Author Topic: Voyager Pro | GPS from Trail Trek | Release: Spring 2018  (Read 719 times)

Offline Rambler

• Posh:Goondas
Voyager Pro | GPS from Trail Trek | Release: Spring 2018
« on: March 06, 2018, 05:02:44 pm »

Reported on ADVPulse. The teaser trailer makes this unit very interesting. Spendy @ $600 though.
Could this be a 'one and done' kind of GPS farkle? More importantly can this work with the S10?

https://www.trailtech.net/voyagerpro

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTsf2ierA9c

Rambler
SuperT ADV Training Weekend
2017 ES | IBA# 58774 | Blog: PoshGoondas | Instagram: IG1 & IG2 | YouTube: YT1
Previous wheels: 2009 FJR 1300AE | 2010 Triumph Speedmaster

Offline Rambler

Re: Voyager Pro | GPS from Trail Trek | Release: Spring 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 08:52:32 pm »
I reached out to Trail Trek and:

The Voyager Pro kits will include mounting hardware and everything needed to make it work with the SuperTenere.

Buddy tracking and Beacon will work only with other riders using Voyager Pro also. 

Rambler

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 09:39:21 pm »
Spendy for now, but ain't progress cool?
 ::008::
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Rambler

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:55:15 am »
Another plus, is that the BT connectivity has been made with Sena products in mind. Good move by TrailTrek seeing that Sena is the most popular of the Headsets 
Rambler

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 08:01:38 pm »
I was satisfied with the answers that TrailTech gave me (Bob) in the Q+A at the bottom of the ADVPluse article.

I though the screen resolution was about a decade old, but attempting to find a touch screen display manufacturer with the specs "we" want, that is fully readable in direct sunlight, and waterproof, and in a size folks will buy, and has controller electronics available for it (the display), well that's quite a big job.

So, I suppose they installed the best they could find given the design space.

I'm gonna hang out with my Zumo for awhile, likely until it (or me) breaks.
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS.

Offline Defekticon

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 12:57:41 pm »
I'm super excited about this product - Not for the Tenere, but for the KTM. The KTM Dash is very limited in what it displays for an enduro bike. Dash space already being at a premium it would be great to get the Garmin off my handlebars - and frankly Garmin is a dinosaur that isn't willing to adapt to the age of android and google maps. Basecamp sucks. They charge based on their reputation from when they were actually a GOOD GPS mapping company. 600+ for a GPS that's running on hardware that was obsolete 8 years ago? No thanks. I'm not super enthusiastic about my Montana as is, and I've lost money on a Zumo 665LM that took two years after the product launch to get a firmware revision that actually let it connect over A2DP. A feature that was supposed to be available at launch, and is a standard feature of android based devices.  ::002::

If Garmin ruggedized android based hardware and adapted to using google based maps they would easily re-claim their throne as king daddy of GPS.

As long as highway dirtbikes builds a dash mount for the Voyager pro it I'm in. Here is my current KTM dash setup. If I can both get a TACH and GPS in one device that would be awesome.

IMG 20180224 093829
IMG 20180224 093829
'14 Blue S10
'17 KTM 500EXC-F

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 05:00:50 pm »
How does that RAM mount not hit your gas tank??

Trail Tech says they will provide a Voyager Pro mount with their GPS, I believe them. The picture of the back of the unit shows a multi "nub" pin interface, it looks good for vibration and abuse, and water resistance.

I'm 99.9% certain the mount is AMPS design, to be compatible with RAM based ball-arm-ball variety, and that will be good too. This from the Q'nA from the ADVPulse article.

Android based (ARM) processor HW tech would be good, google maps SW tech not so much, in my opinion. Google maps does nothing to help the off road nav oriented market. OSM is better, again IMO. Trail Tech says their base map will be from an in-house adoption of OSM, and I think that's a great move on their part.
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS.

Offline Dirt_Dad

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 05:52:55 pm »
Looks like a great GPS for trail riding with friends. 

Unfortunately I feel a bit trapped by my Zumo 665.  I agree I'm not impressed with Basecamp.  But the 665 is the only GPS that gives me non-cellular based weather reporting.  Which I use a lot, and I use it a lot in WV where cell phones are often useless.  Of course Garmin and/or XM Sirius incompetence/indifference makes this feature very glitch prone, but when it works, it works well.  Unfortunately the touch screen of a cell phone just doesn't match the ease, ruggedness, weather resistance of the Zumo.  I suspect my days are numbered for this aging unit.  Hope someone comes out with a unit that meets all my needs.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:08:30 pm by Dirt_Dad »
17 Super Tenere ES
15 Super Tenere ES
12 Yamaha XT250
13 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Defekticon

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 11:07:03 am »
How does that RAM mount not hit your gas tank??

Trail Tech says they will provide a Voyager Pro mount with their GPS, I believe them. The picture of the back of the unit shows a multi "nub" pin interface, it looks good for vibration and abuse, and water resistance.

I'm 99.9% certain the mount is AMPS design, to be compatible with RAM based ball-arm-ball variety, and that will be good too. This from the Q'nA from the ADVPulse article.

Android based (ARM) processor HW tech would be good, google maps SW tech not so much, in my opinion. Google maps does nothing to help the off road nav oriented market. OSM is better, again IMO. Trail Tech says their base map will be from an in-house adoption of OSM, and I think that's a great move on their part.

I've had good luck using Google mymaps feature to import/edit/export to/from basecamp. I also have used Furkot, and OSM.

For the GPS mount I moved the bars up and switched to the powered cradle before I finished putting everything back together. It'll go lock to lock without hitting the tank, not a great angle to showcase the clearance, but you get the idea.

IMG 20180312 193636
IMG 20180312 193636

'14 Blue S10
'17 KTM 500EXC-F

Offline Cycledude

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 11:34:00 am »
What size screen does it have ?  I was unable to find any specs.
email ehcycledude@yahoo.com
2013 Tenere heading for Inuvik about August 10th 2018
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=21543.0

Alaska and western Canada trip planing
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?board=84.0

2002 Honda GL1800, yellow, currently 508,000 smiles