Author Topic: I need convincing!!  (Read 814 times)

Offline Velvet

• El lobo solitario
Re: I need convincing!!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 04:41:10 pm »
I did quite a bit of research on bars and skid plates and I ultimately went with Rumbux.  I have gone down twice, once on each side.  The left side crash was relatively hard at a speed of about 20mph.  No bending or any other issues.  I just spray painted the scrap marks and they look good as new!  I definitely recommend them.

Offline moaralpha

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 10:36:52 am »
Im looking at getting SW Motech lower crash bars and I can't decide if upper bar addons are worth it. Has anyone ever dropped their bike and wished they had the upper protrction?

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 08:03:13 pm »
A number of us have dropped the bike on the SW Motech bars and I never had more than hand-guard scrapes when dropping the 2012.
HOWEVER
It can be a one-drop event, as the SW-Motech bars tend to bend. An upside is that I was able to contact them and order a single bar without having to buy a set.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline jackfis

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 11:38:03 pm »
another altrider bar owner, my Clearwater lights also can be mounted on easily in an area that is protected if you tipped the bike
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:41:26 pm by jackfis »

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 08:43:29 am »
In regards to the Rumbux bars, please remember when comparing pricing that the Rumbux is a complete system of upper crash bars, engine bars and integrated skid plate.  And that shipping is included in the pricing.  The skid plate is not mounted to the engine either, but to the lower engine bars, removing the chance of breaking a mounting point or damaging the sump during a hit to the skid plate.
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline moaralpha

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 02:15:12 pm »
another altrider bar owner, my Clearwater lights also can be mounted on easily in an area that is protected if you tipped the bike

Mounted to the lowers easily? Or do you have the upper as well?

Offline djm_ct

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 03:29:00 pm »
I have the Givis and have dropped a couple of times standing still or low speed turning in sand with virtually no damage except a minor scuff (magic marker makes it disappear)
I can still remove panels without removing bars.
I went with the cheaper Givis because I feel that none of them are going to survive a major crash anyway, so as long as they handle the simple drops then it's money well spent.
and if they do get damaged saving the bike then so be it.. less cost to replace.

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 06:18:29 pm »
I have the Givis and have dropped a couple of times standing still or low speed turning in sand with virtually no damage except a minor scuff (magic marker makes it disappear)
I can still remove panels without removing bars.
I went with the cheaper Givis because I feel that none of them are going to survive a major crash anyway, so as long as they handle the simple drops then it's money well spent.
and if they do get damaged saving the bike then so be it.. less cost to replace.

This was my thinking as well, they are a semi-expendable part. If you are spending so much on the bars that you're now too worried about damaging them what's the point?. The Givis also provide an inboard, protected location where they loop around the leading edges of the side covers for mounting accessory lighting.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES