Author Topic: How do you carry your tent poles?  (Read 8358 times)

Offline bloodline

How do you carry your tent poles?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 07:43:53 am »
That bag is longer than the aero stitch.

Offline elizilla

Re: How do you carry your tent poles?
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 01:12:32 pm »
What's a tent pole?

(snip Morpho Airbeam video)

Do you have this tent? 

My experience of one person tents has been bad.  Tents always claim to hold one more person than can actually fit in them, which means that a one person tent won't hold any people at all.  Nemo's advertising says that the one person version is roomy enough that you don't need an extra person's worth of space for your riding gear, and some of the reviews agreed with this.  I'd have been interested in at least looking at it if there were any stores where I could go see them, but since I have to order it I decided not to risk getting a useless tent.  I ordered the two person version.

I will use it this weekend for the first time.  I did set it up in my backyard when it arrived a few days ago.  It went up easily and it is nice inside.  But we'll see how I feel about it when I get home on Sunday night.

They claim that this larger version packs down to 14" x 7" but in the sack they sent I couldn't get it down anywhere near that small.  I put it in a fancier compression sack with four straps, without the stakes and pump, and got it down kinda close to the claimed size.  But it was quite a workout to do that.  Maybe with time and use it will soften and get easier to compress.
Katherine

2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré

Offline Fortech

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 09:03:30 am »
I would like to re-activate this discussion.

I have two 2up camping trips planned for the near future.  A 3 day and 6 day trip.  Just curious to whether anyone has any updates on where to stash my tent poles for these trips?

I'm thinking I will fasten them somewhere on the rear frame of the bike on the right side, somewhere between the frame and my right pannier.  Any ideas for fastening to the bike welcome!

Online Madhatter

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 06:19:15 am »
the first time I went camping on my bike I had everything in a big duffle bag strapped across the bike .. made for a nice back rest but was a general pain in the ass.... the second time I went camping I decided that I would actually try and fit everything inside my touratech boxes... low and behold everything fit inside , so much nicer..... didn't even try to see if it would fit the first time..... if your older tent with longer pole will not fit strap them anywhere that is not going to interfere with riding safely....maybe they will fall off and you can tell the wife why you need the new tent....

Offline Bryce

• Ya, Whatever!
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 08:06:09 am »
I specifically shopped for my current MC tent by packed size.
I have a Big Agnes Fairview 2 2-person tent that works out great for me when I'm solo.
It's packed size is 16x6.5" and fits nicely in the Yamaha Panniers on my Super Tenere or the Pelican 1520 cases I have on my KLR.
On either of my 2 bikes, I can solo MC camp with my gear entirely inside on the panniers and top case, unless I'm bringing a lot of food.  but normally, I either buy as I go along or eat out.
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living." - Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971

'14 Super Ténéré - Team Yamaha Blue
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21

Online Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 08:06:23 am »
I've been able to get mine inside of the old Givi 52L top box, but have also bungled them across the front of the top box.

I also saw a guy with a simple and unusual idea for long pieces on each side of the bike. One was for tent poles and the other was a folding camp chair. For each, he had a piece of PVC water pipe with an end cap on the bottom, presumably with a drain hole or two. Each was mounted on the inside of the pannier mounts and he'd painted the PVC black to match.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline VPS1

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 04:40:33 pm »
I use the mosko moto 40 duffel, it has a tent pole pouch! Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Roge

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 05:58:27 pm »
I have a length of poly water pipe, end cap glued on one end push fit on the other, going to get a screw cap. The smallest diameter for all my tent and tarp poles and just cut to the right length.. It lives under the bag on the back seat
The Mutts Nuts