Author Topic: Hello All! My name is Marc and I have a problem  (Read 1946 times)

Offline MidlifeMotor

Re: Hello All! My name is Marc and I have a problem
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 11:13:09 pm »
Vstrom vs Tenere vs KTM Adventure.

That pretty much covers the spread in this ever-widening Big Pig ADV genre.

What differentiates these 3 is their true mission statement vs their marketing image.
There's plenty of real world documentation on this forum to more than reveal what the Tenere REALLY is.

But I do have an opinion. :)

If you find it appealing to load your ADV bike down like a pack-mule (or 2-up) and then leave your back porch ON the bike, and head out for weeks and many thousands of miles, all in total comfort, then set up camp with all that cargo you brought along, leaving the bike stripped down to mountain-goat format, thus finding mountaintop views, all without concern for reliability.............you get the idea. I personally feel the Tenere is without equal, in that very specific travel plan.

Admittedly, that's not everyone's plan of adventure. And the more you deviate, the likelihood one of the other bikes might demote the Tenere.
But none of them can render the Tenere less than amazing.

The one aspect that some of the competition can spank the Tenere, is in shear horse power. But if you are someone who would keep your Tenere shod with real off road tires, the horse power war becomes silly.  At that point, the tire becomes the equalizer. Even 100 HP can spool up a TKC80 into a melted mass. :)

Welcome aboard!

I have been away a while, but I still have my 12 Tenere and ride it often (all the time).  Glad to see Snakebitten is still here giving out 100 percent good advice.

I rode a KTM Adventure last week at a demo.  Very impressive.  But what SB stated above stands true with me--100 HP is plenty, and the ST offers that plus better reliability.  So many riders chase a bike that can do so much more than the rider can perform.  If a rider can out ride the performance of the ST, then so be it, but most can't.  I love my ST and wouldn't trade it for any other Adventure bike, I tend to focus on improving my personal riding skills above anything else. JMO.
It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Offline iamovru

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 12:07:02 pm »
Thanks all and happy to be aboard  :) I will post up when I am ready to pull the trigger. If anyone knows of a nice bike coming up for sale, lemme know. I would like to stay in the $7000 price range.
Beta 300 Race current bike. 2011 Gas Gas 300EC stolen by a SCUM BAG, 09 KTM450EXC, 09 KTM 300XC, 05 KTM 525 MXC with a California plate ;). and several others

Offline AVGeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2016, 11:55:40 am »
Thanks all and happy to be aboard  :) I will post up when I am ready to pull the trigger. If anyone knows of a nice bike coming up for sale, lemme know. I would like to stay in the $7000 price range.

Mine is currently for sale...just a short flight and a nice ride from Vegas back to SoCal!
IBA# 54462

Offline iamovru

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 08:15:49 pm »
Mine is currently for sale...just a short flight and a nice ride from Vegas back to SoCal!

Right! I have seen it on here and would love to have it when I am ready. I can start making payments now  ::008::
Beta 300 Race current bike. 2011 Gas Gas 300EC stolen by a SCUM BAG, 09 KTM450EXC, 09 KTM 300XC, 05 KTM 525 MXC with a California plate ;). and several others

Offline midohiojohn

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 08:52:00 am »
Hello Marc,  I wrestled with the same question since this past summer.  I did a demo ride on the KTM Super Adv. and instantly thought, I have to have one of these. Then I started to do my research. After that research was done, and EVERYTHING was considered, I am now the evr so pleased owner of a 2016 Super Tenere ES. Price was a factor, serviceability, number of dealers because I plan on going everywhere, Cruise, shaft drive, and available aftermarket support all played in my decision. I wish you all the best in making yours. Being on two wheels is a joy.  ::021::

Offline KOCONUT

• Riding like it's a giant supermoto
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 09:16:13 am »
Welcome from Huntington Beach!