Poll

So now you've got one how well does it stack up?

It surpasses my expectations
548 (56.3%)
It's exactley what I thought it would be
364 (37.4%)
It's not quite what I thought it would be
57 (5.9%)
It's nothing like I thought it would be
5 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 968

Author Topic: What do we now think of the bike  (Read 80132 times)

Offline yamajamr

Re: What do we now think of the bike
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 08:24:15 am »
   i've had a lot of different motorcycles over the years and after a year or so something else catches my eye and i switch.I kept a klr650 for a long time as a second bikeand wound up with 40000 trouble free miles.I've now had the 2012 tenere for a while and don't even seem to care about looking anymore...its everything i was looking for and then some.....kind of like a klr on steroids.i've since sold the klr and find the tenere suits all my needs and makes a great touring bike to boot! The added bonus has been hearing so much about its reliability!

Offline MotoJunky

• Who's looking for an adventure?
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 07:25:29 pm »
Being new to adventure riding, I really wasn't sure what I was getting myself into or if I made a good choice based on previous reviews available on the large adventure bike class. 

The more I read about and ride my s10 es, the more I'm looking less at the other bikes in the garage. I'm finding more and more reasons to ride it over taking the truck.  Yes its hot, yes it will get hotter.  I'll just shift my commute/adventure riding times accordingly. 
Current rides: 2014 Super Tenere ES

Offline Clevermonkey

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 01:11:02 pm »
 ::022::

Motor torque
Handling
The fact I can wear any of my boots to ride. All my previous bikes required pointy boots to find the shifter.
Stance overall. The handle bars sweep back a tad much for me but I have long arms for my height.
The fact that the stock seat doesn't actually suck.
I love the sound of the motor it sounds WW2 fighter plane to me, just quiter.

Things I would change:
TC on the fly
ABS off switch
I would prefer more of an exhaust note, but I am sure my neighbors appreciate the ST's polite idle.

Over all awesome. I have this pet peeve about buying an adv bike then having to spend more on panniers and engine guards, but the plus side is that you get to choose them and competition is good for the market right?

Offline s-flow

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 09:44:03 am »
I bought the first gen. Tenere in 2011 now it has 43000 Km and are no longer mine. I recently traded it in for a
brand new 2014, white it is! just as my old one.

I have only 500 km on this one and are taking it easy during break-in but I have been able to notice a few differences
of course. I had only one real concern about the -11, the vibrations.. I have to be very sensitive for vibes as neither a
pan european, ZZR 1400 or Z750 is acceptable for me, those are bikes well known to be very smooth.

I ordered the -11 ST after reading about the silky smooth twin and belived it would cut it for me, but it never really got
good enough. I tried everything. akra, PC5, Ecu unleashed gen 2, vibranators, ROX anti-vibe risers, SW Motech anti-vibe and shock
handle bars, pro-grip gel grips and a lot more.

Now.. why on earth do I get another big parallel twin!? That would mean vibrations?

During the test ride I noticed that Yamaha had worked hard to adress the vibes particulary. The power, torque, fueling and other
things people seemed to adress by them self with aftermarket options but the vibes stayed annoying for certain individuals.

The internal friction (which still may be a bit tight during break-in) in combination with the new handlebar arrangement, aluminium bar and
rubber risers is sucessful! There is vibrations still there but now to be honest I fell good about them due to they beeing equally smeared
out over the RPM-range and the intensity are very low. I do have lots of nice gel-grips sitting around at home, just to slide on if I'd like but
at the moment I think I don't need them.. that is good!

Other then that the CC is great and the E-suspension also great. The look of the bike is better du to a more finished look.

The powercurve, is as good as ECU-unleashed's Gen 2 flash and the fueling is perfect, so Im very happy for the 2014 XT1200ZE!

Greetings!
Daniel
Yamaha XT1200Z   -11 (sold)
Yamaha XT1200ZE -14

Offline Blackster77

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 03:28:57 pm »
Finally picked up my 2014 ES. Picked it up in the rain, rode 4 hours home in rain/drizzle/cloud and general crap. We bonded. From the moment I pulled away from the dealer it felt as if I had been riding this bike for 15 years.  The motor is fantastic, smooth lots of usable power, the tranny is probably the smoothest I have ever shifted and I Couldn't be happier with this bike. I have only logged pavement to this point but have some gravel planned for my vacation time coming mid-end of June and the Virginia's/Pennsylvania etc etc.

Have already logged the miles for the break in service in the last 4 days but of course work hath reared it's ugly head forcing me to garage it.  I can't stand commuting to work on what is my escape/passion.  Comfortable on the highway and the 401 thru Toronto is the worst highway in the Hemisphere. Wind/buffeting/tractor trailers don't bother it much. The windscreen is the smallest I have had on a bike in sometime but in the high position I don't find too bad.  If I do much else to this bike it will be a bigger screen but even that at this point isn't a priority, riding the snot out of it is.

Still trying to sort out the usable tank range on it but that will come after a few more tanks and lots more miles.  Overall a happy Super T owner I am.  Hope to see many of you down the road!

Offline Kirbyb

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 11:09:10 pm »
I moved my Yamaha cases from my 13 to the 14 ES and I have to agree there are changes in the mounting areas under the passenger pegs. Yamaha Canada does not have any idea what I am talking about and keep telling me the bike is the same as the 13 and the bags mount the same way.  I ended up taking off the heat shield and leaving it off and on the side with the shock reservoir I mounted the case mount and put the reservoir mount on the inside of the bag mount. The wiring harness appears to be crimped but I don't know any other way to mount the brackets. It would be nice if they had up dated the mounting instructions for the ES.

Offline Old Blue

• Waterman
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 06:33:22 am »
It's everything I want/need.  And I've tried quite a few styles.
The Bear

Offline stevent

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 01:54:53 pm »
Anyone else notice a gear like whine around 2700 RPM? it's pretty consistent and quite annoying. Other than that I love the bike, everything I could ask for. I tried changing to the Yamalube10w50 at 600 miles but it's still there. The bike's a '13 with a thousand miles on it so it'll probably loosen up over time. Still kind of annoying though.

Offline RED CAT

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 05:20:27 pm »
Try wearing ear plugs. No gear whine.

Offline jgon632

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 06:01:20 pm »
I just made a 50 mile ride home from the dealer on my new ES.  I was impressed with its handling and comfort.  I am have been riding a KLR for 11 years and this is exactly what I wanted for the type of riding I do.  Its nice to be able to stand flat footed at intersections.  I will study the manual tonight to figure out how all the electronics work.   ::012:: 

Offline jimsgone

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 10:19:28 am »
Congrats jgon, i'm jealous !!!  :'(

almost the same username too!!! ::003::

Offline tyger4ride

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 11:53:33 am »
looking for some advice on the 2014 Super Tenere ES! I have been looking at different bikes (KTM 1190, 1000 Vstrom and the BMW 1200) cant find a way to compare all 4 bikes at the same time.
any help would be grateful.

Offline Clevermonkey

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 10:42:16 am »
600 mile oil change completed. Break protocol followed.

I now need to develop INTERNAL self control.  ::26::

Offline Koinz

• Visited
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 11:44:58 am »
looking for some advice on the 2014 Super Tenere ES! I have been looking at different bikes (KTM 1190, 1000 Vstrom and the BMW 1200) cant find a way to compare all 4 bikes at the same time.
any help would be grateful.

Take a look on advrider.......in the Beasts sub-category. Lots of varied opinions, some good, some not so good, but if you read between the lines, you'll get a good idea what you're looking at.
They're all good bikes and it will depend on what you want to spend, your tolerance to maintenance, your riding style (dirt vs street) and of course Reliability.
In my opinion, the Tenere strikes an excellent balance between price, features and reliability.
2012 Raven Super Tenere
1985 Yamaha XT 600
1987 KLR 650

Offline Ramseybella

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 10:05:38 pm »
Clutch Vibe is turning me off..

I do long riding episodes and just would like it to be a bit more comfortable at 80 mph without my hands having an outer body experience after 200 miles.. :'(
"Technology applied for the sake of those who wish to escape it"