Author Topic: Maintenance Items, Part Numbers, & Accessories  (Read 124263 times)

Offline mebgardner

Re: Maintenance Items, Part Numbers, & Accessories
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2017, 03:38:37 pm »
mebgardner - Good comments. I bought a fresh tube of Honda moly not too long ago so am pretty sure it can be found. Un fortunately, most of what is billed as containing moly has very little and people need to look for the percentage content. What I'd suggest is for anybody to feel free to add equivalents if they know of some.

Checks:  The Honda Moly 60 product is now unobtanium, anywhere.  The good news is, there's plenty of good alternatives. The TS-70 Moly Paste listed, is one of them. I believe Boris has listed another. Locitite lists a couple different part numbers that also appear to be good alternatives, and I'll say more about these later.
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS.

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2017, 10:57:18 am »
I believe Loctite Moly products are suitable for rear driveline use, in any application including substitution for Lithium Soap.

Loctite Series LB8012, approx 65% Moly, 8 oz. p/n 51048, 16 oz. p/n 51049

Note within the MSDS, this product uses petroleum base oils. This is a problem I think I see with the M77 series of Moly lubes. I believe they may use silicon base oils. I don't know that yet for sure, but I suspect it's true. I'm still digging...

MSDS:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/MSDS/MSDS00014/00270256-20170512.PDF

P/N 51048, 8 oz. at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HWBSJW?tag=vs-powersports-convert-amazon-20
$38. + free ship.

Note the increased costs of Moly paste products. They are increasing at a much faster rate than US inflation. I'm not saying that you should run for it, but if you need to put some on the shelf, it's not going down in price, and has not for years. There is no lack of source, it's just getting pricier.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:19:36 am by mebgardner »
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2, Garmin Zumo 550 GPS.

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2017, 04:05:59 pm »
Honda M77 Assembly Paste.

The interwebs information regarding this lube is a quagmire of conflicting data.

I'll write what I've learned, and you decide about whether or not to use it yourself. At this point, I've determined to go with the TS-70, or the Loctite products. Either of them are clear in their documentation.

Honda M77 assembly paste has no MSDS or product description maintained by a well known chemical distributor. Honda does not publish regarding it's content by anything other than the container.

I believe the Honda M77 is re-branded Dow Corning M77 "Molykote" Moly paste product. I can not prove this, but it's what I believe to be true because most of he interweb links, link the Honda product to the Dow product when searching.

Dow Corning does publish and maintain MSDS and product specification on Dow Corning M77 Molykote here:
http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/details.aspx?prod=01005103&type=PROD

The data point that keeps me from clearly calling the product suitable is, the Dow Molykote is a "Silicone based MoS2 paste".

That statement, from Dow, is the thing that keeps me from recommending it for our rear driveline applications.

I *do not know* if a silicone based lube is suitable, I just don't know.

The Dow product sheet does not actually specify how much Moly is in the M77 paste by percentage, but lists it as "1.95 grams / cc", which is a density (mass .vs volume) specification. Go figure.

It does state this:
"Suitable for lubrication points with low to moderate loads and low speeds which are subjected to water and extreme temperatures."

... and this:

"Used successfully on metal/metal combinations with frictional and contact surfaces, brake anchor plates and the brake pistons of disc brakes."

... and also says this about it's composition:
"Polyphenylmethyl siloxane oil, *Lithium soap*, Molybdenum disulphide".

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:24:43 pm by mebgardner »

Offline msch

« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2017, 12:53:14 pm »
I have a 2017 European Supertenere XT1200ZE.
The following brake pads spec fits my bike?:

EBC Front Brake Pads: FA380 HH
EBC Rear Brake Pads: FA319/2 HH
F. Martin Schneuer

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2017, 02:02:39 pm »
I have a 2017 European Supertenere XT1200ZE.
The following brake pads spec fits my bike?:

EBC Front Brake Pads: FA380 HH
EBC Rear Brake Pads: FA319/2 HH

These are shown on the first page of this thread and are for all models.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline msch

« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2017, 01:10:07 am »
Thank you Checkswrecks.
F. Martin Schneuer

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2017, 02:41:54 pm »
~

Actually, that same Mahle filter is already on the list - 23rd down in the list of filters - but I have it down under its order code number (7620388) as you can see here:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/7620388.html

However, I can see that might be confusing, so I will add the Mahle filter OC575 model number to that Mahle listing to avoid any errors.

Thanks!

Dallara

~
©

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2017, 09:08:43 am »
Ahh the lurker comes forth.   ;)
Glad to see you back with us.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2017, 09:57:01 am »
~

A little more free time than usual. My house was pretty much wrecked thanks to our recent visitor - Mr. Hurricane Harvey - so often I'm left sitting about waiting for contractors, supplies, insurance adjusters, etc. The bad news is, as I said, the house is a wreck and I won't be riding much the next few months...  The good news is when I'm done the place will laugh at 200 MPH winds, etc. and many of the things we wanted to change about the place are happening in the rebuild, and I'll probably go ahead and build the shop I've always wanted on the property in the process.

But just for the record...  Know my trusty, dusty 2012 S-10 is sitting poised & ready inside the currently gutted to the studs garage, and that I still read the forum from time to time. Oddly enough, I rode my S-10 to one of Colin Edwards Mad Dog / Dirt Wars events the Saturday before Harvey, and I'll be riding it again this Thursday up to Austin to finalize the purchase of a used trailer I'm buying so I can stay onsite while my house is rebuilt.

Hell, Checks...  I could probably use you down here to help me mud wrestle with these friggin' venomous insurance folks!

Later!

Dallara

~
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:48:07 pm by Dallara »
©

~

Offline VTEC76

« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2018, 07:03:17 pm »
Good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Karl

« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2018, 01:57:12 am »
Paper Air filter: 23P-14451-00 superseded here by Yamaha in Australia by 23P-14451-UF-00 which is twin foam pod filters.

Interesting....
2014 XTZ1200E

Offline Gigitt

« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2018, 06:19:34 am »
Paper Air filter: 23P-14451-00 superseded here by Yamaha in Australia by 23P-14451-UF-00 which is twin foam pod filters.

Interesting....

LOL

I just found that out today when I was ordering a new air filter... $57.00.
Seen a Yamaha set before on the interwebs.
Uni Filter set for S10 is $99

Offline Karl

« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2018, 07:17:53 pm »
Yup, that's the one same price too.

Created some confusion when I picked it up, when I ordered, it showed the paper one (with the old P/N) and they did not advise it was any different at the time. They got a bit shirty when I said that is not what I ordered, look the part number is different....
2014 XTZ1200E

Offline Dallara

• Creaks When Walks
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2018, 07:38:40 pm »
~

Hate to burst your bubble, Gents...

But those filters have been available for a long, long time. In fact, I think Yamaha started offering them in Australia back as early as 2012, but certainly by 2014. A quick forum search will show lots of discussion about them...  Pros and cons for their use, USA vendors trying to sell them over here for a premium price exceeding that of just ordering them from Australia, were they a performance enhancement or detriment, etc., etc.

While they are interesting, it's more interesting that they seem more to be offered by the Aussie Yamaha importer, and not actually specified by the factory in Japan. Again, a forum search will show discussion on this and the UNI filter origins in Australia. Still, Yamaha chooses *NOT* to offer them, nor specify them for use on the Super Tenere in any of their other markets, nor do they appear in the factory parts catalogs in any other region.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~
©

~