Author Topic: Cooked Headlamp Harness  (Read 67807 times)

Offline twinrider

Re: Cooked Headlamp Harness
« Reply #450 on: June 02, 2013, 03:48:15 am »
My left headlight burned out this weekend, removed the cover and was greeted by the smell of burning plastic. This will be the second time the headlight harness has to be replaced with 18,000 km on the odometer, first time when the original owner still had the bike.

Offline tomatocity

« Reply #451 on: June 02, 2013, 04:23:08 am »
My left headlight burned out this weekend, removed the cover and was greeted by the smell of burning plastic. This will be the second time the headlight harness has to be replaced with 18,000 km on the odometer, first time when the original owner still had the bike.

They will ask you if you are using the OEM bulbs.

I am surprised someone is not making an aftermarket harness that will handle a brighter bulb.
Tim
Yamaha Super Tenere XTZ12B(C) Impact Blue, #027, 7/30/2011
2005 KLR685

Offline sail2xxs

« Reply #452 on: June 03, 2013, 03:57:18 pm »
The TJ from Romney Cycles added an extra ground wire to the left harness and ran it to the battery. The harness has been fine since, though the bike has been consuming more bulbs than before.

Chris
IBA # 7254
'12 Super Tenere

Offline twinrider

« Reply #453 on: June 03, 2013, 07:17:40 pm »
They will ask you if you are using the OEM bulbs.

I am surprised someone is not making an aftermarket harness that will handle a brighter bulb.

For the record, I was running Philips Extreme Vision which are DOT approved and rated at 55 watts just like the OEMs. Not a factor IMO.

Offline tomatocity

« Reply #454 on: June 03, 2013, 07:45:13 pm »
For the record, I was running Philips Extreme Vision which are DOT approved and rated at 55 watts just like the OEMs. Not a factor IMO.

55w should not be an issue but... they will try and protect their product. The one person I know of that had this problem was using 65w bulbs.

There has to be room for someone to sell a aftermarket harness with better connectors and wire. I have not had the problem but I would also like to use a brighter bulb with confidence it would not burn out.
Tim
2005 KLR685

Offline twinrider

« Reply #455 on: June 03, 2013, 07:50:30 pm »

There has to be room for someone to sell a aftermarket harness with better connectors and wire. I have not had the problem but I would also like to use a brighter bulb with confidence it would not burn out.

I would like to see Yamaha upgrade this harness so it doesn't burn out. They've been making headlight harnesses since the 1950s so they should be able to get it right.

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #456 on: June 03, 2013, 09:08:23 pm »
The reports of this happening have died down to almost nothing.
Perhaps the "batch" was limited. Newer bikes aren't having the issue?
I might stop by and look at a new one and compare the plastic connector housing.
XT1200Z  Biggest Dirt Bike in The World

Offline tomatocity

« Reply #457 on: June 03, 2013, 09:16:31 pm »
The reports of this happening have died down to almost nothing.
Perhaps the "batch" was limited. Newer bikes aren't having the issue?
I might stop by and look at a new one and compare the plastic connector housing.

I am going to get the dealership to see if the part number changed.
Tim
2005 KLR685

Offline 20valves

« Reply #458 on: June 03, 2013, 09:28:54 pm »
The harness has been fine since, though the bike has been consuming more bulbs than before.

I wouldn't call that fine at all. How many bulbs did it consume before? And how many now?   ???

I had my left bulb go dark about 3k miles ago so I did the "Dallara mod" by removing excess plastic from the plug, improving the plug contact point and then using the contact grease when plugging it all back together. Through all of this, I haven't burned out even one bulb. I have 13,000+ miles on my bike. So far, so good....
Raven Black Super Ten
'14 KTM 500 EXC
'13 FJR, '06 R1 LE
'09 T Max

Offline twinrider

« Reply #459 on: June 03, 2013, 09:31:14 pm »
I am going to get the dealership to see if the part number changed.

