Yamaha OEM STD
40 (31.7%)
Yamaha LOW OEM
3 (2.4%)
OTHER
22 (17.5%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Voting closed: January 29, 2017, 10:54:18 am

Author Topic: What Seat Do You Have On Your Yamaha Super Tenere ?  (Read 6528 times)

Offline ov1

Re: What Seat Do You Have On Your Yamaha Super Tenere ?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 05:32:24 pm »
Currently I have a Seth laam seat,  only put about 500km on it so far, but no complaints. Because Seth is not listed on the vote list, I voted "Other"

copy paste quote from another site

Seth Laam is a new name to most, also from the Redding area. He worked with Rick Mayer  for a number of years before going on his own. His build approach is similar to Rick's, adding different densities of foam where needed and building a cover to fit.
I've had seats from all of these sources and believe that any of them are capable of delivering a very comfortable seat. Most will tell you (even the other makers) if the rider is very heavy that the Russell would be the best choice because of the spring suspension system used.
Costs vary between them. In general I believe the Russell is most expensive. I believe that Bill Mayers is next the Rick's. At this point in time I believe Seth is the least expensive.
My most recent seat buying experience was for my 1400 Concours and i had Seth Laam do it. I have to say that I don't know that I have ever met anyone in the industry who is more focused on customer service. He likes to talk to the customer on the phone, after intitially telling him what I wanted he called me when it was going into production and then again on the day he shipped it and once more later to see what I thought of it. Each time emphasizing if there was something I didn't like that he would be happy to make any changes necessary. Hard to find that kind of service.
Hope that some of this might be useful to those contemplating having a seat redone.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:34:40 pm by ov1 »
Yamaha Tenere 2014 ES
Yamaha Tenere 2012
Honda VFR's 1992,1995,1997,1999,2001,2002,2005
Yamaha FJ 1984,1985,1986 X 2
Suzuki 1983 1100ES
Kawasaki 1975 750 H2

Offline Harry Dresden PI

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 06:46:09 pm »
I bought a Saddlemen Adventure Tour Seat. Absolutely loved the seating area. It is very comfortable. They did not address the slope of the seat (of course you can do this yourself). I did not like the slippery seat cover or how hard it was to put on the bike. Horrible fit.

I ended up placing a Coleman ATV Comfort Seat Protector on and have never looked back. They fit great on the Tenere and make a huge difference in all day comfort and they only cost $15.00.

For $15 worth a try with the OEM seat. How long have you have the Coleman ATV Comfort Seat ? (Months miles)
Yamaha 2014 S10 ES ... (Gray) Photo Doobie Brother's (Cocoa Village, FL)

Offline HBLQRider

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 10:24:58 pm »
For $15 worth a try with the OEM seat. How long have you have the Coleman ATV Comfort Seat ? (Months miles)

I really think it is worth a try with the OEM seat. It fits well and doesn't look as out of place as you would expect.

I think I have ridden about 1,000 miles on it over several months (I don't ride very often). I will say that over time I think the ATV Comfort Seat may soften up and need to be replaced. I'll post here if that happens.

Offline Tenerester

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 11:31:07 pm »
I am quite happy with stock seat (2014 ES) and I think its very well designed. Have ridden almost 35K miles on it and have done several 500 mile days on long trips. As a habit I never ride more the 90 minutes at a stretch and ensure I take at least a five minute break after an hour of riding. Never had a sore back or numb buttocks.
In my humble opinion, if you have to consistently ride more than 500 miles a day, it's no longer an adventure trip. You are just using the motorcycle as a means of transport to get from point A to B.
Current:
2014 Super Tenere ES - Matte Grey
2016 Ducati Panigale 959 - Red
History:
2014 BMW R1200RT - Quartz Blue
2012 BMW F650GS (800cc) Twin - White Aluminium
2009 Suzuki DR650SE - Black 
2005 Suzuki GS500F

Offline jimmy z

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 12:37:29 am »
R.D.L. Passenger  seat also.

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 07:49:31 am »
Most of the riders that find the stock seat to be fine are lighter riders.  Simply put, they are not compressing the foam all the way and the stock seat does it's job for them.  No harm there.  My 145 lb friend found my stock seat to be "amazing" and claimed it was the most comfortable stock seat he had ever ridden on.  I weighed around 260 at that time, not so good for me.

