Author Topic: Harley Touring to Super Tenere  (Read 8025 times)

Offline Kelvininin

Re: Harley Touring to Super Tenere
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 05:25:32 pm »
I am someone who rode cruiser and touring bikes exclusively until about 2.5 years ago when I bought my first adventure bike I have been riding something for 20 years now (Sheesh!!).   In that time frame, I looked at HD and was so incredibly unimpressed with them, I entirely don't understand the following.  Compared to the competition, HD are hot, vibrate a lot, under powered, slow, poor handling, high maintenance, and said maintenance can be difficult (belt change), and yes I test rode plenty.  If HD was a domestic auto maker they would have been long gone.   I started riding a moped when I was 15, then at 16, an old beat to hell Honda Shadow 500, That became a 1998 Honda Magna, then a Victory Kingpin, followed by a Victory Vision, before turning to Victory I was eye balling Goldwings.  When I was still single I bought a second bike a Buell Blast for a get around town bike, it was awful and unreliable, that became a Victory Hammer S, which became an A990 which was slightly more reliable than the Blast, that finally became a S.Tenere. 

Now with a 10 week old in the house, and daycare payments at $1000/month for cheap daycare, I sold the Vision and kept the Tenere.   My only slight regret is I didn't discover Adventure riding until just a few years ago.   

I get riding, I just don't get the HD thing.  They are just another bike manufacturer. 
2010 FJR
2011 F150 Ecoboosted

Offline Paul466

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 05:40:53 pm »
I hear Ya! I think people buy HD for the legend of it. Performance takes a back seat to the pirate look. Sad that a GREAT AMERICAN COMPANY is stuck still making model-t s for bikes. I would love to buy an american adv bike. They need to have the classics models and inovative models also. Had high hopes for BUELL... Sad

Offline num

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 06:07:22 pm »
All,

I recently joined this forum as I've gotten bit by the need to do some adventure riding.  I'm not planning to do any in the near future due to my first child on the way in June, however I really love riding and have had a Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic for a while now that my wife and I have taken some big trips on.  With the aforementioned child on the way though, the vast majority of my future riding will be to and from work and long weekend excursions when able.  I'd also like to be able to do some exploring of the many dirt roads around here in Florida. 

With that said, I am curious if anyone else here has experience going from a large V-Twin cruiser to the Super Tenere?  I have not taken one for a test ride yet, but I've done a lot of research on the bike and sat on it at a dealership.  I am really interested in the linked ABS brakes for on road safety as there are a lot of dumb drivers around here that like to randomly slam on their brakes and that is just not a fun experience on a 900lb bike.  There are also some awesome deals I've seen on used ones that would not require much if any cash out of pocket besides what I get from selling the Harley.  I will admit the wife is not too thrilled about the idea of getting a different bike as she's really enjoyed the sofa that is the pillion seat on the Ultra Classic, but I really don't think she'll be on it much in the future and I'd certainly like something a bit more modern, more powerful, and smoother than the tourer is when standing still (think sitting on a paint shaker).

Any information or opinions are welcomed, I am really up in the air at this moment, but really love the S10!  It seems like a much more affordable BMW GS with less maintenance concerns.

I had a fat boy for about a year.  It's a cool bike but after crashing it i never bought another harley simply because all that chrome is a pain in the ass to clean! hahaha.  The cost of ownership on a HOG is just crazy compared to the s10.  Once I bought the s10 I couldn't get over how light it felt while riding, it's really unbelievable, it's got all the features i would want out of a bike (after adding a few myself).  Slowly i started to agree that Harleys just turn gas into noise.  They do one thing and do it well, cruise. The s10 is so much more motorcycle than the Harley is, it turns heads because it's a beautiful functional bike but no one really sees them because it's a bike that can take you 100 miles to the woods and then another 30 miles on a trail hahaha :D

**shameless plug**
With that said, I have mine for sale because I want a new dirt bike

Cats, no less liquid than their shadows, offer no angles to the wind. They slip, diminished, neat, through loopholes less than themselves.

Offline rafnk3

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 07:22:47 pm »
I rode an Electra Glide Classic for 5 years and started to research adventure bikes before I went and pre-ordered the ST.  I then decided I was going to ride both for a year and make a decision on which one was going to stay.  Well after smiling ear to ear before, during and after each ride on the ST I decided it was time to end my riding days on the Harley.  There just isn't the wow factor riding the HD.  Yes I have added a lot of accessories but why not when this one is here to stay (unless the 2014 ST is that much more).  Also my wife enjoyed riding the Harley, until we went on a few trips on the Yamaha.  She says the ST is more active riding, it's more comfortable, less wind, smoother and etc...
Bottom line, sold the Harley and never looked back.  Best decision I ever made!

Current: 2015 Super Tenere ES

Offline Easy

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 08:27:44 pm »
Same story for me. Had an 09 Road King Classic, and a 12 Ultra classic. Bought the Tenere and kept the ultra classic for a year. After the year sold the Harley. I recommend making the jump from cruising to adventure motorcycling. A world of difference. Just raising the Tenere up off the side stand will make you smile.
Easy

Offline FDhog

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 10:10:05 pm »
Im lucky. I get to have both.
2011 Road King Classic and 2013 Super Ten
Just got the Ten about 3 weeks ago and the weather has been crap.
Already added LED lights, Hardwired GPS, and have skid plate, bar risers, and crash guards ready to go on.
Just waiting for snow to melt.
I will never get rid of my Road King. I like to take long trips with the GF, and sorry guys, as good as the Tenere is, it just doesn't get the long distance 2 up nod for a 6'3" and 5'10" duo.
I bought it as a fun second bike, and that's what it is, my second bike.
No brand loyalty involved. I've been riding over 40 yrs and I know what I like.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:44:25 am by FDhog »
2013 Matte Gray S10, 2011 Black Road King

Offline SIXTEEN

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2017, 12:22:44 pm »
I went the other way.  Love my '16 anniversary Ténéré, but I had to add a touring bike to the stable.  Got a 2018 Indian Springfield Dark Horse to fill that role now. 

Offline TeneRey

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 08:14:52 pm »
The stock seat on a Tenere is a joke and needs to be one of the first items modified or replaced. I lucked out and got a Bill Meyer pilot and pillion seat off of eBay for $350  and my stock seats. Bill Meyer went to Costa Rica and Rocky shut down the shop. So you can't buy them at all anymore. BUT there are a lot of custom seat makers out there. I ride 2up a LOT and my gf loves her perch.

Offline Super08

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 10:49:09 pm »
I have a 2015 Road Glide I have pretty much built into an Ultra. I love the way the miles just roll by on a long trip and the comfort both one and two up. The Tenere is my fun bike. The handling and performance are so far above a Harley that they are not even worth mentioning. It is very capable of long distance touring but will never come close to the comfort of my RG. Right now if I had to choose only one I would keep the Tenere but over time I know my wife would lose interest in riding with me.

Offline trainman

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 12:22:52 pm »
The brakes are possibly the best on a large adventure bike, the linked front/rear eliminate dive to the point I thought it as good as my previous GS. The balance and traction is good too, long wheelbase and engine well forward (side radiator) ideal.

I have gone the other way, S10 to Guzzi Audace crusier, S10 is reliable, competent and capable of long miles at speed in comfort (seat and screen may need tweaks). For now I am only doing short trips so the Guzzi character appealed and I am back to real wind in the face biking. If I needed a tourer again it would be S10 all day long.