Author Topic: Anyone running Cortech Super 2.0 or similar soft luggage without side racks?  (Read 450 times)

Online RCinNC

Years back, you could buy a soft luggage support for a V-Strom from Dan Vesel.  I had one, and it worked very well.  I don't think the company is in business any more; they seemed to have disappeared a few years ago, and links to their site were broken.  The design looks like it could be made relatively simply with a tubing bender and some electrical conduit.  I'm sure the design could be adapted to the Super Tenere.  Everything you need could be found at a Lowe's or Home Depot.

It's hard to even find a photo of the bar on line; this is the best one I could locate:

That rectangular piece was a piece of ABS plastic, bolted to the luggage bar.  It increased the surface area of the bar and gave the soft bag a wider perch to sit against.  The front of the bar bolted to the passenger footpeg mount, and the rear bolted to a hole in the rear fender.  The ends of the tubing were flattened, to make them easier to attach.

2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
2012 Suzuki DL650 (traded)
2004 HD Road King Custom (sold)
2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600 (traded)
1994 Yamaha Virago 1100 (traded)
1982 Honda V45 Sabre (traded)
1984 Kawasaki 440LTD (sold)

Offline braderider

• I'd rather be riding.
Side Case Mounting Kit for Soft Panniers
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 03:49:51 pm »
Thought I might take advantage of the vast knowledge base of the forum.
I'm a new owner of a 2017 S10 ES
I just purchased a set of Nelson Rig Soft Saddlebags (pictured below).
They measure 17"L x 9"W x 14"H. 
I'm told they do not require a side case mounting kit which I have a hard time believing.
To me the Yamaha side case mounting kit looks like it is strictly for their hard cases.
and would not support these soft bags very well.
Though I eventually will probably get hard cases (not necessarily Yamaha) I'd like to avoid
having to trash one side bag mounting setup for another.
From the research I have done so far it seems like I might be best off with the Givi mounting kit.
Their rack seems like it would support and protect the Nelson Rig soft bags and their hard cases look
pretty decent for when I am ready to move in that direction.
Any  advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline raynchk

Re: Side Case Mounting Kit for Soft Panniers
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 10:59:28 am »
I am not sure about this, I haven't tried it, heard it from the guy I bought my 2016 from. He said you can turn the grab rails around and they work pretty good for soft luggage, helps keep the bags away from frame and muffler. I haven't seen it anywhere else, though.
2016 S10
Puig Touring Shield (dark tint)
OEM Wind Deflectors
Cyclops LED headlights
Heated Grips
Givi Bars
Givi Skid Plate
Yamaha Panniers

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
Re: Side Case Mounting Kit for Soft Panniers
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 12:32:10 pm »
Braderider -
This thread has been merged into a current and existing one on the same question. Your second thread on the same topic has been deleted. As in most all forums, do not double post.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:35:19 pm by Checkswrecks »
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Hfjeff

Update-So I did not care for the Dryspec D20 bags.  Particularly the way they fit with the passenger grab handles.  Since the point of me getting side bags is so me and my SO can travel together, I need to keep them in place.  Also I did not like the way the left side sat on the muffler shield or the right side just hung there with no support at all.  So they went back.

I decided to go with quick disconnect side racks-Givi PLR2119 and they are ordered.  This opens up way more options for side cases.  I am now back in the research phase of side cases vs saddlebags.  I will post an update with Pics once this evolves.  My wife says I am way over thinking this.... ::025::
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:01:13 pm by Hfjeff »
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2007 Yamaha Zuma (wifes ride but I maintain)