Author Topic: Seat Concepts seat review  (Read 646 times)

Offline AZPI

Seat Concepts seat review
« on: October 06, 2017, 10:55:18 pm »
I upgraded the stock seat on my 2016 with a Seat Concepts regular density foam seat. I emailed with a couple questions and received a thorough reply a couple days later so I pulled the trigger and ordered. SC said the seat would ship within 7-14 days. Day 14 and the confirmation email arrived, my seat shipped. I don't recall how many days but shipping was pretty quick.

The seat fit on my stock pan very well, easy installation with the provided instructions. Great!

The seat looks wider in the rear and higher in the front, it looks impressive. I have 400 miles on the seat and on a 1-10 scale I give it a 5. It is, without a doubt, an improvement over the stock seat. Unfortunately there are only two comfortable positions on the SC seat; all the way back and all the way forward. The down side in the all the way back position is you run into the same problem as the stock seat in that you slide forward, in this case it's just toward the lower seat center. The all the way forward position is nice but it also puts the most bend and strain on the knees and cramps the legs in general.  I find myself switching between both positions way too often to stay comfortable. But what's the biggest source of the discomfort? It's the ridge between the flat top of the seat and the side of the seat. It digs into my upper thighs almost as bad as the stock seat.

Maybe I need to break the seat in more?  I've heard MANY riders say SC is the best upgrade they've ever made. I was hoping to be in that group but no dice. Keep your eyes open for a SC seat for sale soon perhaps. We'll see.

Keep in mind everyone's heiny and preference is different so this is only mine.  For reference I'm 6'3", 240#, big frame, long arms and torso.

Offline Riteris

Re: Seat Concepts seat review
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 07:48:21 pm »
I bought my bike used with a SC seat installed so I cannot compare to stock.

I do find it a bit on the squishy, soft side though.

For any of you that have had the SC for a while, does it change in any way over time? Get firmer? Conform better? Or, most important for me, get shorter?
Cheers,

Chris

Offline Dirt_Dad

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 08:57:40 pm »
I find the SC to be too soft by itself.  Using a BeadRider with it allowed me to do 7,000 miles in 3 weeks without any real issue.

17 Super Tenere ES
15 Super Tenere ES
12 Yamaha XT250
13 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline AZPI

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:45:38 pm »
Somebody suggested the nylon mesh liner of my pants is causing me to slide forward. I'll test that later this week.

Offline AZPI

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:42:35 am »
Somebody suggested the nylon mesh liner of my pants is causing me to slide forward. I'll test that later this week.

A took a friend's advice and rode in jeans to see what the seat felt like while wearing pants without a nylon mesh liner. I was pleasantly shocked at the difference this made! My ego is never too big to admit that I misspoke so I happily retract my comment regarding sliding forward while seated in the all the way back position. That issue is eliminated with non-lined pants. The seat is definitely more tolerable. 

Offline mingo

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:14:50 am »
They send you the seat and you remove the seat cover and foam off your stock seat pan? You have to staple the cover in place?  Pics would be nice. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 11:06:25 am »
But what's the biggest source of the discomfort? It's the ridge between the flat top of the seat and the side of the seat. It digs into my upper thighs almost as bad as the stock seat.

+1.

Yup, I had SC do the seat for me and send it back. I had the same complaint, so I bought a staple gun, then removed the SC seat covering and started carving on the foam underneath.

It took me two tries of cover off / cover stapled back on, for me to declare "done".

I used scissors to cut the foam from that edge, mostly from the "more forward" part of the edge.

This helped, but I still find myself being in the forward position of the seat most often.

I do not like this Yamaha / SC seat much.

I also bought the "synthetic material" athletic jockey shorts from walmart. They help with the comfort, too, no longer allowing my pants to grab and pull my short hairs. It helps, too.

I do not like this Yamaha / SC seat much at all.

I've done all the seat modifications to lower it, and change the tilt on it.

What to do, what to do?
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2.

Offline Riteris

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 11:13:44 am »
They send you the seat and you remove the seat cover and foam off your stock seat pan? You have to staple the cover in place?  Pics would be nice. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

I found two youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdKtzdWXTeE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME3qw9YQ_3M
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:52:43 pm by Riteris »
Cheers,

Chris

Offline verboten1

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 04:08:42 pm »
Seat concepts is my seat of choice on the tenere, DRZ and klr.

Perfect for me on every bike. Different seats for different asses.
'82 XV920: Soon to be tracker--'00 KLR685:adv
--'01 Ninja 250: Wifey's Bike For Sale! --'12 Super Tenere --'13 Versys

Offline taskmaster86

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 11:54:41 am »
I had the seat concepts commuter seat on my KLR and I loved it. Almost a perfect seat for that bike.

The seat concepts seat for the super tenere is only a marginal improvement for me. What I have done now is the factory bumper seat mod, which lowers the rear of the seat and removes most of the forward pitch, along with the seat concepts kit and a sheepskin butt pad. The seat is now very tolerable but still not perfect or awesome.

If I could do it all over again, I would have just saved my money and ordered a Russell day long. I have never heard anyone say anything even remotely negative about their Russel day long seat, looks or price aside.
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
2008 Kawi KLR 650 - sold

Online Cycledude

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 10:31:10 pm »
I found two youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdKtzdWXTeE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME3qw9YQ_3M

Thanks for posting the links !  If I do sometime decide to go that route I will take the seat to a friend that does upholstery for a living, he does great work and makes it look so easy.
2013 Tenere heading for Alaska about May 25th 2016
2002 Honda GL1800, yellow, currently 465,000 smiles