Author Topic: Sparkplugs  (Read 30039 times)

Offline Xclimation

Re: Sparkplugs
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2018, 05:36:21 pm »
Just replaced mine today at 12200 miles. I replaced them with NGK laser iridium CR8EIB-9 or 5258.
 The picture is the plugs that came out of my bike and what you're looking at is the order that they are in the bike as if you are sitting in the seat looking forward. The boxes are the new plugs. I save the old plugs. The old plugs look good my engines running as it's suppose to according to the plugs I double check the gap of the plugs that came out it was at .032 which is what I set the new plugs. So it didn't necessarily need a plug change. Didn't have to chance to ride it yet with the new plugs. Started it up; seem to run a little bit more steady but I'm sure that's just what I wanted to hear... as you can see the one plug that is the inside on drivers left has some water intrusion this picture I did not clean it off or anything it looks like it might have been water from being cleaned off because there was some white looking mineral dried up stuff. I have ridden through rain a few times especially about a year ago ran through a soaking rain but this looks more like from a faucet or hose based on the mineral build up. It wasn't bad or catastrophic but it was there. When replacing the plugs I used that extra o-ring as talked about in another thread along with some high temperature seal lubricant. Hopefully that'll make a difference be sure you have various types of extensions for your ratchet when doing this. The far-right spark plug can be a little bit of a challenge I used wobble extensions which I don't like to do when doing spark plugs that's all I had at the time, easy job overall I timed it took me 51 minutes next time I can probably do it in 30 I took my sweet time and was meticulous.
Picture is sideways....the top of the picture is the left as if you are sitting on the bike.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:43:46 pm by Xclimation »
2015 Super Tenere Power Commander PCFC, Catless OEM headers, Delkevic slip-on, Uni-filters, Modified Airbox, Altrider Crash bars and skid plate, Flat seat mod. Dash in-fill, Nighteyes LED headlight bulbs, SW motech tank bag, Madstad windshield bracket, Parabellum/Give Airgflow windshield (Using stock windshield mostly) Touratech Headlight guard, Rox Risers, RideonAdv. extended brake/clutch lines

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2018, 05:44:02 pm »
What NGK plug did you use for the Laser Iridium replacements?  Did they have the extended tip like the OEMs?
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

Offline Xclimation

« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2018, 09:18:11 pm »
What NGK plug did you use for the Laser Iridium replacements?  Did they have the extended tip like the OEMs?
2015 Super Tenere Power Commander PCFC, Catless OEM headers, Delkevic slip-on, Uni-filters, Modified Airbox, Altrider Crash bars and skid plate, Flat seat mod. Dash in-fill, Nighteyes LED headlight bulbs, SW motech tank bag, Madstad windshield bracket, Parabellum/Give Airgflow windshield (Using stock windshield mostly) Touratech Headlight guard, Rox Risers, RideonAdv. extended brake/clutch lines

Offline Xclimation

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2018, 06:17:53 am »

a 150 mile review with these spark plugs. Bike does run smoother. It does feel like it pulls a little more and a little more power but.....not sure if it's my "butt dyno" telling me this. I tried to tell myself it was the butt dyno but it does feel slightly better. I don't know if this is possible (could be another butt dyno thing) but I swear I feel less engine braking?
Not sure could've been my ride and how and how long I was stopping but it did seem bike is runner a little hotter.
But the smoothness and idling smoother was definitely there. Not sure about gas mileage yet.

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2018, 03:40:35 pm »

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2018, 03:55:55 pm »
I double check the gap of the plugs that came out it was at .032 which is what I set the new plugs.

Mmmm, I would not "adjust" / "set" an Iridium plug.

You check them at the purchase counter. If they are not correct gap, you hand it back and request another one.

Do *not* change an Iridium plug gap!
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS.

Offline ace50

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2018, 07:47:44 am »
Oh my gosh, I just realized I'm @ 16.5K on my bike and haven't changed the spark plugs yet!  ???

Hope It doesn't blow-up before I get home..............seems to be running really well though!  ::26::

Offline cycledelic relic

« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2018, 08:59:02 am »
There are more than 3 letters in the spelling of Yamaha.....you should be fine

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Offline Xclimation

« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2018, 11:04:09 am »
Mmmm, I would not "adjust" / "set" an Iridium plug.

You check them at the purchase counter. If they are not correct gap, you hand it back and request another one.

Do *not* change an Iridium plug gap!

To be honest I did not know this! But they were all gapped perfectly at .032. I just checked the gap with a feeler type plug gauge. Just looked up why one shouldn't do this.  (Electrode is thin and will break too easy) I wonder if there was a warning on the box?
I wouldn't be able to check the gap at parts counter because I got them by mail.