fact, but from my experience 5-6,000 km's maximum of weekend sport touring on my old VFR1200F similar weight to the S10 more power and torque though. the only way I could see getting any more milage out of them would be a lot of very sedate commuting.

Offline treybrad

« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2018, 01:45:29 pm »
I won't fault the Angels I love them in fact, but from my experience 5-6,000 km's maximum of weekend sport touring on my old VFR1200F similar weight to the S10 more power and torque though. the only way I could see getting any more milage out of them would be a lot of very sedate commuting.

I really enjoyed the stick of the Angel GT as well, but it definitely won't win any longevity awards in my experience either. I burned through one in 6,850 miles on an NC700X (160/60/17 -- lighter and much less powerful). The lack of tread down the middle stressed me out -- I might have gotten another 500-1,000 miles on it if I really tried, but I just couldn't tell. For reference, I was getting 10-12k miles out of PR4 (15k out of a PR3) on that bike.

That said, tires are so dependent on rider weight, riding style, speed, heat, pressure, etc, etc, etc.... who knows!

trey
2017 Yamaha Super Tenere