Author Topic: No idle and high idle problem  (Read 30639 times)

Offline Ramseybella

Re: No idle and high idle problem
« Reply #255 on: May 11, 2018, 10:19:14 pm »
I'm Wondering if they are using the Generation 2 harnesses on this switch? I didn't ask. :-X
"Technology applied for the sake of those who wish to escape it"

Offline Super08

« Reply #256 on: May 11, 2018, 10:29:34 pm »
Coming back to this thread after I made comments about my 16 acting up last fall. Twice during my last ride of the year it stalled. Once on the highway when blipping the throttle during a downshift and another when I pulled in the clutch at the traffic lights. So far this year I have had zero occurrences. I don't know if it is because I now have more time on the engine or if it is because I did a lot of work on the bike and was in the electrical compartment quite a bit doing wiring and moving the harness around. Either way I hope it keeps running as good as it is now as it is perfect.
16 Tenere
18 FJR

Offline tntmo

« Reply #257 on: May 19, 2018, 09:07:56 pm »
I bought my 2012 Tenere last fall.   Within the first week of owning the bike, I had it stall at stop signs a few times.  I wrote this off, thinking perhaps I overfilled the tank on my first fill up.  It has happened a few times since then, pulling up to a red light or stop sign the bike idles down to about 500 rpm and dies.  Will crank and not start unless giving a bit of throttle, then need to keep revving the bike to keep it running.  After a bit, it works fine again.

I rode from San Diego to Orange county last week, it stalled on me 4-5 times as I exited the freeway and got to my destination.  After sitting a few minutes, the bike ran flawless the remainder of the day.  Yesterday I rode to a friend's retirement party.  After getting fuel, it stalled on me 3-4 times and then was fine.  Today, a 150 mile ride and initially it stalled a few times due to low idle and then went into high idle....about 3500-4000 rpm.  I tried revving it, thinking it had a sticky throttle or something.  No change.  After a while, I pulled over and shut off the bike.  After waiting a minute or two, I restarted it and it idled fine.  No issues for the rest of the ride.

So this was my first time having the high idle issue, but have had several instances of the low idle/stalling.  It's happened a bit more over the last week, and now after reading this thread it seems like I'm having the same symptoms that many of you have had.   With a long trip planned coming up soon, this is the last thing I want to have to deal with!   

Offline 911guy

« Reply #258 on: May 20, 2018, 01:57:08 pm »
You are describing the exact same issue that I had. I have not looked at this thread for a few weeks but noticed a commant regarding reseating / cleaning connectors. My dealer told me the tech did exactly that and tested all sensors. They did say the temperature sensor was out of tolerance and replaced but it still happened. Yamaha asked to have the valve adjustment checked  but they were in tolerance. The next call to Yamaha they offered to replace the wiring harness. They paid for parts and labor. I did pay for the other work done prior to the harness replacement.  I think I have put 8,000 miles on the bike since and have had no issues. Yamaha US is very aware of this issue and few phone calls from your dealer should get results. I am not sure how much this would cost if you had to pay but I was at the point of pushing it off a cliff before the throttle stuck and I went with it.

Offline tntmo

« Reply #259 on: May 20, 2018, 02:58:59 pm »
I did purchase an extended warranty when I got the bike, not a Yamaha one but through another company.  I am likely going to just take my trip as is and document any issues and have it looked at afterwards.  Otherwise the bike could be in the shop for a while to get the right answer on this.

Online 2daMax

« Reply #260 on: May 21, 2018, 01:26:16 am »
Rust debris in the fuel pump can cause issues too.

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=23386.0
Current: 2012 Super Tenere - White/Red Speedblocks
Previous:
2011 to 2015 - Kawasaki Versys 650 2011
2010 to 2011 - Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2008

Offline Ramseybella

« Reply #261 on: May 21, 2018, 09:09:25 am »
Rust debris in the fuel pump can cause issues too.

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=23386.0

Looked like coffee grounds.
Crazy.
By the way somewhere i read a couple years ago on this forum this filter was recommended and that it will fit.
Don't remember the topic.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Suzuki-Motorcycle-ATV-2008-2017-15420-05H00-15420-44G00-EFI-Strainer-QTY-3/161445598136?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Offline tntmo

« Reply #262 on: June 05, 2018, 09:54:44 pm »
Another episode of stalling and high idle over the weekend.  I'm just going to try to document them in this thread as they happen so I can look back and have some information when I bring the bike in.

