Author Topic: Tips needed on applying Yamaha Dakar tank protector  (Read 330 times)

Offline twinrider

Tips needed on applying Yamaha Dakar tank protector
« on: July 07, 2018, 09:12:19 pm »
I'm trying to apply the Yamaha OEM Dakar-style tank protector (23P-W0790-00). I thought it would peel off as one piece and I'd just apply it to the tank carefully, but instead the sections aren't connected and are peeling off individually. Do I have to place them one by one on the tank or is there a way of making all the sections stick on at once? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Offline HeavyH

Re: Tips needed on applying Yamaha Dakar tank protector
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 09:24:55 pm »
Following........ ::026::

Offline escapefjrtist

• Searching for Dry Roads
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 11:05:25 pm »
IIRC, the Dakar protector comes sandwiched between a thicker wax-like paper on the back [adhesive] side and thin protective sheet on the top. I measured and centered the protector on the tank and then beginning with the top, carefully peeled the paper away from the adhesive and worked from top to bottom adhering the protector to the tank. Work side-to-side and make sure there aren't any trapped air bubbles.

After the protector is adhered to the tank, the protective sheet is carefully rolled off and removed from the protector. If a corner comes loose, use your fingers to "work" the adhesive on the tank. It's a careful time-consuming process just like putting on decals and stickers.

~G
IBA 34365
'12 Super Tenere
'15 FJR1300

Offline twinrider

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 11:59:06 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I couldn't get the decal to stick to the thin wax paper so I ended up applying each piece individually. The end result was ok.

Offline Gigitt

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 07:12:58 am »
1st try... hanging to the left a bit.

as said previously above...

If you get any professional decals they come with the decal stuck to the backing paper and they are covered with an top application cover sheet. You do not pull this top sheet off!!!
The idea is the application sheet holds the decals in place when you pull the backing paper off to reveal the sticky backside of the decals.
you then lay down the decal and press all the air out.
Once the decal is stuck in place you then peel the top application cover off to reveal the decal.

I dont know if this Dakar tank protection has the application cover sheet.
I also have the Dakar tank pad but have not installed it as my cloth tape tank protection has been working fine for 2 years!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:17:08 am by Gigitt »

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 11:23:52 am »
Unfortunately you’ve placed it quite high on the tank. The area closest to the seat is most vulnerable to abrasion from your riding gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

Online 2daMax

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 04:27:10 am »
use a masking tape to hold it together, maybe 3 strips.  Center strip is the longest and this is the one to use to get the alignment and placement on the correct area.
Current: 2012 Super Tenere - White/Red Speedblocks
Previous:
2011 to 2015 - Kawasaki Versys 650 2011
2010 to 2011 - Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2008

Offline ace50

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 07:52:59 am »
I don't think I could get over the image of a guy staring at my crotch all the time!  ???
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:43:04 am by ace50 »

Online 2daMax

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 06:23:17 am »
I don't thin I could get over the image of a guy staring at my crotch all the time!  ???

Could be worse if his mouth wasn't wrapped!  ::025::
Current: 2012 Super Tenere - White/Red Speedblocks
Previous:
2011 to 2015 - Kawasaki Versys 650 2011
2010 to 2011 - Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2008

Offline twinrider

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 09:39:52 am »
Unfortunately you’ve placed it quite high on the tank. The area closest to the seat is most vulnerable to abrasion from your riding gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did that on purpose. I had the same sticker on my last S10 in the low position and it went to waste. This one I placed where I lean on the tank while super slabbing and where my tank bag makes contact. And it covers the square left behind when I peeled off the warning sticker that the PO had left on for 3 years... ;)

Offline twinrider

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 09:42:08 am »
1st try... hanging to the left a bit.

as said previously above...

If you get any professional decals they come with the decal stuck to the backing paper and they are covered with an top application cover sheet. You do not pull this top sheet off!!!
The idea is the application sheet holds the decals in place when you pull the backing paper off to reveal the sticky backside of the decals.
you then lay down the decal and press all the air out.
Once the decal is stuck in place you then peel the top application cover off to reveal the decal.

I dont know if this Dakar tank protection has the application cover sheet.
I also have the Dakar tank pad but have not installed it as my cloth tape tank protection has been working fine for 2 years!

Yeah, I fixed that after I took the pic and realized the err of my ways lol.

If it doesn't prove durable because of the reapplication I'll buy another set and do it the right way.

Cheers. ::003::

Offline Desoto

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 04:05:18 pm »
Fill a spray bottle with water and a little dish soap.  Place your bike in the shade and spray the tank with the soap3water solution liberaly.  Also spray the sticky side of the tank pad.  The soapy water will let you reposition the tank pad to your liking.  When it's where you want it to, take a squeegee and slide it across the tank pad to remove  air and water from undereath the pad and let it set in the sun.  Voilà!!!

Offline TNRyder

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 07:36:14 pm »
Fill a spray bottle with water and a little dish soap.  Place your bike in the shade and spray the tank with the soap3water solution liberaly.  Also spray the sticky side of the tank pad.  The soapy water will let you reposition the tank pad to your liking.  When it's where you want it to, take a squeegee and slide it across the tank pad to remove  air and water from undereath the pad and let it set in the sun.  Voilà!!!

Yep like Desoto said This is the same way window tint is installed. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk