Author Topic: Comparing a Super Tenere to a 1190 KTM from an average "C" rider  (Read 4891 times)

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
Re: Comparing a Super Tenere to a 1190 KTM from an average "C" rider
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 10:06:32 pm »
150 Hp can be real fun in the right place, used the right way.   ::26::  The KTM will certainly have a market segment, just not the same one the Super Tenere enjoys.

If you work on your own bikes, the KTM is... difficult.  I used to think the 10 screws on the Super Ten's airbox were a real annoyance, until I watched this video on replacing the air filters on a KTM 1190 Adventure.  There is apparently a problem with dust getting past the airboxes on the 1190s and causing pre-mature valve wear, and possibly premature ring wear as well, though no one has proven or documented that as yet, that I am aware of.  South Africa apparently has numerous bikes suffering this issue.

Have a look at all the work to get to the air box.  Something like 28 screws, removing the entire tank after both side panels and the faux tank cover, etc.
KTM 1190 Adventure R Unifilter install
Raven Super Tenere (82k)
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
EVal Innovations Inc.

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 11:06:33 pm »
KTM's are intoxicating rides. No doubt. I have a carbed LC8 that is jetted perfectly for sea level. I gotta tell you it's a bit of work getting to those carbs over and over.

But oh how sweet it runs when you finally de-EPA that thing.

I really should ride the dang thing. The Tenere killed the battery and ruined the gas in this bike too. :)

Never thought that would happen.
XT1200Z  Biggest Dirt Bike in The World

Offline maniac28

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 11:44:55 pm »
Really honest review. Thank you. I tried to make it to that demo event as I live in the area, but work intervened.

I have owned a lot of bikes and some were not what I thought they would be. Showroom appeal is one thing. I try to imagine being 2000 miles from home and which bike would I want then. At that point horsepower and tech features are less important, and comfort, reliability, and low maintenance become the focus. I have owned 3 KTM's and they are amazing bikes, but for touring, give me something else.

I am trying to decide between the S10 and other bikes. Maybe I just talked myself into the S10. :)
Ian
DR650 - KTM525EXC

Offline Berg_Donk

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 02:10:04 am »
The only 1190 R I've seen out on the trail to date failed to finish. Bottomed the rear suspension through a G-out, the tyre caught the flexing guard and pulled it around, removing it and the ECU and associated cabling attached up under there. Probably not an issue for road riding but.......

Offline GrahamD

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 03:22:17 am »
The only 1190 R I've seen out on the trail to date failed to finish. Bottomed the rear suspension through a G-out, the tyre caught the flexing guard and pulled it around, removing it and the ECU and associated cabling attached up under there. Probably not an issue for road riding but.......

Probably better than going into a major tank slapper though.

My prediction is that most of them will be used on the road for up to 2,500Km a year, since they are now winning a few ADV shootouts. Should be good buying out there for those that can use them properly when the next "New black" comes along.

Waddayareckon?

Offline avc8130

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 08:50:12 am »
150 Hp can be real fun in the right place, used the right way.   ::26::  The KTM will certainly have a market segment, just not the same one the Super Tenere enjoys.

If you work on your own bikes, the KTM is... difficult.  I used to think the 10 screws on the Super Ten's airbox were a real annoyance, until I watched this video on replacing the air filters on a KTM 1190 Adventure.  There is apparently a problem with dust getting past the airboxes on the 1190s and causing pre-mature valve wear, and possibly premature ring wear as well, though no one has proven or documented that as yet, that I am aware of.  South Africa apparently has numerous bikes suffering this issue.

Have a look at all the work to get to the air box.  Something like 28 screws, removing the entire tank after both side panels and the faux tank cover, etc.

I did a valve adjustment on a KTM 950 Adventure a few weeks before I did the valve adjustment on my S10.

At the time, when I was doing the KTM I was complaining and whining up a storm about how "complicated" KTM made everything.  It was tedious and slow work, but at no point was it frustrating.  The KTM uses a combination of chain/gear driven cams so you never have to mess with the tensioners.  Since it is a twin, all cams can be removed and installed without fighting a cylinder not at TDC. 

