Author Topic: Royal Enfield Adventure Bike  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Andylaser

Royal Enfield Adventure Bike
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:25:35 am »
Seems like Royal Enfield is getting in on the adventure bike market. They are releasing a bike called the Himalayan. It is a 410cc single based on a bored out version of the 350 Scrambler. Expect "rugged simplicity" and the ability to cope with pretty much anything Indian roads can throw at it.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/exclusive-royal-enfield-himalayan-spied-the-best-look-yet/

Artificial Intelligence usually beats Real Stupidity

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
Re: Royal Enfield Adventure Bike
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 10:50:34 am »
That ought to sell like crazy!
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Online Dogdaze

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 11:28:18 am »
That ought to sell like crazy!

Yes it will........ in India, unfortunately the rest of the world is in an enforced 'nanny state', so will never pass any emissions quota.
As I get older, I am no longer surprised at what I know, I'm surprised at how much I don't know.

Offline ddsouza

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 12:02:37 pm »
Me being an Indian wouldn't go for it knowing that Enfield engines are outdated, way back in time. But one thing for sure, many in my country swear by it and surely will do well in sales even though waiting period would set you back by 4-6 months for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Online Don in Lodi

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 01:53:56 pm »
Me being an Indian wouldn't go for it knowing that Enfield engines are outdated, way back in time. But one thing for sure, many in my country swear by it and surely will do well in sales even though waiting period would set you back by 4-6 months for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

:D Outdated motors? Harley still sells a bunch...
Don in Lodi
2012 Tenere
1997 Royal Star
1984 CB900
1986 XL600
1981 XL185
1969 CT90

"ride what you want, want what you ride"

Offline RockyDS

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 06:56:31 pm »
Yes it will........ in India, unfortunately the rest of the world is in an enforced 'nanny state', so will never pass any emissions quota.

Not a problem if it's based on the existing models that are already exported to the US, etc.  New engines were introduced in 2007.

As a result of work spanning several years, a new set of engines was introduced. These were the Unit Construction Engines (UCE). The 350 cc UCE found use in the domestic model Thunderbird TwinSpark in a configuration with two sparkplugs per cylinder, with integrated 5-speed left-shift gearbox. It has not been featured on any of the Bullet models, domestic or otherwise. By 2011, the old cast-iron engine had been completely phased out, including in the Standard 350 model. Now all Royal Enfield bikes are only available with the all-aluminium UCE engine.

The 500 cc UCE features fuel injection, and has greater power than any Royal Enfield 500 cc motor. The 500 cc UCE, with an integrated five-speed gearbox, powers the current Bullet Classic model. Starting in 2009, this engine was available only in the EU to satisfy emissions regulations,[1] but as of 2010 it is available in the United States under two frame models, the Bullet Classic C5,[8] or the Bullet G5, which looks similar and shares paneling with the earlier AVL Electra models. In 2011 a third export model, the B5, was introduced combining the newer 500 cc UCE engine with the traditional Indian domestic tank and frame.

If they introduce a reliable, inexpensive adventure bike in the US and Canada, it will find a market.
Super Ténéré - Yukon 2012 - Ouray 2013 - PCH 2014

Offline Big Blu

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 12:11:06 pm »
Not a problem if it's based on the existing models that are already exported to the US, etc.  New engines were introduced in 2007.

If they introduce a reliable, inexpensive adventure bike in the US and Canada, it will find a market.

Reliable is the key word...... We have a local part time dealer, he's actually a boat dealer that has a lust for all things Enfield.
A couple of riders  I know bought a pair of Cafe racers, only had them a few months, lots if issues and no parts to keep them going.
I'd say it's a bike that does well in third world countries where folks have learned to improvise.

Paul
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." -  Mark Twain

Offline Ploughjockey

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 04:59:04 am »
It would be easy to sell them in Europe and get round the emissions by selling them through VW dealers!! ::024::
How Hard Can It Be?
Trying To Live The Dream !!

Online Dogdaze

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 06:31:20 am »
It would be easy to sell them in Europe and get round the emissions by selling them through VW dealers!! ::024::

Aahh, but then you'd also have to install an ecu.
As I get older, I am no longer surprised at what I know, I'm surprised at how much I don't know.

Offline tregojoe

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 02:43:19 pm »
Maybe there's a production problem as this bike isn't even listed on Royal Enfield's website as of today 1/9/17. Kinda like the concept though.

Offline tregojoe

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 03:19:09 pm »
Just talked to a dealer in Mpls, MN (Go Moto) who said the Himalayan is only available in India currently but they hope to see it stateside by summer/fall '17.