Author Topic: Throttle Body Sync with homemade manometer?  (Read 2548 times)

Offline SpeedStar

• XT12 and DL650
Throttle Body Sync with homemade manometer?
« on: August 12, 2011, 10:11:02 pm »
I was just wondering if anyone has done or is planning to do the Throttle Body Sync with a homemade manometer? 
On my Strom, a friend set mine up with tubes connected so I can plug into it with the PVC tubes filled with ATF and adjust until even. 

I don't know if this is possible with the XT?  Anyone more familiar with the process?  Is it possible?

Who will be the first to try it out and document with pics?
Devin  -  Raven XT12
:exclaim:  FS: Check out my SUPER TENERE GUARDS in Vendors:  :exclaim:

Gas Tank Side Panel guards, Rear Tank Guards, Fork Tube Guards, Headlight Masks and Exhaust Shield Masks.
Click here:
 ::022:: http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1697.0

Offline switchback

• One bike is never enough!
Re: Throttle Body Sync with homemade manometer?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:36:09 pm »
should be possible but I will not do it.  Did it on my badly unsynced Ducati and it made a big difference but if I had the right tools it could have been smoother.  My Tenere is as smooth as butter so not planning on messing that up.
Cheers,

David
Current:  2012 Super Ténéré,  2007 Ducati MTS 1100DS, 2003 WR450F
Past:  2007 DR650, 1999 Triumph Tiger, 1989 CR500 (Rick Johnson's), 1986 TT350, 1985 ZX750 Turbo, 1984 IT200, 1980 MX175

Offline ~TABASCO~

• RIDE ON ADV is what I do !
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 12:25:18 am »
I dont have a home made unit.. I have the shop unit and will check mine prolly at 5K miles.....  On the FJR its been about 98% dead on and I tweak it every 10K to make it 99%...   Butt'aaa -butter-
Shipping Lowering Links... In stock

Shipping HEIDENAU'S... In stock

www.rideonadv.com
2012 Super Tenere - 1"bar riser - motoX grips - ECUnleashed flash - Barnett clutch pressure plate - UNI filter - Air box mod - Akrapovic custom muffler - Arrow headers - PCV&AT - Ohlins suspension front & rear - Trailtech Voyager - Steel braded lines on everything - Ride On skid plate - Carbon fork guards - rear disc gard - rear res guard - WC turn signals - WC headlight guard - ADV tires - WC/ride on graphics - sync TB - Baja Squadrons & S2 - custom dash LED's - Custom light harness - Ride On custom light switch - Keyless gas cap - Pivot pegz - 2014 clutch & CCT - Carbon headlight bezel - WC frame guards - Mini rear fender -

Offline RMac

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:07:28 am »
For the 10000km service I asked the mechanic about TBS. His reply was very straight that the computer would show an error code if TBS was out of spec. He saw no error codes reported, end of discussion.

Offline Firefight911

• SmugMug Site
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 01:36:40 pm »
For the 10000km service I asked the mechanic about TBS. His reply was very straight that the computer would show an error code if TBS was out of spec. He saw no error codes reported, end of discussion.

Interesting as my bike just had the first service completed and my tech indicated the TBS was off a bit (noticeably smoother post service), he adjusted it, and there were no codes.  Same thing is written on my work order.
Phil Challinor

Where  am I?

'12 Yamaha Tenere born August 4, 2011

Offline markjenn

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 01:37:06 pm »

While I agree with the idea that TB sync is non-critical and can be done on a "does it feel like it needs it" basis, I'm skeptical that the onboard diagnostics are setup in the way he describes.  There may be some way for the system to detect gross mismatch, but I doubt it monitors the fine-tune of idle sync that is handled by the bleed screws and is recommended to be done every 6K miles.

This sounds like the similar "valves never need adjustment so don't bother" regimen that dealers often give.  Great for the dealer to keep bikes moving through the service bay, but it is not necessarily true.

Back to the OP's question, there is no reason you can't use any homemade manometer setup - a manometer is a manometer.  Personally, I've owned a Morgan Carbtune for the last decade and would never want to go back to jury rigged solutions though.

