Author Topic: Another FJR Jettisoned  (Read 1211 times)

Offline mr.yammie

Re: Another FJR Jettisoned
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 02:31:37 pm »
I also was considering a fjr as my next bike but decided on another Tenere.  The overall seating position is so rider friendly on the tenere. 

Offline old1959

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 01:00:39 pm »
I traded my 2011 FJR with 72k miles for a new left over 2017 ST. The FJR was a super bike and I enjoyed owning it. In comparison, I feel the FJR has a more powerful and smoother engine along with stronger brakes. And even in an engine comparison, I find the ST engine to be a neat setup and plenty powerful but it is truly a different approach in design. The ST is far more comfortable and, for me, enjoyable to ride. For example, the ST is easier to do Uturns, ride over a curb, and yet while cruising at high speeds is darn smooth. Throw in better dirt road capability, for me the ST is a road bike, and I'm really glad I made the switch.

Offline Sierra1

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 01:19:31 pm »
Several form members have voiced concern about the continued existence of the Tenere.  I've been thinking that with so many of us switching from the FJR, maybe we should concerned with the FJR's continued existence.  Honda dropped the ST1300, and it was a great bike.  (not as good as the FJR though)  More SUVs are sold than sports cars; and the Tenere is definitely an SUV.  ::001::
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Offline Hfjeff

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 11:32:20 pm »
Like several others on the forum, I finally let go my 2014 FJR1300ES this past weekend.  :(

I kept the FJR when I bought my 2017 Super-T not knowing which one I would like better for street only riding.  I rode them back to back many times.  I was amazed how small and heavy the FJR felt.  The Super-T is just more nimble, roomy, and comfy – plus it can go more places.  I like the option to be able to stand on the pegs every once in a while too.  On the dirt roads I’ve tried with it, the Super-T is very stable. 

I will miss the power windshield and the electric motor like power of the FJR.  It is very nice looking machine – especially in red.   The Super-T is a bit more agricultural.  A fellow Super-T owner said to me at the New York MC show in December while we were looking at the 2018 model, “no one is ever going to get lucky riding a Super Tenere” – but that’s ok.  I enjoy riding it more – and that’s what it's all about.

Everything you just said EXACTLY.  The FJR is a great bike, but small, heavy, and cramped space.  Every time I took the FJR out I felt I had to "prepare".  With the S10 I just jump on and go and it is more fun and less work to ride.  I can't deny missing that 1300cc 4-cyl on onramps though.....

2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2007 Yamaha Zuma (wifes ride but I maintain)