Author Topic: hard decisions and wildlife….  (Read 783 times)

Offline firus

hard decisions and wildlife….
« on: November 19, 2016, 07:07:56 pm »
well guys….its been a busy year. Have traded in my high mileage fjr (06) in sept for a new Super T… love it and rode it to Arizona and have it there for the winter (cold up here in Saskatchewan). Already have been south for a wk ride and will be back down there for 3 weeks at christmas.  However, 2 wk ago, up here, I centerpunched a deer with my other fjr (a low mileage 06)….looks to be totalled off even though rode it to a stop….deer dead, forks bent, wheel pushed into fairing, guts and blood everywhere…. Now the question, another fjr for up here (would be my 4th)…. or try something different. Been looking at a 15 fj 09 with no miles and bags????? Should I go for it or would that be blasphemy. Still have my 1250 suzuki Bandit as another backup ( great bike but not a Yamaha)  .  Been on 2 wheels for 45 years and and this is my first "major" wildlife episode…not counting the deer I took out with my quad a number of years ago…. :'( ???

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
Re: hard decisions and wildlife….
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 10:56:37 am »
I had similar damage to a Ducati ST2 and found that shopping carefully for plastic and forks allowed me to put the bike back on the street fairly quick.

All depends how mechanical you are and if you are willing to spend the time this way.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Jono49

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 07:28:27 am »
I dread an encounter with a deer, it hasn't happened yet, and prey it never will  ??? sorry to here of your meeting with one.....they can do a lot of damage can't they!
Life is a series of moments.....let your moments be on two wheels

Offline greg the pole

• There are no stupid questions, only stupid people
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 10:16:24 am »
well guys….its been a busy year. Have traded in my high mileage fjr (06) in sept for a new Super T… love it and rode it to Arizona and have it there for the winter (cold up here in Saskatchewan). Already have been south for a wk ride and will be back down there for 3 weeks at christmas.  However, 2 wk ago, up here, I centerpunched a deer with my other fjr (a low mileage 06)….looks to be totalled off even though rode it to a stop….deer dead, forks bent, wheel pushed into fairing, guts and blood everywhere…. Now the question, another fjr for up here (would be my 4th)…. or try something different. Been looking at a 15 fj 09 with no miles and bags????? Should I go for it or would that be blasphemy. Still have my 1250 suzuki Bandit as another backup ( great bike but not a Yamaha)  .  Been on 2 wheels for 45 years and and this is my first "major" wildlife episode…not counting the deer I took out with my quad a number of years ago…. :'( ???

Firsto off, glad you walked away without injury. 

Depends on your needs.  I love my FJ as a second bike to the ST.  Great around town, and eats miles like it's nobody's business.    Much livlier than the FJR and bandit, due to weight.  the new ones have better TC, and a slipper clutch.  Be warned, stock suspension is rubbish.

https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2016/08/30/four-day-blast-on-the-fj09/
It's hard to soar like an eagle, when you're surrounded by turkeys

Bikes current:
2012 ST1200 Do it all..with a couple of mods.
2015 FJ09 Comfortable hooligan
2014 KTM 300 XC Smoker.  Ring a ding ding
...ya owned a few ...FZ07, FZ09, FZ01 1st Gen, ST1300, KLR's, DR650's, DR400, DL1000, TLS, VFR,CBR..