Poll

So now you've got one how well does it stack up?

It surpasses my expectations
552 (56.2%)
It's exactley what I thought it would be
368 (37.5%)
It's not quite what I thought it would be
57 (5.8%)
It's nothing like I thought it would be
5 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 976

Author Topic: What do we now think of the bike  (Read 83056 times)

Offline Crazy legs

• ATGATT "Let's Ride"
Re: What do we now think of the bike
« Reply #240 on: August 12, 2016, 11:23:01 pm »
Hello All,
    I am looking a getting a new ride. Like most of you I too have had several different brands and have surpassed 300K miles. I now own a like new 2009 FJR 1300 with 8,000 miles on it. Its great, it's perfect, it runs like a top and looks like it is new with all three hard cases. But I want something different and thought I would go with the Super Ten ES. The dealer is offering 5 grand :(. I was looking at KTM, the famous GS or GSA but they are proud of them. I have owned a few Yamaha's and they have never let me down. You FJR owners out there, was it worth the difference in changing hte FJR for the Super Tenere? I am sixty years young. I am not a knee dragger. I am wanting my next bike to last a while. Keep the FJR or Trade for the ST?

Thanks for your help.

Offline retiredusaf

« Reply #241 on: August 15, 2016, 08:09:05 pm »
I've had my 2014ES for 2 years. Its done me right so far. I've done several long distance trips with it. It performs well and has not let me down
2017 Yamaha FZ10
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2012 Yamaha Star Stryker

YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC89LJ6oNQg1wIpLpNVczvkQ

Offline AVGeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: August 16, 2016, 10:58:43 am »
Hello All,
    I am looking a getting a new ride. Like most of you I too have had several different brands and have surpassed 300K miles. I now own a like new 2009 FJR 1300 with 8,000 miles on it. Its great, it's perfect, it runs like a top and looks like it is new with all three hard cases. But I want something different and thought I would go with the Super Ten ES. The dealer is offering 5 grand :(. I was looking at KTM, the famous GS or GSA but they are proud of them. I have owned a few Yamaha's and they have never let me down. You FJR owners out there, was it worth the difference in changing hte FJR for the Super Tenere? I am sixty years young. I am not a knee dragger. I am wanting my next bike to last a while. Keep the FJR or Trade for the ST?

Thanks for your help.

I had both the Gen 1 (04) and Gen 2 (08) FJRs.  I still had the 08 when I picked up my 2012 ST, and it sat a lot...and this was when I was commuting exclusively on 2 wheels!  I eventually let the 08 go, and while I still occasionally miss the power plant, the ST is so much more comfortable that it really isn't an issue.
IBA# 54462

Offline Freebooter

« Reply #243 on: August 16, 2016, 06:34:02 pm »
I am 61 too. I bought my 2015 SupTen in December and only have not quite 3000 miles on it. I don't ride much, plus living in south Alabama I nearly had a frigging heat stroke a few weeks ago. So I hybernate in summer. 

I was trying to sell it, hust assume the loan,  but no luck. Just owe too much on it.
Freebooter, Alabama

Offline ADKsuper10

« Reply #244 on: August 16, 2016, 06:59:25 pm »
Freebooter - I have the non-ES 2015 Super Ten in the same color. I love it.

I Have put 1500 miles on it since the beginning of July when I bought it.

I have owned several Japanese bikes in the past - Suzuki GS850, Honda VFR750, and a KLR. I even briefly had a HD Sporster.

The S10 is the best bike I have ever owned. The ergos are pretty darn good for my frame (I'm 6' 3") with stock components and I haven't altered anything yet. I am tickled to have fuel injection (no more choke!!) and shaft drive (no more chain!!).

I love the engineering on these bikes. I have a good friend who has owned a GS for awhile and I considered buying one.  Lack of dealership support in my area and purchase price was the deal breaker for me. Maybe someday, however, as I do love the looks of the GS and watch Long Way Round about twice a year. Maybe someday I'll get to ride a GS so I can compare the two.

Watching and reading about what Nick Sanders did on the S10 on his Incredible Ride is what solidified my decision. Especially when I watched the youtube video about what they found when they opened up the engine on his S10 afterward.....nothing wrong at all.  ::021::

Offline Freebooter

« Reply #245 on: August 16, 2016, 07:32:13 pm »
Yep, I love mine too. I am strictly asphalt and care nothing f dirt. I got me a Puig windshield and now no more head buffeting by the wind.

Offline ADKsuper10

« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2016, 08:05:28 pm »
Stll loving it after the first almost 2,000 miles. Parked it today when i got home and smiled looking at it for a moment before I went inside.

73mph on the highway today on way home for a bit, which I don't do often Because prefer back roads, and the old boy handled like a dream with the cruise control set. Could chew up some serious miles that way.... but oh so boring!
 ::26::

Online Aragorn

• "Not properly socialized"
« Reply #247 on: September 11, 2016, 07:02:43 pm »
Hello All,

Thanks for your help.

I would have kept my 2013 FJR if my 60 year old knees would have allowed it. I loved that bike and still miss the smoothness and power of that inline 4.  But I traded it in for my 2015 Super Tenere last April. The legroom on the ST is better, and it IS a Yamaha, so the quality, reliability, and overall goodness is there, plus I can explore a backroad when I take a notion. That Fjr was probably going to get me in trouble, anyway!

::022::
I think a bit of skulduggery would do you good, take your mind off this "pain" business.

Offline jackintherok

« Reply #248 on: September 13, 2016, 06:42:43 am »
Not the fastest or most nimble, and nowhere near the best offroad,  but among its class probably the most reliable, and as an all-round go anywhere put up a credible performance bike ... she's not too bad at all.

Offline FJR1300i

« Reply #249 on: September 13, 2016, 04:18:51 pm »
It's interesting to hear so many people comparing the FJR to S10! I am a high millage rider covering around 20,000 miles a year commuting and touring.

I am on my 8th FJR (2016) and my second S10 (2013) and I can't decide which I prefer, thy are both superb bikes. 

If I had to choose I'd say the FJR is a better commuter and the S10 is a better tourer which seems back to front!

Obviously I'm not normal as I never even considered a BMW!

Online Aragorn

• "Not properly socialized"
« Reply #250 on: September 19, 2016, 10:06:26 pm »
What I now think of the bike:
An excellent all-rounder! Loving the shaft drive, the cruise control, the legroom, can do touring on slab but still works well on gravel/off road. Plus Yamaha reliability.
Now the quibbles:
1) I've read some reasoning on why the ST doesn't have a full time gear indicator like the FJR (less parts to malfunction), but the FJR full-time gear indicator seems to be very reliable, why can't we have one like that on the ST?
B) Although the throttle has smoothed out some, its still snatchy in the lower gears, and the on/off/on throttle is troublesome. I never had any throttle issues on my FJR, it was very smooth, so I know Yamaha can sort this out. The aftermarket has ECU flashes that fix this, but it should come from the factory with a well sorted throttle map, I shouldn't have to pay extra for it.
Like I said, quibbles.  I still haven't found any bike I like better.
 ::022::
I think a bit of skulduggery would do you good, take your mind off this "pain" business.

Offline Jeff M

« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2016, 11:11:58 pm »
I came off of the Yamaha Raider 19oocc cruiser which I enjoyed but it was time change so the S10 got me hooked . Ive got 3400 on the clock ( just breaking in ) and love it , kinda reminds me of my old 1972 DT 360 Endro but a bit heaver, well a lot . The s10 can do about any thing you want to do on a heaver bike like this , messing around out on HY 27 I hit 100 + just to see how it handled , It groaned a little but very smooth . I use S mode most of the time and lesion to the engine to shift as I do look at the gear Indicator now and then making sure I'am in 6 th gear . Glen is just about done with his trip 23000 miles ,4 corners of the US and his s10 keeps cursing.  Love the bike .

Offline Tenerester

« Reply #252 on: October 23, 2016, 10:32:21 pm »
Have had my 2014 S10ES for over 2 years with 47,000kms on it. Have been using it for multi week trips, multi day trips, day trips and daily commute. I am having a blast and have had zero issues. My first visit to the dealership since the purchase was this summer for the 42,000 kms valve check. Enough said..!  ::022::
Current:
2014 Super Tenere ES - Matte Grey
2016 Ducati Panigale 959 - Red
History:
2014 BMW R1200RT - Quartz Blue
2012 BMW F650GS (800cc) Twin - White Aluminium
2009 Suzuki DR650SE - Black 

Offline RED CAT

« Reply #253 on: October 23, 2016, 11:07:41 pm »
Haven't spent much time on an FJR but I nearly dropped one in the parking lot trying to get it up on the center stand. Man, are those things Top Heavy compared to my S10. Great way to see how Top Heavy a bike is just by lifting it off the side stand. Another Top Heavy bike is the Triumph 1200 Explorer.
Even the Triumph 800s are Top Heavy.

Offline No.10

« Reply #254 on: October 30, 2016, 05:17:01 am »
zero issues.
https://vimeo.com/189498057

Hi, just sharing this issue i have with the bike. Pole light on with ignition on, pole light off, one headlight on when engine starts. Also, electrical stays on with ignition off, whole bike shuts down with ignition off and pressing the start button.

I checked connections and changed every fuse to fresh ones few weeks back but now same thing is happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk