Author Topic: Music in your helmet, a great idea or a distraction  (Read 720 times)

Offline Gobear

• 2016 Suzuki Burgman..grocery getter.
Music in your helmet, a great idea or a distraction
« on: December 13, 2016, 08:52:56 pm »
Hi Gang,

Been thinking about setting up my helmet with a set of small speakers to pump music through for long highway stretches.

Cheers

Gobear

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
Re: Music in your helmet, a great idea or a distraction
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 10:23:17 pm »
I normally have music on. The Sena S20 has the FM radio for commuting and will bluetooth the phone for canned music or Pandora.
On long trips, I generally get tired of listening to it, so turn it off.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline JRE

• Going to hell on scholarship
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 10:54:01 pm »
I listen to audiobooks on mine...it's only a distraction if you let it be. Don't be fiddling with changing songs, etc.
Joe
I'm silently correcting your grammar
2014 Yamaha Super Ténéré ES
2009 Honda XR650L

Offline escapefjrtist

• Searching for Dry Roads
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 11:39:18 pm »
I have a SENA unit on the helmet bluetoothed to the iPhone. I'll listen to music, link up the intercom and BS with the riding group or just veg out.  Great way to pass the time and it's not a distraction unless you let it be.

--G
IBA 34365
'12 Super Tenere
'15 FJR1300

Offline bob dirt

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 11:52:32 pm »
Gotta have my Pandora ::008::
I have U Clear with bluetooth
Life is short...eat the cookie

Offline DamMechanic

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 12:23:42 am »
Bluetooth my phone to my ear buds👍. Music, answer the phone and gps directions are all positives.
Ride while you can!

Offline pnelson

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 12:36:12 am »
I use Sena units and enjoy music and Kindle books on longer rides when connected to my Android smartphone over Bluetooth (no wires). The books especially help stave off boredom when on longer rides. It's also nice to be able to receive phone calls in the helmet. The noise canceling software in the Sena mic works so well that callers have no idea I'm going 70 mph and talking tho them.

To avoid it becoming a distraction.... Have your music playlists prepared ahead of time. I avoid messing with the phone when moving. Get to know the Sena controls and you can easily pause and skip as needed. The Kindle player works great using the same pause and skip controls.

There are different brands of Bluetooth helmet systems but I've never had problems with my Sena units. Sena still provides firmware updates, they always connect with my phones and with other riders. I don't think you have to always have the latest, greatest and my SMH5 and SMH10 are both working fine after lots and lots of miles, both on-road and off-road. Consider the kind of mic you want when you buy. If you get the model with only the boom mic and decide later you want the smaller stick on mic, you'll have to buy a new mounting plate. Here's a link to the version that has both mics. >> http://amzn.to/2gJBRxj

;-) Paul Nelson
2013 ST10 in Sandy, OR
Make things better.

Online fredz43

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 01:19:44 am »
I have a Cardo Scalarider G9 and have it paired with my Zumo 660, which is paired to my phone. The Zumo has over 500 of my favorite songs in the internal MP3 player. I also have a Sirius/XM satellite radio that has a FM transmitter, so I can use the G9's FM receiver to listen to that. The G9 has voice control, so after I turn it on, I don't have to fool with any buttons. If I want music, I say "music on" and the nice lady that lives in the G9, replies "music on" and the music starts. I have the MP3 set up for random play, so it selects the songs. If I want to manually go to the next song, I say "next track" and it goes to the next song. When I want to shut the music off and listen to the sat radio, it takes 2 commands, "music off" and then "radio on". If I get a phone call, the music pauses and I say "hello" and then talk. As others have said, the noise cancelling is amazing and people on the other end of the call can't tell that I am cruising down the road on my bike. It also has auto volume control, so it compensates for ambient noise as my speed increases.

Best of all, that sexy lady in the G9 welcomes me when I power it up by saying "Hello, Fred Ziglar". and when I turn it off, she says "goodbye". Don't any of you tell my wife about that sexy lady, or I'll be in trouble (again).  ;D
You're only young once.
BUT, you can be immature forever! :-)

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Offline yoyo

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 04:20:25 am »
I'm a big fan of listening to music when riding, it stops boredom creeping in but that said if I'm on a particular technical or 'spirited' ride I tend to turn it off.

Offline Dirt_Dad

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 05:26:52 am »
There's one in every crowd, and this time it's me.  I'm firmly in the distraction category.  Tried it numerous times, always makes me anxious and uneasy to have music playing when on the bike.  Can't explain it.  Just doesn't work for me.
15 Super Tenere
12 Super Tenere 
12 Yamaha XT250
13 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Standby diver

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 05:27:54 am »
I ride with music. I just use etymotic research ear buds, they sound good and block all that wind noise. It's never been a problem for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline Blind Squirrel

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 07:05:13 am »
I'm a big fan of listening to music when riding, it stops boredom creeping in but that said if I'm on a particular technical or 'spirited' ride I tend to turn it off.

Ditto.
-----
- Scott
Chesapeake Va.

Offline eemsreno

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 08:10:48 am »
I've tried music some but just don't like it. I want to enjoy the ride and be wrapped up in the experience of the ride. That's why I hardly ever turn on my Cruise control, I like to ride not be taken for a ride.

Offline Defekticon

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 08:47:35 am »
Love it. Also get GPS directions, rider to rider/pillion comms is a great safety feature. I can also voice dial from my helmet without hands in the event I'm in a wreck I can call for help without my hands assuming I'm still conscious. Took some time to adapt to, at first it is a distraction. I now use a Shoei GT-Air with the SENA 10u for touring and an Arai XD-4 with a 20s for dualsport/offroad and have been very happy with both and don't find it to be a distraction. I use google play, setup a radio station before I get on the bike and then use voice commands if I need to change it. Waze is also an excellent resource for the "Objects on road" audible warnings, of which there are many on 495/95 in the DC Metro area. I have some long boring commutes on the highway and it helps cut out the wind as well. Constant wind noise on a long touring trip is tiring.  I've had really poor luck with ear buds or even ear plugs. Never found any that were not extremely painful after 30 mins of riding. Probably my head shape/odd sized ears.

'14 Blue S10
'17 KTM 500EXC-F

Online fredz43

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 08:51:55 am »

Same here. Never when riding something that requires full attention. However, when I am on a boring stretch of superslab, turning on the cruise and music or radio helps to pass the time and adds to the enjoyment for me. YMMV.
You're only young once.
BUT, you can be immature forever! :-)

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.