Doing the Tenere was a NIGHTMARE.  I fought the valve cover.  I fought the cam chain jumping a tooth.  I fought the tensioner.  Many 4-letter words and the procedure was not enjoyable.

Of course the S10 only requires a valve adjustment every 26k and the old KTM was 12k I think.  I have heard the 1190 is 18k interval?

We can't begin to talk oil changes.  The S10 is ~15 mins and laughable.  The old KTM required 1/2 the bike to come apart.

Personally, I don't mind the MAINTENANCE to pick up the extra power and really drop the weight.  It is RELIABILITY I worry about. 

I have no trouble if I KNOW there is a service coming up, I have major issues if I get an unexpected "service".

ac
ECU Flash: Hearsay.

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 10:11:43 am »
On the valve adj, I suppose some of it is what you're used to working with.  Yamaha has a history of making valve covers an ass pain to remove, with tight clearance to the frame, etc.  From my car perspective of belt driven twin cam motors, the S10's set up for the cam chain and tensioner are more normal than the KTM's, in that you're going to have to fight position when pulling the cams.

Too bad HLAs can't handle the steeper cam lobe shapes.  Could be worse, the Desmo's are really fun!
Raven Super Tenere (82k)
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
EVal Innovations Inc.

Offline mayassa

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 10:55:08 pm »
I don't think this was a fair review, you never switched modes on the S10 but told us all about the snappy modes of the KTM.  Also what the heck are you thinking riding at 100mph with tennis shoes on and a dirt bike helmet? One good bug into those fancy glasses if they are not shatter proof and you will loose an eye.

Offline ballisticexchris

• Chris Moritz
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 05:01:50 pm »
I don't think this was a fair review, you never switched modes on the S10 but told us all about the snappy modes of the KTM.  Also what the heck are you thinking riding at 100mph with tennis shoes on and a dirt bike helmet? One good bug into those fancy glasses if they are not shatter proof and you will loose an eye.

The shoes and glasses were a stupid idea for sure. I just had the jacket and helmet on hand. Left my moto boots behind. I did switch it from the two different modes but could not really tell much of a difference. I was riding the S10 much more mellow than the KTM. In fact, most of my testing on the Yamaha was on straight highway in bishop and slow speed drills in the parking lot.

Your point is well taken......
2005 KTM 300EXC
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
2012 Beta 520RS

Offline mayassa

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 10:36:27 pm »
Yeah I wasn't trying to be an asshat just seen to many people running around this year without gear on

Offline ballisticexchris

• Chris Moritz
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 05:17:11 am »
Yeah I wasn't trying to be an asshat just seen to many people running around this year without gear on

I hear ya' for sure! I see the squids every day riding without protection. It's kind of embarrassing  to see myself in that picture. But getting back to the bike, I do know what I want. I'm looking for a reliable touring/commuter that's not afraid to hit the dirt when needed.
2005 KTM 300EXC
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
2012 Beta 520RS

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 04:44:35 pm »
Pluric is a squid. 😁
XT1200Z  Biggest Dirt Bike in The World

Offline Christoforos

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 05:29:46 pm »
Who's pluric?
'13 Grey tenere..jack of all,master of none.
'02 XR650R..dirt champ.
Be grateful,it could be Much,MUCH worse..

Offline Tiger_one

• 2012 Yukon Rally attendee
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 02:10:55 pm »
I would say the ergos of the two bikes are very close.  Better windscreen on the KTM after adding MRA wing and finding the sweet spot in the adjustment of both the screen and wing.

I like the drop in weight for sure of the KTM.  If you get riled by traffic and forget what you are on, yeah a ticket is waiting, does take will power to stay in your little group of traffic. 

MPG is as good or better than the ST.  Had to take out the allen wrenches and put torx in my toolpak.

29,000+ miles on the ST, only 2700 on the KTM (one trip to three sisters in Texas), so little early to get a feel for longevity.  Starting to get the urge for E07s, but holding off.  Next big trip, probably Idaho or Salida, CO.
David H
14 KTM 1190 Adv
13 HyperStrada

Offline eemsreno

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 09:48:53 pm »
Tiger you sure go through a lot of bikes. 
The guy that bought your Tenere still has it but he feels like he is getting a little old for the weight and might switch to a scooter.