Author Topic: Guys, the other woman is looking at me and I am looking back....KTM 1290 SA  (Read 3122 times)

Offline DonB

Re: Guys, the other woman is looking at me and I am looking back....KTM 1290 SA
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 08:34:05 pm »
Ok.  After thinking about it for a few days I must admit the ST is a pretty solid package.  My ST is only 2 years old and I don't ride as much as I used to.  I have decided to keep the 10 and forego the SA.  I would certainly like the 30+ extra horses but I don't want the chain hassle or the general feeling of "is this thing reliable" today when I want to ride.
So...I am sticking around.  I really need to get the clutch basket changed and the rear shock upgraded though.  Therefore  ::021::

Offline JRE

• Going to hell on scholarship
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 08:48:00 pm »
 ::022::
Where are you in OH?
Joe
I'm silently correcting your grammar
2014 Yamaha Super Ténéré ES
2009 Honda XR650L

Offline DonB

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 11:29:47 pm »
Springfield.  Just up the road form you I think.

Offline JRE

• Going to hell on scholarship
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 11:49:32 pm »
yep...if we ever get good weather you can a spin on my '14 to feel how yours should though I have to warn you it's got new tires, fresh drive and tranny oil, just synched TB's and it's spotless so performance may not be indicative of future results 😆
Oh and damn you for puttting the 1290 SA anywhere in my mind, I had studiously been avoiding the KTMs when I go into Cycle Specialties in Fairfield.  :D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 11:52:26 pm by JRE »
Joe
I'm silently correcting your grammar
2014 Yamaha Super Ténéré ES
2009 Honda XR650L

Offline Velvet

• El lobo solitario
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 12:55:45 pm »
Ok.  After thinking about it for a few days I must admit the ST is a pretty solid package.  My ST is only 2 years old and I don't ride as much as I used to.  I have decided to keep the 10 and forego the SA.  I would certainly like the 30+ extra horses but I don't want the chain hassle or the general feeling of "is this thing reliable" today when I want to ride.
So...I am sticking around.  I really need to get the clutch basket changed and the rear shock upgraded though.  Therefore  ::021::

Good call in my opinion.  I really don't think that you'll regret it.  Just do the minor upgrades and ride the absolute pi$$ out of it.

Offline Donk

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 06:20:34 am »
Good move!  Take it from a donk the grass will always look greener on the other side.  Seldom is when you get there.

Offline Madhatter

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 08:02:47 am »
there is an unwritten rule about " other women " no matter how pretty " she is " some one some where is tired of " her " crap.....

Offline Don T

• Bike-addict
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 04:00:15 pm »

With the kind of mileage you are doing there really isn't much "chain hassle", and I don't think there is any reason to worried about the reliability of a new 1290 - and with your mileage it will be "new" for several years.
Life is too short not to ride the bike you really want, if you can afford it - maybe a 1290 will make you ride more..?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 03:24:41 am by Don T »
Life is an adventure!
XT1200Z '15

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Rasher

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 07:14:38 am »
I went Orange  ::013::

Very different bikes, I only went for the standard Adventure as I could not see much benefit for the extra size and weight of the Super Adventure, maybe tank range and cruise control would be a bonus, but the stock adventure is a whopping 65kg lighter than the S10 with an extra 35 BHP (maybe more as the chain saps less power than the Shaft)

I would not have gone for the KTM if I wanted to clock huge mileages / keep it for many years, but for fairly low miles for a few years the S10 advantages are diminished:

* I should not need to replace the chain - and it has not needed adjusting in 5,000 miles (although does take some effort to clean and lube and I do miss the ease of a shaft)

* I will most likely never need a tappet service - which is only every 18,000 miles and a whole lot less work than the S10 so even if it is needed the cost is significantly lower than on the S10

* Reliability - I would not expect the KTM to fall apart in short order, I doubt it would clock up 100,000 miles with the ease the S10 does, but I would also expect to get way past 20,000 miles without any fears and have seen some bikes with @ 40,000 miles on them that have made it there reasonably trouble free.

I am loving the light weight, huge power and excellent suspension and would recommend an Orange bike to anyone who fancies a fling with something a bit more exotic, especially if they plan to do relatively low miles and can afford to swop it out before it gets too old / worn.

Offline RED CAT

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 11:02:22 am »
I don't believe the actual advertised weight difference between the 1190 and S10. Most likely 50lbs except in the brochures.

Offline Rasher

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2016, 02:15:31 pm »
I don't believe the actual advertised weight difference between the 1190 and S10. Most likely 50lbs except in the brochures.

Try pushing an 1190 after the S10 and you would think it is 100kg lighter, I am sure KTM may be a shade economical with the truth, but it feels MUCH lighter when moving it about, and when you look at the bike there is nothing to it compared to the S10, the thing is virtually see through.

Offline Cycledude

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2016, 05:44:37 pm »
A friend recently bought a brandnew 1190R KTM, plans to pick it up next spring, horse power is a really big thing for him and he plans on having a bunch of modifications done before he picks it up, I'm more interested in reliability and the Tenere already has more power than I need, 3-4 of us are planning to ride to Inuvik in 2018 , should be interesting.
2013 Tenere heading for Alaska about May 25th 2016
2002 Honda GL1800, yellow, currently 465,000 smiles

Offline ~TABASCO~

• RIDE ON ADV is what I do !
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 06:44:29 pm »
 I had a past Tenere customer bring me his 'new to him 2K mi' 1190 R... I installed some parts, etc....  He said go ride it..  I don't ride customers bikes... He insisted I do, Ok, so I did................ ( I SHOULD HAVE NOT DONE THAT...   LOL:) 
 When I got back, I wrote a friend about the ride, I told him I three words......HOLY SH&% BALLS...

Its a great bike...  I'm going to take this next year and read all the reviews on the new 1290 SA.  and look to pick up a slightly used 1290 R in a year or so...   The engine and bike geometry are great.  There are pro's and con's to all bikes, this 1190 R was a bad ass bike...

Ill still rep blue, but might turn orange... lol
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:47:02 pm by ~TABASCO~ »
Lowering Links & Rising Links shipping now !

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ride-On-ADV/678244025556248

Shipping HEIDENAU'S... In stock

www.rideonadv.com
2012 Super Tenere - 1"bar riser - motoX grips - ECUnleashed flash - Barnett clutch pressure plate - UNI filter - Air box mod - Akrapovic custom muffler - Arrow headers - PCV&AT - Ohlins suspension front & rear - Trailtech Voyager - Steel braded lines on everything - Ride On skid plate - Carbon fork guards - rear disc gard - rear res guard - WC turn signals - WC headlight guard - ADV tires - WC/ride on graphics - sync TB - Baja Squadrons & S2 - custom dash LED's - Custom light harness - Ride On custom light switch - Keyless gas cap

Offline BWC

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2016, 08:13:32 pm »
Jaxson, say it isn't so. The super tenere may be doomed if you go orange :D
 I did have a good talk with an owner last year about his new 1290.
Very nice bike with all the latest features and power you could want. My first impression is they seem to have "kind" of styled, and featured it very similar to the BMW  GS, which certainly isn't a bad thing. With the 1190 being a bit lighter and slightly more off road oriented. But as a long time Tenere owner I think I'm going to have use my seniority here to make you keep repeating , it has a drive chain, it has a drive chain.............. while looking at the shinny sales brochures. ::025::
Bernie