Author Topic: Music in your helmet, a great idea or a distraction  (Read 1055 times)

Offline patrickg450

Re: Music in your helmet, a great idea or a distraction
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 09:00:15 am »
SLAYER
2012 Super Owner

every man dies, not every man lives

Offline JRE

• Going to hell on scholarship
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 10:48:40 am »
 :D This fall I was blasting down the Cherohala Skyway with a few other guys, hitting triple digits in several places with Megadeth cranking in my helmet. The road was freshly paved, the leaves were changing, very little traffic, and the temperature was perfect. It was surreal. I found that the music focused me rather than being a distraction.
Joe
I'm silently correcting your grammar
2014 Yamaha Super Ténéré ES
2009 Honda XR650L

Offline AVGeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 11:38:54 am »
I'm definitely in the music listener category, absolutely love it, especially on long runs.  I have a Sena setup as well, full bluetooth between my iPhone and helmet.  Since I also have the Garmin Montana, I added the SR10 when I have it giving me directions, and could eventually add a ham radio to to the mix.  I've only ever used the Sena once for intercom...but I used to have an Autocomm setup that I used more when my wife and I did 2-up on the FJR.

Forgot to mention that when I ride my quad, I don't have music rolling.  I did recently get a Rugged Radio setup for communicating with other members in my group, and one of my big complaints there is that I needed to find a location for the radio where I could reach the volume knob, as some people came in so loud that it hurts!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:41:06 am by AVGeek »
IBA# 54462

Offline hobdayd

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 11:50:11 am »
I was principally opposed to being distracted whilst riding but I use my phone with copilot for maps so wanted to hear the directions and invested in a Sena S20.

It was a revalation. I have a pre prepaired play list of mellow music which far from breaking my concentration adds to the experience.

Ditto on other comments relating to phone calls - people have no idea I am doing 70 MPH on a bike.

If I dont want to have music I just turn it off!

Offline Gobear

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 11:58:02 am »
All great information!

Thanks

Gobear

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 12:11:26 pm »
For those really fast runs
 :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OKAV9ouOYs
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Gobear

Offline Squibb

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 03:04:52 pm »
It's probably my age, but personally the fewer distractions the better for me when riding. So no cell phone or music in the helmet - I even dislike dark visors & sunnies, but I can live with a flip down shade. I have the full music system on my old Electraglide, but it's hardly ever used other than to show it off to the inquisitive bystanders.

Anyway, how can I moan about distracted cagers without taking the high ground. Each to their own though - I had to resort to music the last time I was riding across Texas & OK on monotonous slab, so I can sympathise.
2014 XT1200ZE/ES
2014 FJR1300AE
2006 H-D FLHTCUI
2012 BMW F650GS

Offline Arkyrider

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 03:39:08 pm »
There's one in every crowd, and this time it's me.  I'm firmly in the distraction category.  Tried it numerous times, always makes me anxious and uneasy to have music playing when on the bike.  Can't explain it.  Just doesn't work for me.

+1  Same here,  distraction.

Offline 78YZ

• Life is Good
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 06:12:44 pm »
Another vote for distraction.
2013 Super Tenere | 2008 WR250R | 2014 690 Enduro R

Offline VRODE

• Easy Does It
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 06:19:00 pm »
A new road or urban traffic? Music off.
Old, familiar roads or highway touring? Music on.
2016 ES "Godzilla"

Offline barkingllizard

• @theparty@theendoftheworld
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 07:34:07 pm »
I have a Cardo Scalarider G9 and have it paired with my Zumo 660, which is paired to my phone. The Zumo has over 500 of my favorite songs in the internal MP3 player. I also have a Sirius/XM satellite radio that has a FM transmitter, so I can use the G9's FM receiver to listen to that. The G9 has voice control, so after I turn it on, I don't have to fool with any buttons. If I want music, I say "music on" and the nice lady that lives in the G9, replies "music on" and the music starts. I have the MP3 set up for random play, so it selects the songs. If I want to manually go to the next song, I say "next track" and it goes to the next song. When I want to shut the music off and listen to the sat radio, it takes 2 commands, "music off" and then "radio on". If I get a phone call, the music pauses and I say "hello" and then talk. As others have said, the noise cancelling is amazing and people on the other end of the call can't tell that I am cruising down the road on my bike. It also has auto volume control, so it compensates for ambient noise as my speed increases.

Best of all, that sexy lady in the G9 welcomes me when I power it up by saying "Hello, Fred Ziglar". and when I turn it off, she says "goodbye". Don't any of you tell my wife about that sexy lady, or I'll be in trouble (again).  ;D

mine is the same experience as fredz43, with the exception: 95% on the time I am listening to podcasts, all rides, start to finish.....
comments with substance will be chastised by soulless pub riders lacking imagination...
and calling out princess trolls will be met with the monomaniacal pruning shears of censorship.....

Offline Jeff M

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 10:10:16 pm »
Didn't think I would like it ,but got the U-clear unit and I think it makes me more focused on whats around me , and like Gobear its ZZ Top when crusing. ::012::

Offline Brick

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 10:53:16 am »
Occasionally I listen to music off my iPhone through my SENA 20 but mostly I don't like/want the distraction. Recently I had to redo my iPhone and still haven't put my music back on. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 ES Yamaha Super Tenere'
'99 SV-650
'15 FJ-09
Wanna see where I'm riding?
http://tinyurl.com/3a343vx
www.ridemsta.com

Offline RicoChet

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 04:19:02 pm »
I have a sena installed in my helmet and my wifes helmet. We love it for listening to music. It's absolutely fantastic. You can even set them up so that other Sena's can tune into what you are listening. I never ride with out listening to my favourite music, especially on long commutes in traffic!
Current Bike: 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES & 2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster