Author Topic: 2014ES bad starter, solenoid or something? Elec system dies when hit 'Start'  (Read 387 times)

Offline cyclemike4

hello Andrew. Just from what I am reading here and from having the same issues on other vehicles it sounds like your battery is shorting out. I would not jump it again and would not even try to start it till the new battery is installed. With some of the cells shorting out it is loading the charging system and could damage that as well. Just my 2 cents worth to think about. Best of luck and hope you are back on the road very soon!

Offline cjclint

• easyliving native perennial wildflowers
Battery could be bad but could also simply be corroded battery cable connections.  Remove cables from battery, clean/sand cable connection and battery posts

Offline AndrewA

Ok -Apologies for the delayed response here.

Got the new battery on Saturday ($37 incl sipping).  Got the 12S.  Also checked the solenoid & battery connections before ordering the new one.  Everything else seemed ok, so figured it was worth a shot & dropped the $37.

Installed the battery on Sat, and it started right up.  Put it on the tender overnigh, & then rode 250 miles on Sunday with zero issues.  (Getting ready to head to Glacier Natl Pk for some hiking, and had a Mast Gnl Store gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so rode up to Valle Crucis to buy a packpack I could have bought here in Charlotte, 10 mins from my house.  Lol.  Awesome ride, tho!) 

Honestly, if it dies in 6 months, I'll consider it a $37 lesson learned.  Lord knows, I've had much more expensive lessons than that in my life!  Then again, lots of people say you'll never get more than 5k on Shinko 705's, and I got 8,400 on the rear (front is still fine) before hitting the wear-bars & replacing it with a FullBore (same tire, essentially), so I'll find out for myself & see how it goes.  You may be right; I may be crazy.  I'll keep my fingers crossed in the mean time. :)

Andrew

Offline holligl

• Find the road less traveled...
FWIW Battery sharks does have the 14 version for about the same price.  Replaced mine back in April to cure hesitant starting. They were first recommended by eemsreno, who I believe had something like three years and counting on his.  IDK, I think he babies his bikes though! :))
2014 BluES

Offline eemsreno

Yes I'm still running one of them cheapO batteries for over three years.
But I am the biggest bike baby out there.