Author Topic: Not Feeling This Bike (Yet)  (Read 5831 times)

Offline Jim

Re: Not Feeling This Bike (Yet)
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 09:14:27 am »
Haha! I think you'll have to compare the bike with more present day rides, unless you wan't to go back to an R90.  You can't hardly escape the added plastic no matter which way brand you turn to.  As far as 'Clunky' goes, I'm not quite sure of what you're referring to, but everybody has their own frame of reference...and 'vibey?' are you referring to what's felt while accelering around 3000 RPM? The cooling fan sure does sound like a distant siren...I'll agree with you on that  :D  If you don't like the styling and some of the sounds, that's not a particulary good start, but do give the bike a fair shake by taking it out of your neighborhood and up-to-speed on a broad range of roads. If you don't like it then, I don't know what to say...chalk it up to different a taste in bikes. You may be more suited to a bike that has a more narrowly focused purpose instead of a 'jack of all trades;master of none'   

All I  know is that from my perspective this bike impresses me more each time I ride it. The ride out of the dealer's lot was kinda so-so though for me though, so maybe the S10 will grow on you as well. I'm already convinced after about 600Km of combined City, Mountain amd Highway riding that this is the bike for me. If I had only a single word to describe it, I would say 'unflappable.'  It pretty much takes anything you throw at it in stride..very stable and agile for it's size, and, again from my perspective, smooth and comfortable with plenty of 'stank' when you need it (TCS-2 and S mode)  8).   

You can't feel any of that while 'puttering around the neighborhood.' ::008::
Yea man, you're right. It's kind of like what slipangle said though. The initial shock of all that plastic when you first see the bike in person does not give an impression of quality. Hopefully, when I'm able to get her on the road, I'll forget all about first impressions. Thankyou good gentlemen on this site for the encouragement.
first and last bike was in 1975: 1975 BMW900 tourer. Sure was in love with her. Hope it will be rekindled with my ordered ST in sexy blue.

Offline Jim

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 09:21:15 am »
And, ladies too (if you read this, pardon me Katherine and other ladies).
first and last bike was in 1975: 1975 BMW900 tourer. Sure was in love with her. Hope it will be rekindled with my ordered ST in sexy blue.

Offline 20valves

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 10:03:17 am »
Keep ridin' Jim. Sometimes the best bikes don't sweep you off your feet right away. I've got about 1,000 miles on mine and am really appreciating how well it does so many things. The engine does do a bit of noisy hammering and what not but I ride with ear plugs on longer trips and without the noise, it's really a very useful spread of power, imho.

This one's really growing on me. I'm off on a pretty good trip next week and I hope I like it even more after that.
Raven Black Super Ten
'14 KTM 500 EXC
'13 FJR, '06 R1 LE
'09 T Max

Offline switchback

• One bike is never enough!
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 11:13:04 am »
Jim,

I completely understand where you are coming from.  I only have 150 miles on the bike so far after a month (new baby) and haven't gotten the feel for it yet.  I expect everything will work out for the best but the bike doesn't have the character or eagerness that my 99 Tiger had and that has caused me to reconsider selling the Multistrada which is admittedly much more sport than I need (chassis wise).  I do appreciate the bike's balance, the tractor like low end, and the ergonomics in general.  I find the build quality as good as anything and think your impressions of the plastics are just the way things are these days.  I personally would like a scrambler like the Moto Morini (that is a thing of the past I think?) with minimal bodywork.  Traction control, ABS, and FI make riding safer and more dependable but they also can insulate us from some of the excitement that is motorcycling.  As for vibes and seat angles they are not an issue here.  My Tenere is as smooth as any bike I had and the seat, while a bit of a marshmallow with a too grippy skin is not bothering me much.  Is this or any other bike perfect, No.  Will I spend too much customizing the bike for me, yes.  I look forward to getting to know her.   
::021::
Cheers,

David
Current:  2012 Super Ténéré,  2007 Ducati MTS 1100DS, 2003 WR450F
Past:  2007 DR650, 1999 Triumph Tiger, 1989 CR500 (Rick Johnson's), 1986 TT350, 1985 ZX750 Turbo, 1984 IT200, 1980 MX175

Offline troll

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 11:16:44 am »
I think you should sell the S10 and look for a 1975 BMW R90. You would be money ahead and would be happier.

I'm with fredz on this one - if it doesn't blow your skirt up, put it up for sale. We all enjoy things differently, if you have been away from motorsyckles for awhile you might have to kiss a few frogs before you find your princess. ::021:: ::021:: IMHO this bike rocks and has awesome fit and finish ::26::
2012 Raven XTZ12BB - #016
2013 Yamaha TW200

Offline Rynn Storm

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 12:39:22 pm »
Cannot get out on the road yet with this bike because of finances so, just puttering around the neighborhood. Trying to get a feel for it. What's all the excitement about? It is "vibey", acres of plastic (my 1975 BMW never had it), and it is a noisey thing when that radiator fan kicks in. I'm a punchy, 59 yr old beer guzzler but, I do recall this much. That 1975 BMW 900, was smoother, just as quick, and most of all handled like a 350. I'm not so old and punchy to remember this. Maybe it will change. There must be something to it. You guys sure do love this bike.

Frankly, I didn't care too much my ST10 initially.   With almost 600 miles on it now, it (the engine and riding) just gets better everyday.   I was surprised how nice it rides on the highway (engine real smooth in 6th gear) and too easy to go fast.    Would I buy it just for local roads?   Nope, a 250 is better for that.   But for my target goal of long distance "adventure" riding (including real dirt), I'm happy with the bike and would buy it again.     Btw, I do commute to work on it.    On a previous Ducati, it wasn't until some 3000 miles before the engine was really purring.
Rynn

2012 Yamaha XT12Z Super Tenere, Fast Blue

Offline SisuTen

• Potius mori quam foedari
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 01:01:54 pm »
Hello Jim,

We have something in common.  I had a 10 year pause in motorcycling, and also found myself having a hard time getting to like my S10.  My previous experiences were a little sportier in flavor, with a majority of my miles being on a SV650S and a XX1100. 

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I signed on for the S10.  Maybe I watched the Long Way Round / Down too many times.  My previous dirt experience consisted of riding 3 wheelers as a kid, which likely doesn't translate too well.  I'm a little wary about trying that out.  We'll see.

Some initial  observations:   I couldn't believe how uncomfortable I was on the bike.  With the comparatively relaxed ergonomics, I figured that the S10 would be a 2 wheeled sofa.  Not at all.  The suspension felt stiff.  My hands felt like they were falling asleep.  The seat was hard and angled down, pulling the groin of my pants into my junk.  My neck hurt.  I'm a big guy, but I found the weight and handling ponderous.  I couldn't gel with the throttle.  Touring mode was too slow, and Sport was hard to modulate.  In sum, I was questioning my decision.

I've now put around 400 miles on it.  Mostly commuting to work, but have managed to slip away for a couple of joy rides, and am getting along with the bike a lot better.  I think a lot of my initial discomfort was from me not riding for so long;  tension from inexperience was messing with my posture on the bike.  I also found myself leaning into the bars too much, trying to get into the old familiar sportbike mode.  My groin is still smashed as I haven't performed the seat mod, but numbness is setting in, allowing me to overlook that.   The ponderous feeling has also improved with my being more relaxed on the bike.  I still feel a little wobly sometimes, but can pull off slow speed turns I'd never have attempted on the sportbikes.  Not that they weren't possible with a better rider...  The suspension seems to have loosened up, and I look forward to more compliance as the miles increase.   I finally opened the throttle fully a few times, although I'm still keeping the rpms below 4000 for the break-in.  It wasn't bad, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what the upper 4000 has in store.  I'm still on the fence regarding the throttle.  I'll try the air screw and CO adjustments to see if that cleans it up.

I agree about the build quality / plasticy feel.  Sadly, I think that's just the new manufacturing reality, with everything being so squeezed for profit.  If you want a quality feel, you're either buying something old and dealing with the headaches that old things entail, or ponying up some serious bucks for the premium brand.  JMHO.

I look forward to your observations after you get a few more miles on yours.  Hopefully it will grow on you as well.

Welcome Aboard!

Great post and does explain why a lot of people used to street bikes may have a little trouble getting used to and learning how this bike works.

In my case, I come from the opposite direction, the dirt and specifically trials. There is NO comparison between an OSSA Mick Andrews replica and riding a 400 lb street bike. As a result I wanted a street bike that could do some of the things I was used to. The quest went on for a long time and the BMW did little for me. Recently I had a VFR, a Versys (which I liked a LOT) and when the S-Ten came along I went out on a limb and ordered it.

A long story, short. I have about 400 miles on the bike and it's loosened up, quieted down and once I got up on the pegs, I found it to have excellent balance in view of the weight. It's certainly not a trials machine, but standing up, it seems weightless. The bike moves well beneath you and once you understand the way it balances, you'll love it. Learn to unweight the saddle a little on rough terrain and the ponderous feel will disappear. Once your body weight is on the pegs and not the seat, the center of gravity drops and the bike lightens up. It's stable at speed and the stock screen works well for me. I ran it up to 110 with my face shield open and had no buffeting or turbulence. The bike corners well, not like a sportbike, but more like my old XL600. It leans in deep and takes a line without any effort or additional input. Carves is what I'd call the cornering sensation.

I can understand why people do not like plastic much and feel it cheapens the bike. The fact is, plastic can accomplish a number of design issues and complexities better than other materials, cuts labor cost and saves a tremendous amount of weight. At least the bike has a steel fuel tank, eh?

Ergonomics are very dirt oriented. I like that and find I get up on the tank like I used to on my other dirt machines in the past (my wife ends up with acres of room out back). I tend to get my arms up and out. I also used to get the equipment in a bunch, but have taken to a pair of nylon bicycle shorts and it helps a lot. I'm going to give the saddle a little time to get used to my ass and see where that takes us. Also, learn to loosen up on the grip, the numbness in the hands will go away.

In slow turns, trail brake the rear while you add a little throttle and you'll stabilize the bike a little better and it won't feel so wobbly.

Glad to see you've taken an analytical approach. You'll likely come to love the bike. Let us know what you find out.

Paul
2012 RAVEN Yamaha XT1200Z SuperTénéré

If you don't have "BLACK", you don't have "JACK"  ::001::

Offline jaquima

• Live young, die fast, wear clean underwear.
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 11:32:11 am »
You can't ride it because of finances?   Really?  You bought a new bike but can't ride it yet?  If you are having trouble with your finances, maybe a new bike is not in your cards?  Maybe a solid, smooth older bike would be better at this time.

Not every bike is a perfect match for every person.....maybe the S10 doesn't "feel" you either.
2012 Super Tenere (Blue)

Offline motocephalic

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 03:38:30 pm »
Hey Jim, I know how you feel.  I was a little unsure when I first bought it.  But as soon as I ride something else and get back on the Tenere, I can  feel how really nice this bike is.    I took a friends R100 out last night, he thought it was the balls, I kept it too myself.  The Tenere is a great bike, and I am sure that I will like it more with time.   It has a bunch of tractoresque qualities, which are growing on me.  I never had a bike grunt so much.  I am used to really hearing the motor rev, but not so on this beast.   I am changing the things that I feel will make it mine, and fit me perfectly, and when I do that, makes me like it even more.  Give me about 5k with it and I am sure to have a solid fix on it then.
Clem

Offline Jim

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 11:26:36 pm »
Hey Jim, I know how you feel.  I was a little unsure when I first bought it.  But as soon as I ride something else and get back on the Tenere, I can  feel how really nice this bike is.    I took a friends R100 out last night, he thought it was the balls, I kept it too myself.  The Tenere is a great bike, and I am sure that I will like it more with time.   It has a bunch of tractoresque qualities, which are growing on me.  I never had a bike grunt so much.  I am used to really hearing the motor rev, but not so on this beast.   I am changing the things that I feel will make it mine, and fit me perfectly, and when I do that, makes me like it even more.  Give me about 5k with it and I am sure to have a solid fix on it then.
Hi Clem,
                         My wife has been following me to a huge abandoned parking area the past couple of days where I can at least do a little with the bike and you know, you guys are right. She really does grow on you fast. Can't wait to legally get her on the road. As for the chump Jaquiem above who sounds like he has everything and everybody figured out in life, we were hit with some unanticipated costs in helping our granddaughter which has delayed me being able to afford the tax, tag, and endorsement fee on my license (if its any of your damn business). Anyway, thanks to others for the encouragement.

Offline Twitch

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 07:51:58 am »
Hey Jim. If you’ve got all that stuff tied down by the end of the month, we’ll swing over that way and pick you up on the way to Barber for Vintage Festival Weekend (CLICK).

Motorcycling isn’t just about big-blue sitting in my garage. It’s also about going places, seeing new things, meeting new people and having fun. I’ll bet if you can get out on some fun trips you’ll forget about all the bike's little quirks in quick order.  ::012::

Offline jaquima

• Live young, die fast, wear clean underwear.
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2011, 09:42:19 am »
Hi Clem,
                         My wife has been following me to a huge abandoned parking area the past couple of days where I can at least do a little with the bike and you know, you guys are right. She really does grow on you fast. Can't wait to legally get her on the road. As for the chump Jaquiem above who sounds like he has everything and everybody figured out in life, we were hit with some unanticipated costs in helping our granddaughter which has delayed me being able to afford the tax, tag, and endorsement fee on my license (if its any of your damn business). Anyway, thanks to others for the encouragement.

I haven't recieved the brunt of name calling in a while.  I do not have everything figured out but I have earned everything I own (which is not much compared to others).  I am sick of pepole who lived outside of their means and had evey concievable toy only to be bailed out later during the economy.  Therefore, when people describe financial problems revolving around around a toy, I cry bullshit.  This bike is my first (and probably only) new bike.  Prior to my S10, I rode a 30 yr old Honda I saved and ressurected.  I also cry bullshit on your ride around the block assessment.  Why would you spend that much money on a bike you were not sure about?

Your granddaughter is fortunate to have a financial safet net and I hope she appreciated the sacrafice.   I hope you resolve your issues and ride the bike the way it is designed to be ridden.  I do not recall ever being called a chump.....I shall add that to my list.
2012 Super Tenere (Blue)

Offline ColoRider

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 09:45:05 am »
Time for less name calling and more riding folks.....

Rod ~ Die Hard

'15 XTZ12EF (GBNF)
'12 XTZ12BL (GBNF)

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come

My SPOT

Offline Jakeboy

• What a long, strange trip it's been.
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 11:03:14 am »
I've only got 1200 miles on mine and the difference in smoothness from new is quite noticeable.  All those parts in there spinning around and slamming up and down have to get to know one another.   After all, they just met a couple of months ago....    ::003::
Dave

I'll run and get the beer if you pay for it.

Offline limey

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2011, 12:59:31 pm »
Time for less name calling and more riding folks.....

::026::