Author Topic: Throttle Body Sync with Harmonizer sync tool  (Read 6900 times)

Offline SpeedStar

• XT12 and DL650
Throttle Body Sync with Harmonizer sync tool
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:45:20 pm »
I decided to order the Harmonizer Sync Tool to replace my trusty homemade manometer that I have used for years.  I had just done a sync using my manometer a few days ago so this was a nice test to see the accuracy of that unit compared to the Harmonizer.

I will assume that you know the process for a TBS.  If not, the steps are outlined in the service manual and are pretty straightforward. 

Using the pigtails that I mentioned in the TBS / Airscrew thread that is stickied in the Technical area, I was able to hook up the Harmonizer without even having to lift the tank or remove the side panels. 

Here is a link to that thread if you have not already seen it:
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1973.0

I just pull the tube on the left side and the cap on the right side and with long needle-noce pliers, connect the pigtails to the ports.

I ran the bike up to 140F before making these connections and then turned it off for the next steps.

The Harmonizer has two ports on the bottom and two 5/32 ID rubber tubes with connectors at one end.  Place the connector end of the tubes on the Harmonizer ports and the other ends of the tubes to the pigtails.

Next, with the bike off, press the red button on the Harmonizer and it goes into calibration mode.  It will then tell you to start the bike.

Here it is after calibration.

As I mentioned, I had synced a few days ago with my manometer.  It was off by .006 m/bar according to the Harmonizer.

Now, here is a nice trick to make adjustments to the airscrews without having to lift the tank.  I found this small screwdriver set with flexible attachment at Harbor Frieght.  It allows me to make the adjustment without lifting the tank.

This is how it was setup for the adjustment.

To get to the perfect setup, I had to open the left airscrew approximately 1/10 of a turn to go from .006m/bar to .000m/bar.  Keep in mind, even at .006m/bar, I still had the happy face on the Hartmonizer so this is a small adjustment.
Here is after the adjustment.

I am very impressed with the ease of use of the Harmonizer and the ability to check the sync with the setup that I have described here and in the other thread.  Give this a shot, as it is easy to do and makes a huge difference if your bike is in need of the adjustment.

Devin  -  Raven XT12
:exclaim:  FS: Check out my SUPER TENERE GUARDS in Vendors:  :exclaim:

Gas Tank Side Panel guards, Rear Tank Guards, Fork Tube Guards, Headlight Masks and Exhaust Shield Masks.
Click here:
 ::022:: http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1697.0

Offline ~TABASCO~

• RIDE ON ADV is what I do !
Re: Throttle Body Sync with Harmonizer sync tool
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:16:13 pm »
NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!    ::008::
Shipping Lowering Links... In stock

Shipping HEIDENAU'S... In stock

www.rideonadv.com
2012 Super Tenere - 1"bar riser - motoX grips - ECUnleashed flash - Barnett clutch pressure plate - UNI filter - Air box mod - Akrapovic custom muffler - Arrow headers - PCV&AT - Ohlins suspension front & rear - Trailtech Voyager - Steel braded lines on everything - Ride On skid plate - Carbon fork guards - rear disc gard - rear res guard - WC turn signals - WC headlight guard - ADV tires - WC/ride on graphics - sync TB - Baja Squadrons & S2 - custom dash LED's - Custom light harness - Ride On custom light switch - Keyless gas cap - Pivot pegz - 2014 clutch & CCT - Carbon headlight bezel - WC frame guards - Mini rear fender -

Offline tomatocity

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:39:34 am »
The Harmonizer makes syncing the TBs as easy as it can be. Mark came over yesterday and we setup the pigtails and sync'd the TBs. simple setup and inexpensive. The Harmonizer is priced well and will be in my toolbox for years to come.

Note: the Harmonizer can go camping with you. Look at Speed's photo. On the right side there is an LED and it can be used as a flashlight or beacon to find your tent.  :lamp:
Tim
Yamaha Super Tenere XTZ12B(C) Impact Blue, #027, 7/30/2011
2005 KLR685

Offline ColoRider

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 09:01:27 am »
Nice Devin!!!!   I'll try to get to an automotive store today to pick up the items for the pigtails and dig into mine shortly!!   Thanks for the great write-up and photos!!

Rod
Rod ~ Die Hard

'12 XTZ12BL (GBNF)

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come

Offline martinh

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 04:17:25 pm »
How many hookup does it have? can you use this for quad carb bike? looks like it is a really nice tool to have.
aka: The SSYSO Recruiter
2012 Super Tenere Fast Blue One
2011 Versys Red Sold
06 DL1000 Red Sold
05 XR650L Sold
1978 TS 250 Sold

Offline SpeedStar

• XT12 and DL650
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 05:48:39 pm »
It has two ports. It is set up for a twin. They are talking about doing one for a four cylinder.
I guess you can do a four with this one by syncing A to B, A to C and A to D. Somebody posted that on AdvRider.
Devin  -  Raven XT12
:exclaim:  FS: Check out my SUPER TENERE GUARDS in Vendors:  :exclaim:

Gas Tank Side Panel guards, Rear Tank Guards, Fork Tube Guards, Headlight Masks and Exhaust Shield Masks.
Click here:
 ::022:: http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1697.0

Offline Boondocker

• Uncommonly Sensible
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 03:41:07 pm »
Devin,

Do you use the hoses supplied with the Harmonizer or is another size required? I just received my Harmonizer and have yet to attempt the TBS. I have read the large "Airscrew Adjustment.." thread and need to go back and pull out facts, hints and tips.

Thanks,
Neil
Current bikes: 2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré, '08 Yamaha WR250R
Previous bikes: '04 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, '92 Yamaha VMax, '83 Honda XL650R

Offline tomatocity

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 04:23:43 am »
Devin,

Do you use the hoses supplied with the Harmonizer or is another size required? I just received my Harmonizer and have yet to attempt the TBS. I have read the large "Airscrew Adjustment.." thread and need to go back and pull out facts, hints and tips.

Thanks,
Neil

I used the provided hose though purchased a smaller ID hose and adapted it to the provided hose with brass connectors. Make the total length of the hoses the same.

Do yourself a favor and check how many turns the Airscrew is set at before you reset it. Might help with with future considerations.
Tim
Yamaha Super Tenere XTZ12B(C) Impact Blue, #027, 7/30/2011
2005 KLR685

Offline DuMar

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 12:10:19 pm »
I decided to order the Harmonizer Sync Tool to replace my trusty homemade manometer that I have used for years. 

I am very impressed with the ease of use of the Harmonizer and the ability to check the sync with the setup that I have described here and in the other thread.  Give this a shot, as it is easy to do and makes a huge difference if your bike is in need of the adjustment.

Hey Devin,

Where are we ordering these units from? Is there a web site?

Thanks,
Mike
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Offline japako

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 06:52:01 pm »
Hey Devin,

Where are we ordering these units from? Is there a web site?

Thanks,
Mike

Look here,
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701625
Jim

2012  Blue Super Tenere  Sold
2011  WR250R

www.rideonadv.com

Offline Kevhunts

• "For every one you see, you probably missed three"
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 10:33:02 pm »
Just got my Harmonizer tool in the mail today. Was shipped fast! ::008::
I hope to try it out this weekend if I don't have to work. :'(
The act of riding is a form of meditation, because the concentration that's required to safely ride a motorcycle tends to focus the mind in a way that eliminates other mental distractions that might interfere with the mission.

Offline DuMar

"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Offline japako

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 08:29:44 am »
Thanks, Jim.

It's on its way.

Mike

Good to hear that.. You will really like dealing with Grok, and the shipping is fast. I had a problem with the first one I purchased,  he sent a new one that day, and let me ship the old one back in the same box..
The new one has worked great..
Jim

2012  Blue Super Tenere  Sold
2011  WR250R

www.rideonadv.com

Offline Buffel

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 07:34:07 am »
I have orderd mine today. Can't wait..... ( Ps= thanks for all the info !!!! ) ::008::
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere ( 2010 ).

Offline JamesK

• Got to Ride
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 12:13:34 am »
Just for anyone looking for this set here is the part number:
33 Piece Precision Screwdriver Set
Pittsburgh
Item #:93916
http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piece-precision-screwdriver-set-93916.html

Also available from Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Screwdriver-Bit-Set-T20/dp/B001PB5S9Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=7Q7WR0FIZCHB&coliid=I2IX10YCB69RJR
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:15:12 am by JamesK »
"Dirty bikes are like dirty girls......they are the most fun and have the best stories"
"There is no replacement for displacement"