In response to Tenerester's comment about distance, the other side of that coin is time.  When I have more time, I ride shorter days.  When I have less time, I ride longer days.  I still get to the same places and see the things I want to see.  My 'local' riding area might be a tad larger than yours since I'm willing to cover more ground each day.  That's no big deal, just saying that what works for you, doesn't necessarily apply to others, in terms of what's an acceptable riding day.  500 miles is a relaxed 8 hour ride for me solo.  With the wife along on her bike, that goes up to 10-12 hours, still at a relaxed pace.  We often spend more time riding less miles too, when we have the time.  We both have custom seats, and three digit IBA numbers.   ;)
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline worncog

• Live a life worth living.
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 10:39:03 am »
I'm currently using the Seat Concepts low seat for the front section. It works good and have put a few 500 mile days on it recently. Not perfect, but for the price I scored it for, it will work for now. If height allows, more specifically inseam, I recommend the RDL. Personally, 175lbs, 67" height, and 30" inseam precludes me from the RDL.

A Seth Lamm combo is in my future as I have one on my C10 and have put about 75k happy miles on it with more 750 mile days than I can remember. Seth's prices are competitive and typically cheaper than most. He did shape my C10 seat with a narrower front section to allow better foot to ground contact, which is more critical for me on the S10 than the C10.
14 Super Tenere, 06 Concours, 74 R75/6 Hack, 72 XS650, 83 XS650

Offline airmed

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 11:10:05 am »
worncog,

I've got the same measurements as you and went with the RDL.  I'm not sure what your comfort level is as far as footing goes, but I'm fine being on the balls of my feet.  I've never flat footed a m-cycle since I've owned one.  When I had mine built, I emphasized the fact that I was short, and would have a reach problem.  They sculpted a nice slope angled out of the "bowl" which allows me to slide down towards the tank when coming to a stop.  I really don't find that stopped position any higher than what it used to be stock.  Believe me, I was concerned about the added height, but it's really a non-issue and I'm glad I went with the standard RDL.
2014 ES

Offline VRODE

• Easy Does It
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 12:11:22 pm »
I'm ordering something from Terry's Custom Seats  http://www.terryscustomseats.com/

Not my bike but his work...

2016 ES "Godzilla"

Offline fred-houston

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 12:46:07 pm »
I went with a Baldwin.  I haven't taken a picture of it on my bike, but this is my seat that he put on his Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/BaldwinMotorbikeSaddles/photos/pcb.1775403346027061/1775403129360416/?type=3
2016 Yellow Super T
1999 Kawasaki Concours C-10 (Semi Naked - EFI)

Offline fac191

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 01:26:07 pm »
Really jealous of how many options you Americans have for aftermarket everything !

Offline worncog

• Live a life worth living.
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 02:23:29 pm »
worncog,

I've got the same measurements as you and went with the RDL.  I'm not sure what your comfort level is as far as footing goes, but I'm fine being on the balls of my feet.  I've never flat footed a m-cycle since I've owned one.  When I had mine built, I emphasized the fact that I was short, and would have a reach problem.  They sculpted a nice slope angled out of the "bowl" which allows me to slide down towards the tank when coming to a stop.  I really don't find that stopped position any higher than what it used to be stock.  Believe me, I was concerned about the added height, but it's really a non-issue and I'm glad I went with the standard RDL.

Appreciate the feedback airmed. Seats can be a real pain in the ass.  ;)  I'll have to take another look at the RDL. 
14 Super Tenere, 06 Concours, 74 R75/6 Hack, 72 XS650, 83 XS650

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 10:56:32 pm »
Really jealous of how many options you Americans have for aftermarket everything !

You won't hear this yank complain much about the good ole USA. We've been extremely blessed, even if it's not as fashionable to still state so.
Having said that, there are plenty of things we can be "jealous" of our European brethren when it comes to 2-wheel adventuring.
There's a few bikes you folks can get your hands on that we can't. But more important to me, you can drive through small back road villages where the front door on the houses are older than the history of us yanks. :)
That, and I can drive 1000 miles and still be in my home state. On your side of the pond I might take weeks to do the same distance and get to taste several cultures, languages, and customs.  I personally find that fascinating!
XT1200Z  TBDBITW  (The Biggest Dirt Bike in The World)
KTM 500 EXC              Dirtiest Street Bike In The World
KTM 950 SE           (The Substitute for the XT700Z that's coming)

Offline moondoggie

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 04:51:51 pm »
Check out Terrys Custom Seats in Manchester TN. He makes a Russell like bucket (I had a Russell on my St1300 and loved it) but in vinyl it  is only $250. I love mine. He gets pictures of you on the bike (like Russell) and custom builds. I rode 850  miles one day and 700 a few days later. It is a great seat.

The pictures in the above Terry's Custom Seats post is my bike (Blue Tenere).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:02:38 am by moondoggie »

Offline Langolier

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 06:09:37 pm »
I have a Seth Laam seat, Still happy after 5000+ mi
Law of Logical Argument:
Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.