Author Topic: windshield riding, whats your style?  (Read 800 times)

Offline ace50

• 2012 S10
Re: windshield riding, whats your style?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 11:47:16 am »
Really, nobody has problems with side wind or traffic turbulence with available windshields?  ???

Guess it's just me!  :'(
Marriage:
My wife said it was like a deck of cards.
At the start, all you need is 2 hearts and a diamond....
Later, you want a club and a spade.

Offline Nikolajsen

• "Keep it simple"
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 01:04:50 pm »
Really, nobody has problems with side wind or traffic turbulence with available windshields?  ???

Well, og course I can feel if a car drive fast the other way, and if I cross a bridge in sidewind, with these big concrete "pillars".
But no problem at all.

And no turbulence..
XT 1200Z 2017 "Tech Black"

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 01:57:04 pm »
Quote from: Xclimation on October 03, 2017, 08:35:58 pm

I like some wind, but not to the point where turning my head is a chore.

^this

I like to look a couple of inches over the windshield. The wind goes over my helmet and I have a clear line of sight.

+1 to all the above.

I use a Shoei Hornet X2, with a sun visor.  I need protection from wind and buffeting to not allow that visor to yank my head / neck around.

I use: OEM standard screen and brackets, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM side wings, and a windshield bracket brace made by an inmate on this forum.

The combination works well for me (6' 0", lowered OEM seat) in all weather.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:58:51 pm by mebgardner »
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2.

Offline RicoChet

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 02:02:47 pm »
I've got the Yamaha Tall windscreen with a small extra winshield on the top of that attached to the top that keeps all the wind off my head and body, and I absolutely freaking love it.
Current Bike: 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES & 2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Offline Terminus

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 08:10:59 am »

You are not alone.  Driving in traffic especially on a busy expressway the air is very turbulent due to all of the other cars and trucks.  That was the main reason I got the Madstad and the larger Madstad windshield.  Now when I am in that traffic I can put the shield all the way up and the buffeting is gone.  The sidewind though.....not so much.  I think you would have to have a  very wide windscreen to block that sidewind... I think I have seen on this forum that really wide screens can hit the handle bars.
Red 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere (non-es)

Offline ace50

• 2012 S10
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 08:31:03 am »
You are not alone.  Driving in traffic especially on a busy expressway the air is very turbulent due to all of the other cars and trucks.  That was the main reason I got the Madstad and the larger Madstad windshield.  Now when I am in that traffic I can put the shield all the way up and the buffeting is gone.  The sidewind though.....not so much.  I think you would have to have a  very wide windscreen to block that sidewind...
I think I have seen on this forum that really wide screens can hit the handle bars.

I thought it was just me!  :'(
That's why I mounted the windshield on the handlebars so I could make the shield almost any width I wanted!

On a non-windshield issue, I removed the pillion seat and put one of these things on. Now flat the whole way back!
More room for me! Easier to slide around a bit more as the stock seat really locks you down.......
Breathes better too!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-Comfort-Ride-Seat-Protector-Cover-Black-Soft-4-Wheeler-Motorcycle-Dirtbike-/112487795606?hash=item1a30cb8b96:g:4REAAOSw2xRYj2Q9&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:32:51 am by ace50 »
Marriage:

Offline smalls78

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 04:14:06 pm »
I have noticed the MadStad bracket doesn't always stay in place.

Offline Terminus

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 04:32:14 pm »
I have noticed the MadStad bracket doesn't always stay in place.

I don't think I have had that problem for the most part.  I did notice that you have to make sure the screw knobs are set just right in the notches on the bracket.  You can feel them.  if you tighten the knob in between two of the notches it will just vibrate loose.  Hard to explain, so I hope you are following me.
Red 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere (non-es)

Offline Cycledude

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 05:14:20 pm »
I have the tallest and widest VStream and wow it’s a huge improvement over the tall Yamaha shield I was using.
In the tall position yes the hand guards do slightly bump the windshield but in my opinion not enough to really bother anything.
I’m currently running it in the low position and the hand guards do not hit anything.
But I am very curious how an even wider VStream would work,  if they would ever start making a wider one with bigger cutouts for the handguards I’d most likely give it a try.
2013 Tenere heading for Alaska about May 25th 2016
2002 Honda GL1800, yellow, currently 465,000 smiles

Offline Sierra1

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 05:39:51 pm »
I still have the stock/OE windshield.  I don't really see a difference between all the way up/down.  I ride practically every day, over 40*, but I'll never be an Iron Butt participant.  Since this is Texas, I ride with the windshield all the way down; more airflow.  I have a silverback body type, and have my seat on the low position.  I don't get much helmet turbulence, unless my wife is on the back.  I don't think there is a windshield made to protect from high crosswinds.  And turbulence/dirty air off of other traffic is also hard to eliminate.  I think weight makes more of a difference than a windshield.
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Offline ace50

• 2012 S10
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 07:28:18 pm »
I still have the stock/OE windshield.  I don't really see a difference between all the way up/down.  I ride practically every day, over 40*, but I'll never be an Iron Butt participant.  Since this is Texas, I ride with the windshield all the way down; more airflow.  I have a silverback body type, and have my seat on the low position.  I don't get much helmet turbulence, unless my wife is on the back.
 I don't think there is a windshield made to protect from high crosswinds. 
And turbulence/dirty air off of other traffic is also hard to eliminate.

Mine does!  ::001::
Marriage:

Offline holligl

• Find the road less traveled...
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 09:55:40 am »
I just changed my style after a long weekend with some longer rides.  My legs were cramping so I changed the seat to the high position and then jacked my Tall Yamaha touring screen from the second position to the highest point.  I found the additional leg room refreshing and the screen actually quieter for me here.  (I'm 6', 32" inseam)  Slightly more through the screen view.  I do find it interesting the amount of bug splatter on the backside of the screen.  I guess they're exploding as they come through the venting under the screen.
2014 BluES

Offline smalls78

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 11:26:43 am »
I just changed my style after a long weekend with some longer rides.  My legs were cramping so I changed the seat to the high position and then jacked my Tall Yamaha touring screen from the second position to the highest point.  I found the additional leg room refreshing and the screen actually quieter for me here.  (I'm 6', 32" inseam)  Slightly more through the screen view.  I do find it interesting the amount of bug splatter on the backside of the screen.  I guess they're exploding as they come through the venting under the screen.

I'm 6'1" and I'm riding the same style. I tried the lower seat setting and found my windshield worked better, but I couldn't ride like that with my long a$$ legs!