Author Topic: HARD START  (Read 168501 times)

Offline SilverBullet

Re: HARD START
« Reply #870 on: April 09, 2018, 12:50:10 am »

...Anthony says he has never seen this and I trust him on that..

I would believe that statement also. I have over 100k miles after his reflash and not a single hard start.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2004 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2002 KTM 300 EXC

Offline Brick

« Reply #871 on: April 12, 2018, 09:13:49 am »
I too have his reflash no problems.
However last Sunday my bike acted like the battery was dead. Not enough juice to start it. I got in to jump start it and found a loose battery connection. I tightened it and it’s worked fine ever since!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 ES Yamaha Super Tenere'
'99 SV-650
'15 FJ-09
Wanna see where I'm riding?
http://tinyurl.com/3a343vx
www.ridemsta.com

Offline Arizoner

• The Dude
« Reply #872 on: April 28, 2018, 12:38:44 am »
Getting ready for a long trip.  I'm still on my original OEM 2.5 year old battery, and no indications of problems as of now.  I'm debating changing it before I go, just to get rid of a possible hard start in the middle of nowhere.  Am I worrying too much about a young battery, or has anybody had theirs fail within 3 years?  Next one will be a Yuasa YTZ14S unless I get talked out of it.    Thx
IBA 23750
1973 G3SS
KZ 1000 Z1 Classic
ST1100
K1200RS
DL1000
2015 Sparkly Tomato Soup Red S10
2005 R1100S BCR

Offline cavenger

« Reply #873 on: April 28, 2018, 07:13:54 am »
Getting ready for a long trip.  I'm still on my original OEM 2.5 year old battery, and no indications of problems as of now.  I'm debating changing it before I go, just to get rid of a possible hard start in the middle of nowhere.  Am I worrying too much about a young battery, or has anybody had theirs fail within 3 years?  Next one will be a Yuasa YTZ14S unless I get talked out of it.    Thx
I don't have the brand in front of me but I got a really nice new battery more powerful, blah blah blah. It does it just as bad if not worse. Mine is really doing it now and I don't know why.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2014 (Non-ES) Super Tenere

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #874 on: April 28, 2018, 08:11:48 am »
With the AGM installed by Yamaha, you have a mid-life battery unless you live somewhere really hard on batteries, or if you keep letting it fully discharge. Assuming you are in Arizona, it may be worth taking the battery to a store to do a load check, but if it has had no issues, the AGMs are good for a lot longer than 2 years normally.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Arizoner

• The Dude
« Reply #875 on: April 28, 2018, 12:56:14 pm »
With the AGM installed by Yamaha, you have a mid-life battery unless you live somewhere really hard on batteries, or if you keep letting it fully discharge. Assuming you are in Arizona, it may be worth taking the battery to a store to do a load check, but if it has had no issues, the AGMs are good for a lot longer than 2 years normally.

Yes, I'm in Arizona.  Bike is ridden regularly, but usually in moderate temps...45-95F temps (95 is a moderate high for Arizona at least).

I think I'm just going to spend the $$ now on a new battery as an insurance policy, instead of trying to milk another number of months out of it.

Thanks for the input.
IBA 23750
1973 G3SS
KZ 1000 Z1 Classic
ST1100
K1200RS
DL1000
2015 Sparkly Tomato Soup Red S10
2005 R1100S BCR

Online RonH

« Reply #876 on: April 28, 2018, 07:36:38 pm »
Of course buying a new battery is not a bad idea normally, but even new can go bad, and the first few months is the real test. I put a new $200 Ford battery in a 1993 E350 van and it lasted 12 miles, drove it 12 miles on day one, all fine, day 2 battery was at 0.00v, dead short from pos to neg.. I trust a working battery more than a new one for the first few months at least. In other words I wouldn't replace the battery right before leaving on a trip unless necessary.
2017 Super Tenere 1200ES, 2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Offline Brewers Whoop

« Reply #877 on: April 29, 2018, 06:12:22 am »
How widespread is this issue with Gen 1's? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a '13, which I've chosen for numerous reasons not least of which is the absence of reliability issues compared with, ahem, some other popular 1200cc adventure bikes.

But just found this thread, and must admit it's made me a little bit lairy. I ride alone often, in (by UK standards) sparsely populated areas. Intermittent show stopping probably electronic issues of no clearly recognised cause are a worry. Am I right to be concerned, or are these classic symptoms of internet-induced anxiety!

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #878 on: April 29, 2018, 09:40:16 am »
How widespread is this issue with Gen 1's? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a '13, which I've chosen for numerous reasons not least of which is the absence of reliability issues compared with, ahem, some other popular 1200cc adventure bikes.

But just found this thread, and must admit it's made me a little bit lairy. I ride alone often, in (by UK standards) sparsely populated areas. Intermittent show stopping probably electronic issues of no clearly recognised cause are a worry. Am I right to be concerned, or are these classic symptoms of internet-induced anxiety!

A few bikes had the issue, but not the majority and most folks never had a hard start. When you see a thread like this here or on a forum for any other machine, they become magnets for the few people who focus on that one topic. I'm not saying it wasn't an issue for some, but of the thousands and thousands of these bikes built, look for how many of these are posts by the same people. FJRs had the grounding spider and key switches, Harleys had a cam issue, BMWs...ummm you get the idea.