- Mark

Offline RMac

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 06:13:44 pm »
While I agree with the idea that TB sync is non-critical and can be done on a "does it feel like it needs it" basis, I'm skeptical that the onboard diagnostics are setup in the way he describes.  There may be some way for the system to detect gross mismatch, but I doubt it monitors the fine-tune of idle sync that is handled by the bleed screws and is recommended to be done every 6K miles.

This sounds like the similar "valves never need adjustment so don't bother" regimen that dealers often give.  Great for the dealer to keep bikes moving through the service bay, but it is not necessarily true.

Back to the OP's question, there is no reason you can't use any homemade manometer setup - a manometer is a manometer.  Personally, I've owned a Morgan Carbtune for the last decade and would never want to go back to jury rigged solutions though.

- Mark

I actually agree with you. I have encountered this with every Swedish dealer I have discussed this with. "I have never serviced a DL650 with valves out of spec", "TBS sync? Problems starting the bike? No? Well, just ride and be happy". I did the valve check at 15000 miles on my DL650 and found 6 out of 8 of the valve clearances to be tight and in need of adjustment. I told the Suzuki dealer and he was amazed.

Offline Firefight911

• SmugMug Site
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 08:12:43 pm »
I just read the service manual.  It is quite clear.  If the throttle body sync is more than 10 mmHg out then they need to be synchronized.  The procedure is very simple and straight forward per the manual.  Once it is time to do mine again, I will create a post for this if someone hasn't already done it.  It mentions nothing about "codes" related to sync status as I am sure most of us knew.
Phil Challinor

Where  am I?

'12 Yamaha Tenere born August 4, 2011

Online Koinz

• Visited
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 08:21:06 pm »

Your mechanic was probably thinking TPS (throttle position sensor). That should definitely show up on the computer. I'm not sure about the TBS showing up as an error on the computer
2012 Raven Super Tenere
1985 Yamaha XT 600
2003 BMW R1200CLC - Sold
2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 - sold

Offline RMac

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 09:29:10 pm »
The reason for my post is two fold. Either you guys in the US are super anal or our Swedish mechanics are ... The words fail me. Just interesting that I have not found a mech here who takes the subject of TBS seriously unless the bike is hard to start. Noob out...

Offline Rynn Storm

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 09:38:35 pm »
Either you guys in the US are super anal

I believe that is a yes...     ;D
Rynn

2012 Yamaha XT12Z Super Tenere, Fast Blue

Offline HoebSTer

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 10:40:58 pm »
Rmac, some of us come from VSTroms that needed this regularly. My DL1000 needed it 3-4 times in 15k miles.
Jeff Haar
2012 S10
Wasp Bitten Raven

Previous Bikes: 85 V65 Sabre, 87 CBR1000, 76 H-D Superglide, 96 ST1100, 87 XT600, 93 ST1100, 98 ST1100A, 03 ST1300A, 07 1000 VSTrom, 06 KLR650

Offline RMac

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 05:52:10 am »
Rmac, some of us come from VSTroms that needed this regularly. My DL1000 needed it 3-4 times in 15k miles.

I know. It was a big subject over on the V-Strom forum. Anyway, guess I ended up hijacking this thread. I for one would like to see a documented description of S10 TBS with pics, so that I can check it out myself sometime.

Offline ColoRider

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 07:37:46 am »
I for one would like to see a documented description of S10 TBS with pics, so that I can check it out myself sometime.

Make that two of us!!!  And I know we can find a special place here on the Forum for everyone to find and use the procedure!!!

:)
Rod ~ Die Hard

'12 XTZ12BL (GBNF)

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come

Offline SpeedStar

• XT12 and DL650
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 09:07:32 am »
Me too, that is why I asked.  Who knows what they are doing and will be the first to document it?  :)
Devin  -  Raven XT12
:exclaim:  FS: Check out my SUPER TENERE GUARDS in Vendors:  :exclaim:

Gas Tank Side Panel guards, Rear Tank Guards, Fork Tube Guards, Headlight Masks and Exhaust Shield Masks.
Click here:
 ::022:: http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1697.0