Author Topic: Cooked Headlamp Harness  (Read 101587 times)

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
Re: Cooked Headlamp Harness
« Reply #450 on: June 03, 2013, 11:56:08 pm »
Roy probably has had both by now a couple times at least, and those bastards at Yamaha are worthless SOBs all 4 times!

Now *THAT'S* funny!!!  :D

::025:: ::025:: ::025:: ::025::

Thanks, RonH...  I needed a laugh like that!

Dallara

~
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:57:58 pm by Dallara »
©

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

Offline twinrider

« Reply #451 on: June 03, 2013, 11:59:42 pm »
Combo and Eric, thanks for the info. Mine is a first edition so must have had the old style connectors. Good to know that they have since changed the design.

Offline twinrider

« Reply #452 on: June 04, 2013, 01:31:55 am »
YSP called me back and told me that the part number hadn't changed. Hopefully that doesn't mean that the original design hasn't changed. They also said they couldn't just change the headlight harness, they'd have to change the entire headlight assembly. Don't really care as it would be covered by the warranty, but surprised as others have had just their headlight harnesses changed.

Offline Tenerator12

• All roads fair game...all game outta the way!
« Reply #453 on: June 04, 2013, 07:18:56 am »
I would like to see Yamaha upgrade this harness so it doesn't burn out. They've been making headlight harnesses since the 1950s so they should be able to get it right.

Agree wholeheartedly. 

FWIW, the only time I had issues was when I was running aftermarket bulbs similar in spec to the ones you had installed. Went back to the OEM's and haven't had a problem since then.  That's not to say the wiring harness doesn't have issues...just my experience with it.  The PIAA bulbs I had installed caused problems even with the dialectric grease applied.  Removing some of the ceramic material to provide more contact area is a good idea. I just havent got around to doing that yet.  I find claims from the aftermarket bulb companies about them being brighter, yet not drawing any more current than the OEM's hard to believe, but havent actually done a comparison with my camp meter yet. Will prolly go ahead and try that when I get aroung to modding the connectors.   :lamp:
2011 SA spec XT1200Z picked-up on 8/28/2011

Offline twinrider

« Reply #454 on: June 04, 2013, 10:37:01 am »
The Philips Xtremes are exactly the same size (height, diameter) as stock. Only difference I can tell is that the end of the bulb has a chrome finish instead of matt paint and a blue tint at the end to make them look whiter. They're rated as safe to use with plastic lenses as they are standard wattage. Definitely the problem came from the connectors, not the bulbs.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-xtreme-vision-h7-car-headlight-bulbs
How does the product generate more light when the wattage is standard and are they safe to use on plastic lenses?

X-Treme Vision use a halogen/xenon gas mix and a refined design of the filament. The xenon gas is a very efficient and produces a brighter, whiter light than when halogen gas alone is used. This means that the bulbs have a greater output of light on the road. The bulbs are all standard wattage, this means that they are completely safe to use with plastic lenses and they are fully road legal.

Offline Tenerator12

• All roads fair game...all game outta the way!
Re: Re: Cooked Headlamp Harness
« Reply #455 on: June 04, 2013, 08:02:53 pm »
The Philips Xtremes are exactly the same size (height, diameter) as stock. Only difference I can tell is that the end of the bulb has a chrome finish instead of matt paint and a blue tint at the end to make them look whiter. They're rated as safe to use with plastic lenses as they are standard wattage. Definitely the problem came from the connectors, not the bulbs.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-xtreme-vision-h7-car-headlight-bulbs
How does the product generate more light when the wattage is standard and are they safe to use on plastic lenses?

X-Treme Vision use a halogen/xenon gas mix and a refined design of the filament. The xenon gas is a very efficient and produces a brighter, whiter light than when halogen gas alone is used. This means that the bulbs have a greater output of light on the road. The bulbs are all standard wattage, this means that they are completely safe to use with plastic lenses and they are fully road legal.

I don't doubt that the literature says what it says. I often find claims and even spec sheets to differ from the readings I get regarding current draw.

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2

2011 SA spec XT1200Z picked-up on 8/28/2011

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #456 on: June 04, 2013, 08:05:52 pm »
I don't doubt that the literature says what it says. I often find claims and even spec sheets to differ from the readings I get regarding current draw.

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2

Amen to that, Bruddah!!!  :D

Honestly I can't believe how different all sorts of products measure out these days compared to their advertised/claimed specs, etc. It's getting where you really can't believe damn near any of 'em.  ::010::

Dallara

~
©

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

Offline Combo

• DSN
« Reply #457 on: June 04, 2013, 09:31:48 pm »
YSP called me back and told me that the part number hadn't changed. Hopefully that doesn't mean that the original design hasn't changed. They also said they couldn't just change the headlight harness, they'd have to change the entire headlight assembly. Don't really care as it would be covered by the warranty, but surprised as others have had just their headlight harnesses changed.