I just got off the phone with the local YSP (official Yamaha dealership) shop where the bike was originally purchased to clarify what work the PO had done to the bike and it turns out that he had had the headlight assembly replaced due to condensation issues, not due to the harness melting. So my bike's harness has burned out for the first time, not the second time as I originally thought.

I have asked the dealer to check into whether Yamaha has upgraded the headlight harness and am now awaiting his call. Will post up what I learn.

Edit: the Dallara mod will be my next step if it turns out the harness has not been upgraded.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:33:29 pm by twinrider »

Offline Combo

• DSN
« Reply #460 on: June 03, 2013, 09:49:05 pm »
I would like to see Yamaha upgrade this harness so it doesn't burn out. They've been making headlight harnesses since the 1950s so they should be able to get it right.

I understand your frustration twinrider, but I found a fix that works and a routine test to see if you are about to have this problem.

First off mine was one of the first to hit the USA and the supplier for the insulators on the harness to the headlight prongs were made too deep. I had to file away some of the insulator so that the female connector was at the end of the insulator so that the male on the bulb would make more contact with the female. This has now been corrected with the later models.

Second (what most are having problems with) is that the metals used for the connectors develop a film on them very soon and cause a weak connection. A bad connection with current draw will cause heat and this heat at that location will cause the insulation on the wire and the insulator itself to melt. The fix is to disconnect each insulator connector from the bulbs and fill the female cavities of both insulators with grease and I don't care what kind you use. GP or bearing grease will work just fine. Re-connect and test.

To test and see if you are having this problem, with headlights/bike cold, take off the headlight back round covers. Start the bike and while it's warmimg up take your fingers and touch each insulator on the back and feel the temperature of each. They should be just over room temperature to the touch. If one is loosing contact it will be getting hot and in time cook your harness. After installing the grease, test again and you will know it's making good contact. Make this one of your checks when changing oil and I don't think you will have a problem.
I don't know where I'm going but I won't be late!

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #461 on: June 03, 2013, 11:04:55 pm »
Good stuff Combo.  Thanks for posting that.

FWIW - I have an early '12 bike, delivered in the first run in July '11.  About... oh, 10k miles ago, (36k or so), one of my headlight bulbs burned out and I though, Oh, here we go.  Pulled the headlight all apart and inspected the harness and connectors.  Well crap, the wires were not gray or burned and the connectors looked quite nice, w/o the extra insulation preventing the prongs from mating nicely.  Just burned out bulb.  I put some dielectric grease in the connectors for good measure and installed a new bulb.  10k later, still doing fine.  Not sure what the diversity of wiring harnesses and connectors is, but apparently some are fine and others are not.  Just lucky, I guess.

Sucks to be one of the unlucky ones, but it does appear to be a low volume issue.
Raven Super Tenere (82k)
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
EVal Innovations Inc.

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #462 on: June 03, 2013, 11:10:39 pm »
~

Imagine the outrage and uproar there would be if somebody had a cooked headlamp harness and then had a "hard start issue" on the same bike!!!  ???

Oh, the humanity!!!  :'(

::015:: ::015:: ::015:: ::015:: ::015::

Dallara

~
©

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

Offline RonH

« Reply #463 on: June 03, 2013, 11:26:43 pm »
~

Imagine the outrage and uproar there would be if somebody had a cooked headlamp harness and then had a "hard start issue" on the same bike!!!  ???

Oh, the humanity!!!  :'(

::015:: ::015:: ::015:: ::015:: ::015::

Roy probably has had both by now a couple times at least, and those bastards at Yamaha are worthless SOBs all 4 times!

Dallara

~

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #464 on: June 03, 2013, 11:56:08 pm »
Roy probably has had both by now a couple times at least, and those bastards at Yamaha are worthless SOBs all 4 times!

Now *THAT'S* funny!!!  :D

::025:: ::025:: ::025:: ::025::

Thanks, RonH...  I needed a laugh like that!

Dallara

~
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:57:58 pm by Dallara »
©

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.