Author Topic: Didn't see this coming, Goodbye Victory  (Read 2313 times)

Offline OldRider

Didn't see this coming, Goodbye Victory
« on: January 09, 2017, 12:03:39 pm »
Most people don't realize just how bad of shape the motorcycle industry is in. Several major distributors have gone out of business ( KK, Dixie, Marshall, Motorcycle Stuff...) in the last few years and the others have been closing warehouses and down sizing.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/company/article/victory-motorcycles-important-announcement
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:08:34 pm by OldRider »

Offline snakebitten

Re: Didn't see this coming, Goodbye Victory
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 12:20:39 pm »
I actually thought Victory was a success story. Didn't know otherwise.

I'm surprised too.
XT1200Z  TBDBITW  (The Biggest Dirt Bike in The World)
KTM 500 EXC              Dirtiest Street Bike In The World
KTM 950 SE           (The Substitute for the XT700Z that's coming)

Offline Davesax36

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 12:22:40 pm »
That's no good. I liked them.

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:22:48 pm »
Wow!
Thanks
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline bob dirt

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 02:19:51 pm »
I have a couple of friends with Victory's. This surprises me. Probably making too much money from their RZR's to play with weird looking street bikes. I almost bought one once 8)
Life is short...eat the cookie

Offline Dogdaze

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 02:29:40 pm »
Everyone wants a HD.  It's that simple, not enough buyers for the Victory, although I really like their bikes, nice rides, smooth engines, but just not a HD. Let's hope Indian does not fall too.
As I get older, I am no longer surprised at what I know, I'm surprised at how much I don't know.

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 02:34:59 pm »
I actually considered the Indian Scout the other day. It's a $bargain for trying out a genre of bike I have never enjoyed before.

I know this is supposedly NOT about Indian, but it doesn't exactly exude confidence in either marquee long-term.
XT1200Z  TBDBITW  (The Biggest Dirt Bike in The World)
KTM 500 EXC              Dirtiest Street Bike In The World
KTM 950 SE           (The Substitute for the XT700Z that's coming)

Offline Scubatech

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 02:39:27 pm »

I think Polaris is focusing on the Indian Brand. They are selling pretty well and the Dealer near me has several used Hogs that were traded in on the Indian. They are nicely done and would compete very well against Harley unless one just wants the that brand for loyalty.
2016 Yamaha racing yellow.

Offline Kabish

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 02:53:10 pm »
Wow RIP...

Such amazing bikes too.

Offline RicoChet

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 03:22:34 pm »
I jus't understand guys. Seriously, how many people here actually see Victories on the road? How many people see Indians on the road? How can they possibly thing Indian will do better?

Also, who the hell is Indian marketed towards? Go to ANYONE under 30 years old and ask them if they can name or recognize any Indian motorcycle. Who is buying Indians? Victory bikes are absolutely gorgeous, I personally wouldn't buy one but when I go to the bike show they are always some of the most beautiful bikes on the floor.

I simply don't understand how they would rather get rid of a good looking, well liked brand to go for some old heritage bike that is way uglier then any HD I've ever seen. Yes, they have good updated technology with cruise control and radio and stuff but honostly who would spend the money?!
Current Bike: 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES & 2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 03:37:13 pm »
It's too bad. Though I have admired their bikes and their accomplishments, I have to admit there was never anything offered in their lineup that even caused a vague tick in my check writing hand.  I'm just not a form-before-function, cruiser kind of customer. I had hoped that with the acquisition of Indian, Polaris would focus on cruisers in that line and free up Victory to do more performance oriented bikes. Their recent efforts at the IoM and Pikes Peak seemed to signal a move in that direction - now this :(
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline VRODE

• Easy Does It
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 05:56:55 pm »
I'm not totally surprised. The motorcycle industry is going thru tough times. When they came out with the Indian Scout, I thought that was right about where their Victory marketing was. I hope Indian makes up some market share with a little more diversified product range.
2016 ES "Godzilla"

Offline magic

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 06:16:55 pm »
Wow, I am quite surprised. I thought they had a pretty good following. I liked the styling and concept of the Judge and some of their other bare bikes, but some of that Arlen Ness inspired stuff was just plain strange. (Vision). When I had Harleys, there were several local guys that switched to Victorys. They all had problems with their HDs like cam chain tensioners and charging systems. So, they switched and seemed pretty happy with their Victorys.

Offline fredz43

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 06:33:57 pm »
It seems to me that since Polaris owned both Indian and Victory, it didn't make much sense for them to competing against each other. The newer Indians are rather good looking and good performing, well engineered bikes. Much better looking that the earlier ones with big fenders, etc. Indian has gotten serious about going after HD in the flattrack wars and their early appearances on a few of the national miles at the end of 2016 showed that they are very competitive. In addition, they hired the 3 best pro racers to be on their team for 2017. They have competed successfully with their Project 156 in the Pikes Peak hillclimb and done well. If they continue developing those bikes and transfer that performance and styling to their street bikes, I believe they will have a winner.

As far as ugly bikes, that batman looking tourer Victory brought out a few years ago may be one of the ugliest production bikes ever made. This whole deal makes sense to me.

But what do I know? ;D
You're only young once.
BUT, you can be immature forever! :-)

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Offline RCinNC

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 12:31:15 pm »
Competing against HD in the Big Twin cruiser market is always going to be an uphill battle; after all, you're fighting against a 100 plus year history of brand recognition, and "Harley" is as implanted in peoples' minds as a name for cruiser as "Xerox" is implanted in some of us older guys as synonymous with photocopier.  The Japanese could do it because they already had a long established tradition of making motorcycles (with the attendant name recognition, economic power, and dealer network) before they got into the Harley clone type bikes.  Jumping into that market and trying to sell only cruisers (with no other kinds of bikes to appeal to other demographics), and competing with a company that sells in the range of a quarter million bikes per year would be a tightrope walk for any company.  Polaris trying to do that while owning both Victory and Indian would be doubly difficult; in a sense, they are competing against themselves in a market already dominated by one company.

I'm sorry to see any American bike manufacturer fold up shop, though I've never been a Victory fan (way too "Arlen Ness-y" for my tastes).  I'd love to be able to buy an American made sportbike or ADV bike that had the engineering quality of a Japanese bike, but I don't think that's ever going to happen, unless they ban the import of all Japanese and European bike makers.
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
2012 Suzuki DL650 (traded)
2004 HD Road King Custom (sold)
2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600 (traded)
1994 Yamaha Virago 1100 (traded)
1982 Honda V45 Sabre (traded)
1984 Kawasaki 440LTD (sold)