Same harness and part number only the insulator is made to spec. now. I think the supplier had a bad batch early on and it may have been due to the big waves Japan had? The later 12's are correct and mine was not. I know our ordered bikes were held up due to electrical suppliers. Yamaha jumped in and helped them get rolling again.

Did the heat damage some of your headlight assembly?
I don't know where I'm going but I won't be late!

Offline Combo

• DSN
« Reply #458 on: June 04, 2013, 10:38:40 pm »
Heat and burn means there was a bad connection as we all know by now, but the bad connection and heat ruin or at least compromise the connection at both the lamp and the socket, so in other words by simply replacing the socket and leaving the heat damaged lamp, the chances of the problem returning are much higher. I'm sure that's why they want to replace both the lamp and the socket together. It could even be the lamp that is the main source of bad connection and not a socket problem at all possibly. Replacing both at the same time is the way it is generally done when this happens in electric equipment is the best way to avoid being a repeat problem down the road.

Ron,
I think I understand if you are calling the socket the wiring harness connector/insulator that connects to the bulb, then I do and also agree.
 The part I don't understand is he said Yamaha was going to change the entire headlight assembly  :question:
I don't know where I'm going but I won't be late!

Offline twinrider

« Reply #459 on: June 04, 2013, 10:55:57 pm »

Can't see Philips fudging the wattage rating of this DOT-approved standard size bulb to a degree that could cause a harness to fry.  They do sell an 80 watt H7 rally bulb for those who want to go the high wattage route.

A number of other folks have had the same problem with the stock bulbs so the problem clearly lies with the faulty connectors. Will be doing the the "Dallara" mod on my new harness if the connectors are the same.

Offline twinrider

« Reply #460 on: June 04, 2013, 10:57:53 pm »

The part I don't understand is he said Yamaha was going to change the entire headlight assembly  :question:

Got me, but the dealer said that's what they would do. Who am I to argue...

Offline sail2xxs

« Reply #461 on: June 05, 2013, 09:42:39 am »
I wouldn't call that fine at all. How many bulbs did it consume before? And how many now?   ???

I had my left bulb go dark about 3k miles ago so I did the "Dallara mod" by removing excess plastic from the plug, improving the plug contact point and then using the contact grease when plugging it all back together. Through all of this, I haven't burned out even one bulb. I have 13,000+ miles on my bike. So far, so good....

My first headlight bulb (original) burned out after about 20k miles. This was also when the connector melted the first time. Right headlight bulb lasted quite a bit longer - almost to 30k if I remember right. Now I'm replacing on or the other bulb roughly every 10-15k. Bike has just shy of 86k miles on it.

Chris
IBA # 7254
'12 Super Tenere 130,728 miles at trade-in
'14 Super Tenere

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #462 on: June 05, 2013, 09:58:53 am »
The 'uprated' bulbs are usually over driven.  And almost always suffer a shorter life.  Silverstars used to last me almost a predictable 10k miles, (on the FJR).  The oem bulbs last much longer.  I lost one bulb around 36k and the other is still good.  I bought a couple of plain jane oem quality bulbs from the auto parts store, (not anything hyped for "brighter, whiter light"), and one went into the headlight to replace the burned out one, the other is in the pannier as a spare.

One of the main reasons I changed the FJR to bi-xenon HID headlights was that I got tired of burning out headlight bulbs so quickly.  Sometimes they wouldn't last two weeks, with my riding.  If the Super Ten gets to that point, I'll convert to HID.  I really don't want to cut holes in the access covers though.  I like the idea of a better seal there, even if it may not be that big a deal.
Raven Super Tenere (95k)
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
EVal Innovations Inc.

Offline 20valves

« Reply #463 on: June 05, 2013, 10:02:33 am »
Bike has just shy of 86k miles on it.

Damn!! You are getting around! 
Raven Black Super Ten
'14 KTM 500 EXC
'13 FJR, '06 R1 LE
'09 T Max

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #464 on: June 05, 2013, 12:25:28 pm »
Damn!! You are getting around!

Sail2xx is the Tenere Test Rider for the rest of us. He is in the saddle and on the gas, passing through states like I pass through towns.

He proves to me what I got under me. Stone reliable horse built by Yamaha engineering.

He doesn't have time to whine about hard starts, corroded spokes, wiring harness hot spots. He just cranks and goes.

I for one am grateful that he and Nick Sanders shook this thing down so that I can know what to expect.

XT1200Z  TBDBITW  (The Biggest Dirt Bike in The World)
KTM 500 EXC              Dirtiest Street Bike In The World
KTM 950 SE           (The Substitute for the XT700Z that's coming)