That said, if you go back through the thread, there shouldn't be a worry about becoming stranded. Having a healthy battery means a lot and we've learned to replace the OEM 12S model of battery with the bigger capacity in the 14S. When going to start the bike, let the instrument needle do it's full sweep and the fuel pump sound to end before pushing the starter button. When the bike does start, don't shut it off right away, let the idle stabilize or even let it run for a minute. Not doing these is a way to increase the odds of a hard start the next time. Even if you force the bike into a hard start, it'll almost always clear and start on the next attempt by holding the throttle in the full open position while cranking.

For the couple bikes which STILL have an issue, the owners have gotten them to start, as listed in these pages. 
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline moaralpha

« Reply #879 on: April 29, 2018, 03:53:54 pm »

I would believe that statement also. I have over 100k miles after his reflash and not a single hard start.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Where can I find info on Anthony's reflash? I just pick up a 15 non-ES bone stock...

Thanks!

Offline SilverBullet

« Reply #880 on: April 29, 2018, 07:07:20 pm »
Where can I find info on Anthony's reflash? I just pick up a 15 non-ES bone stock...

Thanks!

avc8130 is Anthony, his vendor thread is below
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=10252.0
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2004 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
2002 KTM 300 EXC

Offline dcstrom

• Super Tenere information
« Reply #881 on: July 10, 2018, 08:44:51 am »
Just thought I'd summarize my recent experience here. Full story

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=24487.0

I had a problem with engine dying soon after starting or just not starting. This seemed to have something to do with the sidestand switch (error code 19) - it started happening in the days after very heavy rain (although I wasn't out riding in it!). I persisted daily for a week, every time I was able to restart the bike by switching off and back on. I was considering cutting wires to bypass the sidestand switch, but first thought I'd try drowning the switch in WD40. Seems to be fixed! No reoccurence in the 6 days since then, and almost 2000 miles covered in that time.

Now I'm in Ireland and for a change I have a nice cosy shed to store the bike. First night in the shed, it wouldn't start the next morning. Hmm maybe it's used to being out in the open! So now I didn't know if this was a return of the sidestand switch problem, or a regular hard start. Two differences - now the check engine light wasn't flashing when trying to start, and checking diags revealed no new Code 19 error. So just a regular hard start then? Happened at odd times during the 140,000 miles, first time at about 5000 miles I had to charge the battery twice before it finally started. But that was before we had community knowledge on how to solve this. Since then any time I've detected a possible hard start I've just gone WOT and it's started every time. Not this time though.

I took the next logical step and removed the FI fuse. Turning over then it gave a couple of coughs, which let me know I was on the right track at least. If it was some other electronics problem other than a rich mixture, it probably wouldn't have done that. Fuse back in, didn't start, out again, cough, back in, no start, out, cough, back in, battery failing now... it fired. Woo Hoo!

So a difficult hard start, but glad it wasn't related to my previous Code 19 or any other electronics issues.
Currently travelling from DC to Argentina http://tinyurl.com/EscapeFromDC
http://supertenere1200.com/

Offline Ramseybella

« Reply #882 on: July 10, 2018, 04:45:39 pm »
Just thought I'd summarize my recent experience here. Full story

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=24487.0

I had a problem with engine dying soon after starting or just not starting. This seemed to have something to do with the sidestand switch (error code 19) - it started happening in the days after very heavy rain (although I wasn't out riding in it!). I persisted daily for a week, every time I was able to restart the bike by switching off and back on. I was considering cutting wires to bypass the sidestand switch, but first thought I'd try drowning the switch in WD40. Seems to be fixed! No reoccurence in the 6 days since then, and almost 2000 miles covered in that time.

Now I'm in Ireland and for a change I have a nice cosy shed to store the bike. First night in the shed, it wouldn't start the next morning. Hmm maybe it's used to being out in the open! So now I didn't know if this was a return of the sidestand switch problem, or a regular hard start. Two differences - now the check engine light wasn't flashing when trying to start, and checking diags revealed no new Code 19 error. So just a regular hard start then? Happened at odd times during the 140,000 miles, first time at about 5000 miles I had to charge the battery twice before it finally started. But that was before we had community knowledge on how to solve this. Since then any time I've detected a possible hard start I've just gone WOT and it's started every time. Not this time though.

I took the next logical step and removed the FI fuse. Turning over then it gave a couple of coughs, which let me know I was on the right track at least. If it was some other electronics problem other than a rich mixture, it probably wouldn't have done that. Fuse back in, didn't start, out again, cough, back in, no start, out, cough, back in, battery failing now... it fired. Woo Hoo!

So a difficult hard start, but glad it wasn't related to my previous Code 19 or any other electronics issues.
How many miles you have on this bike? :question:
Have you thought the Fuel pump may be needing a new filter or a replacement?
"Technology applied for the sake of those who wish to escape it"

Offline dcstrom

• Super Tenere information
« Reply #883 on: July 10, 2018, 05:38:36 pm »
>How many miles you have on this bike? :question:
>Have you thought the Fuel pump may be needing a new filter or a replacement?

140,000 miles - fuel pump filter was full at 100,000 miles (though amazingly the bike still ran ok), so replaced then. Should still be ok, especially since fuel has probably been cleaner in the 40,000 since then.
Currently travelling from DC to Argentina http://tinyurl.com/EscapeFromDC
http://supertenere1200.com/

Offline cavenger

« Reply #884 on: July 10, 2018, 06:23:11 pm »
For what it's worth,  all of my hard start problems went away when I installed a stronger battery.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2014 (Non-ES) Super Tenere