Author Topic: Shopping for a top case.  (Read 1176 times)

Offline bnschroder

• 2014 Super Tenere ES
Re: Shopping for a top case.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 09:01:24 pm »
Hey there,
The one I have is this one from GIVI Outback 58L Top case. It can hold two full size helmets, the case is big and quite suites the size of ST.
Here are some pics https://goo.gl/photos/EqsjqXFEnJeDtTAm6.

This thing is humongous - and even if that is a sturdy Aluminum rack, the fact that the mounting point on the frame is basically under the front edge of the case makes me shiver. The stress on the mounting points must be enormous.

Offline .

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 03:35:32 am »
This thing is humongous - and even if that is a sturdy Aluminum rack, the fact that the mounting point on the frame is basically under the front edge of the case makes me shiver. The stress on the mounting points must be enormous.

There are 4 mounting points on the frame with M8 bolts through Ř18 and Ř22 tall spacers.
The load should not exceed 13lbs (6kg).

You can judge the mounting pattern by this instructions sheet https://www.yumpu.com/xx/document/view/49822823/sra2101-kra2101-givi
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:44:07 am by . »

Offline 1954

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 02:52:39 pm »
I got the 42L version of the Givi trekker outback because you can't open the lids of the oem yamaha sidecans with the bigger top box. I have had 2 other monokey top boxes(one a 52L) and no problems with the mounting system. If someone has broken the front tabs it would be nice to know.

Offline bnschroder

• 2014 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 11:05:37 pm »
There are 4 mounting points on the frame with M8 bolts through Ř18 and Ř22 tall spacers.
The load should not exceed 13lbs (6kg).

You can judge the mounting pattern by this instructions sheet https://www.yumpu.com/xx/document/view/49822823/sra2101-kra2101-givi

Thanks for sharing the link. Interesting that it uses the stock base portion of the rack and just bolts through it with spacers. This is similar to how I bolted my B&W case to the rack. Well - if it's good enough for Givi, it should be good enough for me

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 01:02:57 am »
I got the 42L version of the Givi trekker outback because you can't open the lids of the oem yamaha sidecans with the bigger top box. I have had 2 other monokey top boxes(one a 52L) and no problems with the mounting system. If someone has broken the front tabs it would be nice to know.

I have the same top box and bought it for the same reasons. It's quite robust and after about 1000 miles of rough gravel/dirt roads the mont and box are showing no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Kabish

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 04:14:10 pm »
I too have the Givi Outback, although I do 100% street, it's be a great little case thus far.

Offline dietDrThunder

• Why so serious, son?
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 11:50:05 am »
People love to spend money :)

ANYway, it's a 2 step process to ensure durability and utility.

1. Replace the rear rack with a sturdier aftermarket unit. I bought one on Ebay and it has served its purpose well (can't link it, as I'm not seeing it on there at the moment). There are many available for $150 or less, that completely replace the OEM jobber, and that's what you want.

2. Buy the case linked below. It comes with a nice back rest, LED tail light, lots of space, fully waterproof, and is $90 shipped. I've got about 150k miles using these boxes and I've never had any issues of any kind with them. Note that the mount plate is universal, so you might have to drill your own holes or whatever to get the box in the spot you prefer, but I've never had problems doing that.

http://www.bestemusa.com/Bestem-Quick-Release-T-Box-929-Top-Box-Flat-Black_p_1039.html

Anyway, the point is that you can both upgrade the OEM bracket, plus get an escellent trunk solution for less than half the money that some folks spend on a trunk alone. It's a plastic box; there really isn't that much to it.
Dave in Nashville
IBA #64795
WERA Expert #13, retired
DoD #11011

Offline WJBertrand

• Ventura Highway
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 02:09:13 pm »
I don't think you can open some close fitting, top opening panniers with that box in place, I know my OEM panniers would not open with a similar shaped 46L Givi from my ST1300 that I was hoping to use.  Ended up with the narrower 42L Outback case instead.
-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline dietDrThunder

• Why so serious, son?
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 09:42:22 am »
I don't think you can open some close fitting, top opening panniers with that box in place, I know my OEM panniers would not open with a similar shaped 46L Givi from my ST1300 that I was hoping to use.  Ended up with the narrower 42L Outback case instead.

This is a good point for sure. The rear rack that I bought allows for a high or low mount. If I were to use the low mount, I would not be able to open the side cases on my bike. But, that's because as I don't ride with a passenger much, I have the top case mounted in a more forward position than I otherwise would. If, like the OP, I had passenger carrying as a priority, the case would be mounted father back, and the pannier lids would easily clear.

But ya, this is a consideration, no doubt about it.
Dave in Nashville
IBA #64795
WERA Expert #13, retired
DoD #11011

testate