Author Topic: Sea Air and bikes  (Read 3488 times)

Offline adventorider76

Sea Air and bikes
« on: July 31, 2011, 08:52:06 pm »
I've never ridden a bike anywhere close to the ocean before, and I hear one must take certain precautions with your bike when you will be around salt water.   Some of you guys probably have a good idea of what I should do to protect my new Tenere from corrosion.   So if any of you guys that live on the coast could give me some info on what you're doing for your bikes it would be appreciated.  I'll be traveling in a few weeks and don't want to rust up my shiny new bike.  ;D
A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith, and use up a lot of fuel.

Offline japako

Re: Sea Air and bikes
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:06:28 pm »
I've never ridden a bike anywhere close to the ocean before, and I hear one must take certain precautions with your bike when you will be around salt water.   Some of you guys probably have a good idea of what I should do to protect my new Tenere from corrosion.   So if any of you guys that live on the coast could give me some info on what you're doing for your bikes it would be appreciated.  I'll be traveling in a few weeks and don't want to rust up my shiny new bike.  ;D

There is a product call ACF50 that repels corrosion. I sprayed my wheels today(spokes) and from what I can tell, it is some good chit...  :D I tried removing over sprayed from my table lift, and it took some Naptha to do the job.
At first I tried contact cleaner and bug remover and it did not touch it.. They say it will last for two years on planes and I believe it.. 8)
Jim

2012  Blue Super Tenere  Sold
2011  WR250R

www.rideonadv.com

Offline adventorider76

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 11:36:53 pm »
Thanks for the info Japako!  Where would one pick up ACF50, and will it hurt the paint on the bike?
A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith, and use up a lot of fuel.

Offline Combo

• DSN
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 11:40:27 pm »
There is a product call ACF50 that repels corrosion. I sprayed my wheels today(spokes) and from what I can tell, it is some good chit...  :D I tried removing over sprayed from my table lift, and it took some Naptha to do the job.
At first I tried contact cleaner and bug remover and it did not touch it.. They say it will last for two years on planes and I believe it.. 8)

+1 on the ACF50. Had it on the bike before Galveston ride today.
I don't know where I'm going but I won't be late!

Offline Twitch

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 06:35:57 am »
A clean bike and anti-corrosion products on the bare metal surfaces is definitely the ticket for living in coastal areas, but I think that also goes for everywhere. If you’re just visiting a coastal area like Tampa here for only a couple weeks or so I wouldn’t really worry about it. I think the salt mist in the air has more long term, than short term implications.

Offline fredz43

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 08:25:41 am »
I have some to put on my spokes, even though I live in the Midwest. In the past I have had corrosion problems on wheels and spokes when riding in the early spring, when there was still salt residue on the roads. They put lots of salt on our roads in winter when it is snowy or icy.
You're only young once.
BUT, you can be immature forever! :-)

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Offline japako

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 09:07:16 am »
Thanks for the info Japako!  Where would one pick up ACF50, and will it hurt the paint on the bike?

Here is the info... It does not hurt paint(at least it has not so far) :D and this is where I  bought mine. I bought 3 cans and the total shipping was only 12.00 plus change

http://www.skygeek.com/10013.html
Jim

2011  WR250R

www.rideonadv.com

Offline Kevhunts

• "For every one you see, you probably missed three"
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 09:17:04 am »
Here is the info... It does not hurt paint(at least it has not so far) :D and this is where I  bought mine. I bought 3 cans and the total shipping was only 12.00 plus change

"Our corrosion inhibitor is clean, free of toxins and safe. It can be used to perform any corrosion removal or lubrication job without leaving a mess. ACF 50 spray lasts two years and can be used on any plastic, metal, paint or seal. This makes it a great rust inhibitor for airframes as well as avionics and electrical systems." :P
The act of riding is a form of meditation, because the concentration that's required to safely ride a motorcycle tends to focus the mind in a way that eliminates other mental distractions that might interfere with the mission.

Offline ~TABASCO~

• RIDE ON ADV is what I do !
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 10:29:48 am »

Jim,

Thanks for the link...  Do you know where to buy local ?  Or what type of store we can buy it from local ?   Thanks
Lowering Links & Rising Links shipping now !

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ride-On-ADV/678244025556248

UNI Filters now in stock and shipping !!!   Get them while they last !!!

Shipping HEIDENAU'S... In stock

www.rideonadv.com
2012 Super Tenere - 1"bar riser - motoX grips - ECUnleashed flash - Barnett clutch pressure plate - UNI filter - Air box mod - Akrapovic custom muffler - Arrow headers - PCV&AT - Ohlins suspension front & rear - Trailtech Voyager - Steel braded lines on everything - Ride On skid plate - Carbon fork guards - rear disc gard - rear res guard - WC turn signals - WC headlight guard - ADV tires - WC/ride on graphics - sync TB - Baja Squadrons & S2 - custom dash LED's - Custom light harness - Ride On custom light switch - Keyless gas cap

Offline japako

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 02:48:54 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for the link...  Do you know where to buy local ?  Or what type of store we can buy it from local ?   Thanks

Jaxon, I searched for it local and could not find. You may want to try a small airport. They just may have it.
Jim

2011  WR250R

www.rideonadv.com

Offline markjenn

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 03:49:14 pm »
Just my opinion, but using ACF50 for a short-term visit to the coast would be like using a steam shovel to build a sand castle.  It's nasty/messy stuff and will attract dirt.  It's main use is to be sprayed into the interior of aircraft structures to prevent corrosion from within, not exposed areas.

Just wash the bike after the seacoast visit or do a wash every few days while you're there if you're really paranoid.  Short of actually riding the bike in the surf (which some devil-may-care folks like to do), a week or two visit to the coast isn't going to have much effect on corrosion potential.

- Mark
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:53:01 pm by markjenn »

Offline Kevhunts

• "For every one you see, you probably missed three"
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 09:32:04 pm »
Is this ACF50 stuff like Cosmoline?
The act of riding is a form of meditation, because the concentration that's required to safely ride a motorcycle tends to focus the mind in a way that eliminates other mental distractions that might interfere with the mission.

Offline adventorider76

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 09:35:21 pm »
Thanks for all the great information!  Has anyone ever used this stuff from Yamaha?

Offline japako

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 09:46:56 pm »
Is this ACF50 stuff like Cosmoline?

Hello Kev, no acf50 is nothing like Cosmoline.. It goes on and leaves a very very light coating. I have used it on my bike, and  the nice part about it, other than corrosion protection, is the dirt just washes off. No hard work, just floats off.

Don't let one person who's cup is always half empty cloud the waters.
Jim

2011  WR250R

www.rideonadv.com

Offline elizilla

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 11:03:36 pm »
I coated my bike's underside with ACF50, based on advice from the UK Deauville forum.  Those guys ride in the muck and sea air all year round, so I figure they know what works.  You know that area on the front of the motor where the crud kicked up by the front wheel, makes things nasty?  It's nice, I can just hose it off now.  I need to treat it again soon, though.

Ordered from skygeek.  I got two cans, but if I were ordering today I'd just buy one.  One can is like a lifetime supply for a motorcyclist.  It goes a long way.
Katherine

2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré