Author Topic: Need advise on upcoming trip to Alaska!  (Read 5375 times)

Offline limey

Re: Need advise on upcoming trip to Alaska!
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2017, 10:24:49 am »
It is possible to get permission to take a handgun into Canada, but getting permission is not easy.  Do not try to sneak in a handgun.  If you get caught it will be a life changing event.

There is no way you will be aloud to bring a hand gun into Canada a shot gun yes as long as you have the right paper work. Or you can send it by mail to a post office in Alaska.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:32:04 am by limey »

Offline OldRider

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2017, 10:37:29 am »
It is possible to get permission to take a handgun into Canada, but getting permission is not easy.  Do not try to sneak in a handgun.  If you get caught it will be a life changing event.

There is no way you will be aloud to bring a hand gun into Canada a shot gun yes as long as you have the right paper work. Or you can send it by mail to a post office in Alaska.

A gun dealer in the lower states can send a pistol to a gun dealer in Alaska, but if you get caught mailing one to yourself, that would still be a life changing event, not legal.

Offline hogmolly

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2017, 03:36:32 pm »
Here is my experience for what it is worth

Dallas, TX to Deadhorse, AK back to Dallas, TX.  The bike was a 2001 GS with Adventure tank (9 gal)

What I learned....

1) Take an extra helmet shield.  Had a truck on the Haul Road split my face shield with a rock
2) Take electric heated gear.  Northwest Canada can be in the 30's during late June.
3) Rear brake pads were toast but yet they started brand new.  Not sure why but got stuck in Prince George waiting on new pads.
4) Needed a rear tire and oil change.  My round trip was 10k miles.
5) You can fuel at Yukon River station and Coldfoot (at least back then).  The last stretch is 240 miles (I seem to remember) so I carried fuel but didn't need it.
6) Late June was rainy.  Lots of mud, bugs, and large mammals.
7) Clean your lights off before leaving Fairbanks on the return trip.  They will be covered in Mosquito blood and figuring that out in the dark with bears around can be scary.
8) Have fun
16 ST, 10 FLHCUSE5, 95 R100GSPD

Offline magic

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2017, 04:01:01 pm »
Would any of you guys know if it would be legal to: Have a dealer in the lower 48 ship my hand gun to a dealer in Alaska. Pick it up at that dealer and posses it while in Alaska. Then ship it back to the dealer in the lower 48? Or, Can a non resident just purchase a hand gun from a dealer in Alaska? Then, when leaving have that dealer ship it to a dealer back home? Thanks

Offline sgt bilco

• Unchained Tours
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2017, 04:21:05 pm »
To the OP, not much more I can add to what has been discussed but I'll add my 2p worth. I've done 6 trips up to Alaska and ridden teh Dalton on each of those trips on my 1200GSA. I'll be taking another group of brits up there again in July this year but this time on my new S10 so will see if it copes half as well as my old GSA.

Anyway, here are a few tips for the Dalton:

• Ride with minimum gear on the bike. I've seen too many people struggling like hell in the gravel and wet mud on grossly overloaded bikes when it's completely avoidable. Take only what you need and leave the rest in Fairbanks.

Camping is hell because of the bastard mossies, so stay in a cabin in Wiseman which is 15 miles north of and half the price of Coldfoot. We run from Wiseman up to Prudhoe and back in a day as there is nothing really to see at the top in my opinion.

Get to Prudhoe before 12 and eat at the Aurora. 5 star food for cafe money.

Fuel in Prudhoe is CC only

Get a big mossie net to go over your helmet for when you stop as the mossies are armed and attack before you stop

The weather can change in a heartbeat so be prepared. Also be prepared to abandon if it gets too bad because it's not worth killing yourself for. 2016 was wall to wall sunshine and the dust was the worst bit. 2013 was like a mud bath with snow on the Atigun in July!

Run with K60's or E07's. I've seen guys on tourances etc and no problem in teh dry but hell on earth in the wet.

The road has improved dramatically over the last few years but can still catch you out so always be on guard and keep speed sensible. The truckers are good guys and will give you room if they see you doing the same. I've spoken to a few of them over the years and what scares them is they aren't sure what bikes are going to do especially in the wet so give them space and let them do their thing.

Gas at Yukon crossing, Coldfoot and Prudhoe.

Make sure you stop at the Hot Spot Cafe about 5 mies north of Yukon Crossing for a great milkshake and huge burger.

When you come off the Dalton, clean your lights and tags as the cops will pull you and fine you.

Dan and Shaun at Adventure Cycle Works will service, change tyres etc but do not go on a Harleyas you will get dogs abuse and Dan will probably shoot it.

In Fairbanks, stay at the University as it's a great place and cheap. You can leave your excess kit there and only take what you need on the Dalton. Sams Sourdough cafe does a great breakfast and there is a great pizza place and bar in the little plaza by the main traffic lights.

If you like a clean bike.....you are going to have to change your attitude!
The main thing is on the Dalton and up in Alaska is don't overthink it and enjoy the trip as it's one you'll never forget.

I know the pic is a GSA but the S10 will be sat there in July :)

Offline sgt bilco

• Unchained Tours
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2017, 04:23:18 pm »
Would any of you guys know if it would be legal to: Have a dealer in the lower 48 ship my hand gun to a dealer in Alaska. Pick it up at that dealer and posses it while in Alaska. Then ship it back to the dealer in the lower 48? Or, Can a non resident just purchase a hand gun from a dealer in Alaska? Then, when leaving have that dealer ship it to a dealer back home? Thanks

Can I ask why you feel the need to take a hand gun?

Offline magic

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2017, 05:49:55 pm »
Bears. I have been to Alaska several times on motorcycle trips and also fishing trips. I usually travel alone on these trips and don't have much faith in the pepper spray. The hand gun topic came up in this discussion, so, I decided to ask the question. A fishing guide told me years ago that on a windy day the pepper spray just seasons the meat.

Offline Pterodactyl

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2017, 07:07:05 pm »
Handguns to Canada.......

I have, and continue to travel in Canada often.  I've taken long guns and shotguns through to Alaska and back a few times.  I too thought handguns were impossible to transport until I met a fellow who has done it four times.  I saw his paperwork and subsequently contacted the RCMP to confirm that it is possible to get permission.  Surprised the hell out of me.
Kevin
Team Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Offline jmcgilroy

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2017, 09:03:40 pm »
https://www.atf.gov/file/61721/download

There has been incorrect information posted here regarding shipping the firearm to yourself in another state. This ATF link covers it.  (and we've probably hi-jacked the thread...sorry for my part in that)

Jim
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:05:35 pm by jmcgilroy »

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2017, 09:14:51 pm »
Bears. I have been to Alaska several times on motorcycle trips and also fishing trips. I usually travel alone on these trips and don't have much faith in the pepper spray. The hand gun topic came up in this discussion, so, I decided to ask the question. A fishing guide told me years ago that on a windy day the pepper spray just seasons the meat.

I grew up around guns and have been in the Alaskan bush a number of times. Ever seen a brown or grip somewhat close? A handgun of almost any caliber will just piss them off and is highly unlikely to mortally wound one fast enough to save your ass, so leave the handgun at home.

When you are trying to move through the bush to take a leak or get to a stream, you won't have time to bring up a weapon. The brush his too dense. If you make a little noise, don't keep food in camp, and leave alone any bears you see, they will leave you alone.  They are always looking for food, so the biggest thing is smells that might bait them in.

FWIW, the Alaska Troopers and Wardens rely first on bear spray but do carry 12 gauge pumps with 3" slugs. The thing nobody acknowledges is their training to use the pump is FAR more important than the weapon. They need to stand while a target charges AT them and put all slugs in a small circle before it hit them. It's SUPER impressive.

Note that the weapons on the packs are NOT handguns!

Look at how thick the foliage is. You'll have no time to draw a weapon.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline limey

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2017, 09:32:39 pm »
Handguns to Canada.......

I have, and continue to travel in Canada often.  I've taken long guns and shotguns through to Alaska and back a few times.  I too thought handguns were impossible to transport until I met a fellow who has done it four times.  I saw his paperwork and subsequently contacted the RCMP to confirm that it is possible to get permission.  Surprised the hell out of me.
I live in Canada and the wife and own hand guns and the only way I can transport my hand gun is with a ATT ( authorization to transport) and that is issued by the CFO ( Chief Firearms Officer) and the ATT is only good for transporting to the gun to the club or a gunsmith. I just find it highly unlikely you will be aloud to transport through Canada. And if you did the hand gun has to be trigger locked and in a secure locked container. Shot gun no problem.

Offline Tenerester

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2017, 10:20:43 pm »
Thanks for the advise - please see my comments in italics.

Here is my experience for what it is worth

Dallas, TX to Deadhorse, AK back to Dallas, TX.  The bike was a 2001 GS with Adventure tank (9 gal)

What I learned....

1) Take an extra helmet shield.  Had a truck on the Haul Road split my face shield with a rock - never heard of this before. Noted. [/i]
2) Take electric heated gear.  Northwest Canada can be in the 30's during late June. - got one
3) Rear brake pads were toast but yet they started brand new.  Not sure why but got stuck in Prince George waiting on new pads. - carrying a set with me
4) Needed a rear tire and oil change.  My round trip was 10k miles. - Oil change in the plan at Anchorage
5) You can fuel at Yukon River station and Coldfoot (at least back then).  The last stretch is 240 miles (I seem to remember) so I carried fuel but didn't need it. - heard this a lot
6) Late June was rainy.  Lots of mud, bugs, and large mammals. - some have had dry weather during the same period. So hoping the best
7) Clean your lights off before leaving Fairbanks on the return trip.  They will be covered in Mosquito blood and figuring that out in the dark with bears around can be scary. - noted
8) Have fun - that's the plan
[/quot
Current:
2014 Super Tenere ES - Matte Grey
2016 Ducati Panigale 959 - Red
History:
2014 BMW R1200RT - Quartz Blue
2012 BMW F650GS (800cc) Twin - White Aluminium
2009 Suzuki DR650SE - Black 
2005 Suzuki GS500F

Offline Pterodactyl

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2017, 10:51:37 pm »
Advice I heard a longtime hunting guide give to a Captain that worked for me.  The Captain had just bought a .44 Mag pistol for bear protection.  The guide said he should file off the front sight so that it wouldn't hurt as badly when the bear shoved the pistol up his arse.

I carried every now and then when I lived in Alaska, but it's not worth the hassle of shipping, etc.  Get some bear spray, keep it handy and know how to use it quickly.
Kevin
Team Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Offline OldRider

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2017, 12:30:49 am »
https://www.atf.gov/file/61721/download

There has been incorrect information posted here regarding shipping the firearm to yourself in another state. This ATF link covers it.  (and we've probably hi-jacked the thread...sorry for my part in that)

Jim

Since I'm the only one that said anything about shipping a gun, I think you're referring to me.

I stand by what I said which was, a gun dealer can ship to another gun dealer in another state and no you can not mail a handgun to yourself in another state. Both are true facts. Mail is the key word there.

Federal law allows you ship a handgun to yourself by way of common carrier (UPS or Fedex). That sounds good until you realize neither UPS or Fedex will allow you to do it. It's against their rules. You can ship it to a licensed dealer, but not to yourself. So no, you can't send your pistol to yourself in another state, legally.

Shotguns and rifles have different rules, but since we're talking about carrying on a motorcycle, I would think handguns are the subject.

Offline jmcgilroy

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2017, 01:48:06 am »
Ok, I'll just go piss up a tree ...