Author Topic: GEN III NEW Super Tenere question / info  (Read 855 times)

Offline ~TABASCO~

• RIDE ON ADV is what I do !
GEN III NEW Super Tenere question / info
« on: July 02, 2018, 01:22:51 pm »
Just a thought.   If the Gen III  "new" Tenere comes out looking like a large version of the new Tenere 700 / T7, what would be your thoughts ?   Of course it would have all the latest tech, but your thoughts on it being a BIG T7 ? (looking).   No chain, but general looks.

?????
Lowering Links & Rising Links shipping now !

Shipping HEIDENAU'S... In stock

www.rideonadv.com
2012 Super Tenere - 1"bar riser - motoX grips - ECUnleashed flash - Barnett clutch pressure plate - UNI filter - Air box mod - Akrapovic custom muffler - Arrow headers - PCV&AT - Ohlins suspension front & rear - Trailtech Voyager - Steel braded lines on everything - Ride On skid plate - Carbon fork guards - rear disc gard - rear res guard - WC turn signals - WC headlight guard - ADV tires - WC/ride on graphics - sync TB - Baja Squadrons & S2 - custom dash LED's - Custom light harness - Ride On custom light switch - Keyless gas cap

Offline Xclimation

Re: GEN III NEW Super Tenere question / info
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 03:03:42 pm »
Looks okay? Nothing exciting. Think they'll have to change the seat. They would definitely have to make many changes because assuming it will be shaft drive for one. The seat will need more because being a higher CC bike it will need to be comfort for longer distant cruising. Also frame will need to be different to accommodate pannier racks and need more frame to stabilize carrying more. Just my take. Looks somewhat like a crossbreed between a KTM990 and Africa Twin.
2015 Super Tenere Power Commander PCFC, Catless OEM headers, Delkevic slip-on, Uni-filters, Modified Airbox, Altrider Crash bars and skid plate, Flat seat mod. Dash in-fill, Nighteyes LED headlight bulbs, SW motech tank bag, Madstad windshield bracket, Parabellum/Give Airgflow windshield (Using stock windshield mostly) Touratech Headlight guard, Rox Risers, RideonAdv. extended brake/clutch lines

Offline Sierra1

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 03:06:24 pm »
I'm in agreement....but I think that's why the SUPER Tenere looks the way it does.  ::001::
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 03:42:38 pm »
Intriguing thought and would not be surprised if they get as much resemblence as possible. It'd be good for both product lines.
But generational differences in Yamahas don't tend to stray much after they get the product as firmed up as the Tenere is. If you look at a current and 1st Gen FJR, there's no question that they are the same line. Even the R1, R6, and other Ricky Racer bikes have kept a lot of old DNA in their looks and feel.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 04:15:37 pm »
The fuel tank is a central styling element. I would not like them to make that smaller in capacity.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

Offline 2daMax

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 08:08:10 am »
I still like the looks of the Gen1 and 2, and have never gotten sick of looking at the beauty.  For Gen3, make it more efficient, more drive modes and programmable modes ( Flashing ecu will be a thing of the past), separate LCD's to display status such as time, fuel consumption, coolant temps, oil temps, ambient temps, etc..  Analogue tachometer with LCD speedo.  Keep the same looks.
Current: 2012 Super Tenere - White/Red Speedblocks
Previous:
2011 to 2015 - Kawasaki Versys 650 2011
2010 to 2011 - Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2008

Offline Dogdaze

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 08:36:42 am »
IF, there is a new version then the fuel tank will get smaller, they will have to make the engine more efficient so it will consume less fuel and so the need for a large tank will be dispensed with. As with a lot of newer version of bikes.
The end range will be the same.
As I get older, I am no longer surprised at what I know, I'm surprised at how much I don't know.

Offline twinrider

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 09:54:02 am »
I'd like the following: 40lbs lighter, LED headlights, lean ABS, a quick shifter, TC switchable on the fly and a TFT dash.

Offline Nikolajsen

• "Keep it simple"
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 11:03:58 am »
I'd like the following: 40lbs lighter, LED headlights, lean ABS, a quick shifter, TC switchable on the fly and a TFT dash.

yes, yes, don't care, don't care, yes, don't care  :) and possibel to turn rear ABS off 8)
XT 1200Z 2017 "Tech Black"

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 11:17:13 am »
IF, there is a new version then the fuel tank will get smaller, they will have to make the engine more efficient so it will consume less fuel and so the need for a large tank will be dispensed with. As with a lot of newer version of bikes.
The end range will be the same.

I'm not completely satisfied with the range currently. I guess I'm spoiled by my previous ST1300 which had a 7.7 gallon tank, got similar mileage, and would easily go more than 300 miles.  I once ran it 352 miles when there wasn't a gas station where the GPS said there should have been. Ultimately, many more miles further, I found a station where the GPS said there wasn't one, go figure.  I was surprised that there was still a half gallon left when I finally refilled.  From previous experience I knew I could run it down to more than 7.6 gallons to refill. I'm good with the additional efficiency and or a larger tank for the Tenere, better yet, both!
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA

Offline HeliMark

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 11:38:46 am »
I wonder how well those headlights will work at night. Although it helps with the slim profile, I much rather have the headlights a little wider and incorporate the cornering lights that is on the FJR.
2013 S10

Online RonH

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 07:33:41 pm »
I like the looks of what we have now a lot better than the 700. I liked the 660 looks, but the 700 is too KTM. If they change the super tenere in any way to resemble a KTM I don't want it. Not that I don't like KTM. I'll take a nice KTM dirt bike any day, just don't want a street bike with a 1" thick seat that is 4" wide extending on top of the 2.5 gallon whatever gas tank for a street bike as it's not functional on the street.
As to losing weight, look at the new goldwing. They ruined 80% of the best parts of the bike to lose weight. I'm sure not buying.
2017 Super Tenere 1200ES, 2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Offline kingfisher

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 04:55:07 pm »
From a usually reliable source, the gen 3 S10 will come out as an early release 2020 model next summer, with more powerful twin, lean angle ABS, tft  dash, and led headlights, among other changes. This is from a corporate meeting last month.

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 06:36:15 pm »
From a usually reliable source, the gen 3 S10 will come out as an early release 2020 model next summer, with more powerful twin, lean angle ABS, tft  dash, and led headlights, among other changes. This is from a corporate meeting last month.

Interesting. Wonder if it will be an all new engine or a souped version of the current one?
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA

Offline kingfisher

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 11:51:03 pm »
I don't know, just reported as " more powerful," but specifics were not related. I think it has plenty of power now, but would not turn down more output if it was offered. :) My 2015 has close to 50,000 miles on it, so plenty of life left, but I'll be interested to see what the new one offers.