Offline Ramseybella

« Reply #263 on: June 06, 2018, 08:52:51 pm »
I recorded this on my phone as well..
It's the harness 98.5% sure, never had issues since and it runs 100% better than when i bought it with 2k on it...
I'm not even going into my story it's all over this sight anyway.
 ::017::

Offline tntmo

« Reply #264 on: June 07, 2018, 02:22:19 pm »
I recorded this on my phone as well..
It's the harness 98.5% sure, never had issues since and it runs 100% better than when i bought it with 2k on it...
I'm not even going into my story it's all over this sight anyway.
 ::017::

Yes, I read your tale of fun.  I'm about ten days away from a 6-8 week motorcycle trip so I know I can't get this thing in the shop now.  We'll see how it performs on the road in different conditions.  Once I'm home, we'll have the dealer take a peak at the bike.  Thanks for documenting your saga, it gives me hope that I can get my bike squared away at some point.

Offline Xvstrom650

« Reply #265 on: July 09, 2018, 09:49:12 pm »
+1 on new wiring harness. I have a 2012 that I bought used with ~30,000 km in the summer of 2015 (has ~63,000 km now). Had all the same problems reported here, low idle and stall, high idle hanging at 3 - 4K rpm, WOT on start up, I had it all. Dealer changed TPS, no change. Brought them 7 pages of information from this forum showing I wasn't the only one having problems. Someone on here said that if they wiggled the main wiring harness above the battery they could cause the bike to rev up or stall. I tried that and sure enough mine did the same thing. I took a video and brought it to my dealer and he sent it to his Yamaha Canada rep. After reviewing the video, Yamaha sent a new wiring harness and paid to have it installed. That was late last fall and I've put on about 5,000 km of trouble free riding since. I was ready to get rid of the bike but now I'm loving it. For those guys having this problem, don't give up, Yamaha knows about this problem and need a little push to do something about it.

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #266 on: July 09, 2018, 10:07:51 pm »
tntmo -
After Ramseybella and Xvstrom650's posts, you might try gently playing with the connectors while the bike is running to see if you can do the same. If so, there may be one with a problem in the crimp. That's something you could take care of before your trip.

HOWEVER - Sail2xx had his harness replaced and said that while it made things slightly better, it didn't cure the problem. While replacement has worked for some folks, don't assume a new harness is going to be the end-all cure.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:09:27 pm by Checkswrecks »
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline tntmo

« Reply #267 on: July 10, 2018, 10:06:40 am »
I performed a bunch of maintenance before leaving on my trip to include valve check (two tight exhaust, one loose intake @21k miles) and installing a manual cam chain tensioner.  After I got it all together, the bike ran terribly.  No funny idle issues, but a serious bogging when trying to accelerate.  Thinking I had messed something up, I went back in and double checked everything.  I could find nothing wrong, but after reassembly the bike ran perfect.  Loose connection somewhere maybe?  Pinched harness?

I left for my Alaska trip a day or two later.  Every little thing the bike did had me on edge, not sure if I was hearing/feeling things that were different but miles kept piling up so I guess it was all normal.  After crossing into Canada, I had to ride in the rain for almost two days, about 700 miles of fun.  Well, the bike started to run awful.  Barely idling, low power, etc.  I made it to Anchorage and it got progressively better but never as good as it was.

I pulled the tank and the airbox was full of water.  The coils also showed signs of water intrusion.  I cleaned everything as good as I could, put dielectric grease on every connection in the area and also ordered a fender extender.  The bike seems to be running well again, so I hope it's solid for the run to the Arctic Circle and back home.

Only good news in the story is that the low idle/high idle never happened in 4500 miles (not counting the water issue).

Offline Ramseybella

« Reply #268 on: July 10, 2018, 04:39:33 pm »
tntmo -
After Ramseybella and Xvstrom650's posts, you might try gently playing with the connectors while the bike is running to see if you can do the same. If so, there may be one with a problem in the crimp. That's something you could take care of before your trip.

HOWEVER - Sail2xx had his harness replaced and said that while it made things slightly better, it didn't cure the problem. While replacement has worked for some folks, don't assume a new harness is going to be the end-all cure.
I was trying to get a head count on Harness replacements and what has happened since, no reply's.
So far KNOCK ON SOME DAMN HARD WOOD!!  :-X I am still sailing along even after getting drowned last week in a complete biblical proportion downpour...