Author Topic: My bizarre & seemingly unsolvable cruise control issues...hoping for new ideas.  (Read 11885 times)

Offline gv550

Kickstand down
Transmission in 1st
Kill switch STOP
Press and hold TCS and RESET at the same time
Turn key ON
Continue to press and hold TCS and RESET until SELECT/ECU appears on the display
Press and hold TCS and RESET again until DIAG appears
Press and hold TCS and RESET again until 1/14 appears
Press TCS until 61/xx appears. xx is the fault code, if more than one is stored they will show in sequence
Press TCS until 62/xx appears. xx is the number of stored codes. To clear all codes flip kill switch to RUN then STOP
Turn key OFF to exit diagnostics

Garry

2016 Super Tenere ...fast Yellow....
*Givi engine guards, skid plate and XS308 tank bag.
*Oxford heated grips with Grab-on wrap.
*Yamaha panniers and top box.
*Yamaha tall shield and side deflectors.
*Zumo 395 with TPMS
*Mitas E07 tires
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

Offline bnschroder

• 2014 Super Tenere ES
Kickstand down
Transmission in 1st
Kill switch STOP
Press and hold TCS and RESET at the same time
Turn key ON
Continue to press and hold TCS and RESET until SELECT/ECU appears on the display
Press and hold TCS and RESET again until DIAG appears
Press and hold TCS and RESET again until 1/14 appears
Press TCS until 61/xx appears. xx is the fault code, if more than one is stored they will show in sequence
Press TCS until 62/xx appears. xx is the number of stored codes. To clear all codes flip kill switch to RUN then STOP
Turn key OFF to exit diagnostics

Thank you for the instructions.  I got a 61 / 122, but can't find what that means.
But I also adjusted the rear brake light sensor which I hadn't done a while ago when adjusting for a brake pedal extender, and that may have done the trick. Did a brief test ride, CC light stayed on, and the CC engaged. I hope that's the last of this issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Gigitt

Thank you for the instructions.  I got a 61 / 122, but can't find what that means.
But I also adjusted the rear brake light sensor which I hadn't done a while ago when adjusting for a brake pedal extender, and that may have done the trick. Did a brief test ride, CC light stayed on, and the CC engaged. I hope that's the last of this issue.

So the #1 test you should do fixed it!!
 ::012::

Offline gv550

Great that you got it working. As mentioned, rear brake switch adjustment is always the first thing to check if cruise won't engage, but that alone won't set a code or cause the cruise light to flash so there may still be a gremlin in there somewhere. I did a quick search through the service manual and didn't find code 122.......
Garry

2016 Super Tenere ...fast Yellow....
*Givi engine guards, skid plate and XS308 tank bag.
*Oxford heated grips with Grab-on wrap.
*Yamaha panniers and top box.
*Yamaha tall shield and side deflectors.
*Zumo 395 with TPMS
*Mitas E07 tires
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

Offline raynchk

Headed down to Agua Prieta, MX and on to Bavista on Sat and experienced the flashing cc light problem on my 2016 for the first time. Bike has been parked outside my RV in Benson, AZ with cover on. Apparently windy, stormy day on Thursday caused the cover to loosen the windshield mounting screws and one side was lower than other. It was very windy and raining and I had the cover strapped underneath the bike. After adjusting the windshield and re-tightening the screws and a couple miles down the road, when I hit button to turn cruise control on, I possibly hit the set (+-) switch at same time and the damned cc light started flashing. Never experienced it before. The rest of the trip, the cc worked intermittently, and yesterday, returning home, the switch only puked once -- the cc light on dash went from steady on to flashing when I went through the border check point. I'm wondering if the cover blowing might have done something to the rear brake lever or possibly the front? Probably un-related coincidence and superstition. After looking at all the 'fixes' here I'm despairing taking it to the dealer under warranty. I will use the method described to check for fault codes and see if there are any. And I'm sure it will work fine when I take it in to the dealer. This seems to be a difficult finicky problem for this motorcycle. Everything else has worked fine, though. I'm assuming there's nothing from Ma Yamaha on this?
2016 S10
Puig Touring Shield (dark tint)
OEM Wind Deflectors
Cyclops LED headlights
Heated Grips
Givi Bars
Givi Skid Plate
Yamaha Panniers

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
I'm wondering if the cover blowing might have done something to the rear brake lever or possibly the front? Probably un-related coincidence and superstition. After looking at all the 'fixes' here I'm despairing taking it to the dealer under warranty. I will use the method described to check for fault codes and see if there are any. And I'm sure it will work fine when I take it in to the dealer. This seems to be a difficult finicky problem for this motorcycle. Everything else has worked fine, though. I'm assuming there's nothing from Ma Yamaha on this?

Sorry to hear you're having issues.  CHECK THE SIMPLE STUFF FIRST.  Sorry to yell, but really, the conditions you describe make me want to double/triple check that the brake pedal is fully returning to the up position and that the switches are not sticking for the pedal or the lever.  90% of CC issues are just this simple, a bit of crud that keeps the brake light on and tells the system to not engage the CC because the brakes are on, which is a signal to disable CC.

Are you positive that your brake light isn't on when you're getting the flashing CC light?

Have you checked the codes?  Nice write up on how to do it just a bit earlier in this thread.  It's really not that common a problem as it may appear, but a few have had a difficult time sorting weird issues related to the CC.
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline prowlnS10

• 2014 ES
Before I add my experience & solution that seems to have worked for me just want to thank all the critical thinkers that have collectively worked thru some obviously complicated issues/diagnostics!  My 2014 ES (23k kms) first displayed the blinking cc light 2 months ago randomly & intermittently & would resolve itself thru restarting the bike, restoring functionality...but never any error code.  My 1st attempt to solve the problem was to check all switch adjustments & clean all switches with electronic cleaner (without disassembly) & abs sensors but during the next 2k km trip, a month later, it's occurrence increased, but still returning to functioning status after restarts.  Still no error codes were stored, so this time I attempted to duplicate the issue by manually apply the front & rear brakes while on the center stand & not running & I got lucky & observed that the front brake switch would randomly stick in the on position (brake lights stay on) & generate a 090 error code (interesting because no error codes were displayed previously.  This time I disassembled the front brake switch assembly to get access to the 2 micro switches inside that are operated by sequential paddles (cc switch 1st, followed by brake switch last)....cleaned them with cleaner while manually manipulating the switches hoping to get cleaner to the internals.  NOTE: if you operate the brake micro switch independent of the cc micro switch an 090 error codes is generated, so it appears the bike diagnostics wants to see the 2 operate in correct sequence.  ALSO NOTE: when reinstalling the micro switches into the assembly be sure to depress the protruding assembly actuating tab that interfaces with the brake lever BEFORE snapping the assembly cover/micro switches in place, to avoid contact with the actuating paddles!  Otherwise you risk damaging or breaking off the protruding micro switch activation tab housed in the rubber boot.  I thought I had snapped off the one on the brake switch....luckily I was able to reinsert into the micro switch restoring function.  The brake switch assembly is $184 Canadian & the clutch assembly is $230, both special order from Japan with 2-3 weeks eta...yikes! So far so good, no more flashing cc light or sticking brake light...but only a few 100 km of riding...will update if problem returns.  Thanks again, I would not have known where to start without this thread!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:16:11 pm by prowlnS10 »