Author Topic: Clutch Basket Remove/Upgrade/Installation  (Read 70757 times)

Offline OldRider

Re: Clutch Basket Remove/Upgrade/Installation
« Reply #270 on: September 14, 2017, 01:12:56 pm »
I would put the Barnett spring conversion kit in while I had it apart. This is one of those items you really don't think you needed until you got one.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/fits-2010-13-xtz1200-super-tenere.html#SubCategories
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:29:44 pm by OldRider »

Offline Bowana

« Reply #271 on: September 14, 2017, 01:23:49 pm »
I wasn't sure if the CCT bolts were reusable or not.  I was going to replace to clutch friction plates since I was going to have the whole thing apart anyways.  I've felt slippage under heavy acceleration so I figure if I'm going to change the pressure plate, might as well change the friction plates.

For the prices and names, those are from PArtszilla in USD.  I've just started looking around for best prices so if you had any suggestions on a cheaper place I am all ears!

Scott

Why are you replacing the CCT bolts and the clutch friction plates?

Unless they have been abused or are showing clear indications of slippage and have high miles, it's rarely necessary to replace the clutch plates themselves.  And there is no reason to replace the Clutch Boss unless you've damaged it during removal.  Which is unlikely with the EBC clutch tool and the correct 30mm socket.  An impact wrench really helps in getting the nut off.  The Clutch Boss Spring, (Cushing Spring), is listed as a replace item, but it's easy enough to remove and replace it w/o damage IF you are swapping plates.  If you're not swapping plates, you won't be taking it off the Clutch Boss.  It retains the very last plate which stays captured on the Clutch Boss.  And while I recommend getting the cover gasket, it usually stays intact and is re-useable if not damaged.  I had my cover off 3 times and it never needed to be replaced.  (So now I have a new gasket still in the plastic bag that I'll probably never use.)  Oh, and I hope those prices are in CAD not USD or you're paying too much.   ;)  I've put a strike thru the parts you don't need if you don't have a compelling reason to replace the clutch plates and Clutch Boss.

As an aside, where did you get these part numbers and names.  There are minor inconsistencies and errors.

http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/yam/53306f5af870024560f03e1f/clutch

1 - EBC Clutch Removal Tool $14.14
1 - 14B-12213-00-00 GASKET, TENSIONER CA $4.72
1 - 23P-15461-00-00 GASKET,CRCS CVR 2 $15.45
1 - 2BS-12210-00-00 TENSIONER ASSY, CAM CHAIN $129.53
1 - 2BS-16150-00-00 PRIMARY DRIVEN GEAR COMP. $271.00

Offline Bowana

« Reply #272 on: September 14, 2017, 01:24:33 pm »
I'm definitely thinking of putting the Barnett kit in.

I would put the Barneet spring conversion kit in while I had it apart. This is one of those items you really don't think you needed until you got one.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/fits-2010-13-xtz1200-super-tenere.html#SubCategories

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #273 on: September 14, 2017, 03:14:33 pm »
What year and how many miles on your S10?
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline Bowana

« Reply #274 on: September 18, 2017, 07:46:31 am »
It is a '12 with around 40-50K  Can't remember exact off the top of my head.

What year and how many miles on your S10?

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #275 on: September 18, 2017, 09:45:04 am »
Ok, the second valve check/adjustment is coming up.  Might want to consider doing that and the CCT at the same time.  Or having it done...

It would be somewhat odd if the clutch disks needed replacing at only 50k, (W/O an abusive issue like stuck in mud, etc).  I've not had to replace clutch plates on the last three Yamaha bikes I took over 100k.  One to 160k w/o any slipping, but that was a street bike, (FJR).

Under what conditions/use do you notice slipping?  Typically the first area you will notice slipping is heavy throttle in higher gears at lower rpms.  You may need the disks, but let's just say I'm doubtful.
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline Dogdaze

« Reply #276 on: September 18, 2017, 09:59:17 am »

sometimes if you run with the incorrect oil, that may cause slippage........... Long life type designed for cars.
As I get older, I am no longer surprised at what I know, I'm surprised at how much I don't know.

Offline snakebitten

« Reply #277 on: September 19, 2017, 02:03:41 pm »
Over the years, as robust as the clutch is in this BEAST, there have been a few shredded-totaled-melted clutches.
I could be wrong, but in ALL instances it was related to either an off-road ride with traction control setting on 1, resulting in the rider feathering the clutch to overcome the incorrect traction control setting, OR a Tenere being completely caked in tire mud and unable to proceed forward without excessive clutch slipping.

Or put another way, the clutch in the Super Tenere is amply robust enough for the normal abuse that riding the Beast requires. (On and Off-road)
But at 600 lbs, and being the Biggest Dirt Bike In The World, it is more than capable of destroying the clutch if it is hammered with intentional (manual) clutch slipping.

Oh, and I too support adding the Barnet product to the upgraded clutch basket. Why not build a better overall clutch when you do decide to upgrade? :)

XT1200Z  TBDBITW  (The Biggest Dirt Bike in The World)
KTM 500 EXC              Dirtiest Street Bike In The World
KTM 950 SE           (The Substitute for the XT700Z that's coming)

Offline npj1966

« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2017, 08:48:18 am »
Thanks for the encouragement Dog!

-NPJ

Thanks to Koinz, Dogdaze and Don in Lodi for the write-up and the encouragement to do this Basket swap.  All I can say is WOW! This makes the bike feel brand new!!!  THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL though, as the difference is Day and Night.

-NPJ
NPJ1966

Offline Dogdaze

« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2017, 08:51:40 am »
 ::008:: Glad you liked the change. How long did the complete job take you in the end?
As I get older, I am no longer surprised at what I know, I'm surprised at how much I don't know.

Offline npj1966

« Reply #280 on: October 11, 2017, 09:41:19 am »
::008:: Glad you liked the change. How long did the complete job take you in the end?

I took my time to look at all the plates and spacers as I broke it all down so it was around 45 minutes.  Having never been inside a clutch before, I was curious.  It would have taken 20-30 minutes had I not done the inspection/exploration.  Also, I just hit 10k miles so the plates appeared to be in good shape.

-NPJ
NPJ1966

Offline ace50

• 2012 S10
« Reply #281 on: October 11, 2017, 09:44:40 am »
Thanks to Koinz, Dogdaze and Don in Lodi for the write-up and the encouragement to do this Basket swap.  All I can say is WOW! This makes the bike feel brand new!!!
 THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL though, as the difference is Day and Night.
::026::  I agree!
Marriage:
My wife said it was like a deck of cards.
At the start, all you need is 2 hearts and a diamond....
Later, you want a club and a spade.

Offline smalls78

« Reply #282 on: October 11, 2017, 11:58:05 pm »
Cannot believe the excellent info here! Huge thanks for taking the time putting this together for folks just like myself.

Offline smalls78

« Reply #283 on: October 23, 2017, 11:40:48 am »
I'm about to button up the primary cover after replacing the clutch basket.  I have a question regarding clutch plates and their placement. I have read several of the replies here in regards to this. I never separated plate 1 and plate 2, they were left "stock".  I simply pulled them out, placed facedown and then replaced them the same way. However, in regards to the dimple on the clutch basket this does not make sense. I am assuming that the clutch basket does not have a certain placement, rather the dimple is simply a reference point just to let you know that plate 1 and plate 2 should be separated or offset, i.e. plate 1 is 3 or 4 spots over from basket dimple, and plate 2 is 4 or 5 spots over...respectively to plate 1 position?

Offline Dogdaze

« Reply #284 on: October 23, 2017, 12:04:43 pm »
Correct, the last plate on (1st?) is offset, so it does not line up with the others and sits in / on the step.