Author Topic: Okay, I'll play. Hello. New XT1200z owner, coming from 1150 BMW GS Adventure  (Read 325 times)

Offline SIXTEEN

Ever since I sold my 1150 GSA, I've missed that style of motorbike.  I tried to replace it with a KLR-650, by adding all kinds of farkles, and touring junk, but it just didn't fill the void for me.  I lucked into this Ténéré at a great price, so it was meant to be mine. 

My very first motorcycle was a Yamaha, and I've wanted another one ever since, but only had (most) every other brand until now, twenty-one years later.  Quite a step up from that 1981 250 I began on! 

I can't get over how SMOOTH this motor is, it's like butter.  I live in an area with a lot of dirt roads and desert lands, so this bike is my perfect match.  I've had it for ten days, but only managed to put about 500 miles on her so far, probably close to 15-20% dirt riding.  I'm pretty sure my old 1150 GSA was a lot heavier, felt like it anyway.  I can't believe all this stuff I read on the internet about this XT1200z being a heavy tank of a bike.  She's NIMBLE as all get-out, and feels light once underway, although its turning radius seems to be larger than any bike I've ever had before. 

This is the best and most nicest bike I've ever had.  The luxury amenities are a welcomed treat, but I still don't have heated grips (or Electronic Suspension).  I seem to have problems with my right hand as I age, and this cruise-control (ELECTRONIC!) is the best thing I've ever known.  I use it all the time, even just for a second, and it helps my hand issues so much and allows me to ride so much further, forever.  Cruising on a desolate highway is so much more relaxing with that electronic cruise-control engaged.  Wow.  Just luxurious. 

This bike is THE ULTIMATE.  This bike is NEXT LEVEL.  This bike is the "Apex Predator" (Anthony from ZevRilla). 

I really "wanted" the BMW R1200GSA, but couldn't afford it, so I was considering something in the 800-850cc range.  The FJ-09 caught my attention, but it was a poseur, pretending to be off-road capable, while really being a strictly road bike with good seating position.  I knew I didn't want another KLR, but the Versys 650 LT (with saddlebags) was still a Kawasaki, so that was out (my KLR left a bad taste). 

So, I gathered up all my dollar bills, and headed to the dealer to buy a brand new FJ-09 off the showroom floor, previous years model, a 2016 with warranty and no farkles.  I saw it on their website, so I just hitched up my little trailer and headed up there when they opened in the morning. 

The first thing to catch my eye was this HUGE yellow, 60th Anniversary Edition Super Ténéré with Jesse Luggage and crash-bars, and skid-plate, ABS-DISENGAGE switch already wired up and working well, and over a thousand bucks cheaper than the same year (new, with warranty) FJ-09 sitting nearby.  The 2nd Gen iteration?  Only 7,000 miles?  Is this real life?!  Um, yeah . . . I'll take it.  Thanks.

While trailering her home, the first motorcyclist to pass me hovered back and rode next to the Ténéré for a bit, then gave me a big thumbs-up  ::008:: as he passed me, making me grin ear to ear.  Usually, I'm not so affected by a friendly gesture, but you know I was reeling from excitement and freaking out about just getting this dream-bike, so that kicked it up a gear. 

Yeah, I got lucky.  Yes, the bike is PERFECT.  Why was it so cheap?  I don't know.  It has been dropped a lot, but with protection, so I could give a care.  Battlescars on the skid-plate and crash-bars and luggage all fell upon.  She started life ridden hard boys, but she is a gem and hasn't even hiccuped once.  I haven't dropped it (yet), and I see no reason to.  She's agile as a billy goat on the rocks and never tries to fall down on purpose. 

SHAFT DRIVE!

::26::

Offline Sierra1

My KLR was "good enough" for awhile.  Not really competition for a modern "adventure" bike.  I thought the turning radius on the Tenere was pretty good.  I can do bar-lock turns in less room than the FJR and ST 1300.  The seating position helps very much.  But yes, she is very "flickable" through corners.  Feels lighter than she is.
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Offline Nikolajsen

• "Keep it simple"
XT 1200Z 2017 "Tech Black"

Offline SIXTEEN

Shout out (Mad Respects) to Marcos at Vickery Motorsports Inc. in Denver, Colorado for hooking me up with this bike and putting up with me. 

Offline SIXTEEN

My KLR was "good enough" for awhile.  Not really competition for a modern "adventure" bike.

You're right, and to be fair, I was expecting too much from the KLR.  The single cylinder vibrations ended up making a constant buzzing in the dash that I never remedied though.  I kept expecting it to go 75 on the highway all day, which it wasn't really happy doing.  It's okay, I got the "right" bike this time!

Online Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
Congrats and welcome aboard. At 7,000 miles the motor is barely broken in and you can still get the extended warranty. Shop around for it to be around or under $400 for 4 MORE years.

btw - Your old 1150 did weigh less, but the Tenere has a lower cg and the design of the rake/trail/etc makes it feel lighter. I recommend that people lay the bike on its side in the grass just to prove to themselves they can pick it up. Because of where the crash bars attach, they create a bit of a teeter-totter fulcrum and so the bike is also easier to pick up than the 1150.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline SIXTEEN

Congrats and welcome aboard. At 7,000 miles the motor is barely broken in and you can still get the extended warranty. Shop around for it to be around or under $400 for 4 MORE years.

btw - Your old 1150 did weigh less, but the Tenere has a lower cg and the design of the rake/trail/etc makes it feel lighter. I recommend that people lay the bike on its side in the grass just to prove to themselves they can pick it up. Because of where the crash bars attach, they create a bit of a teeter-totter fulcrum and so the bike is also easier to pick up than the 1150.

Can I really still get the extended warranty?  I was reading a post where people are buying them from eBay?!  When I bought my bike, they told me it was first registered a year and ONE WEEK before I got it, so I JUST MISSED still being covered under factory warranty.  Would I still qualify for the "Y.E.S." (<<< I think that means Yamaha Extended Something)?

Offline barkingllizard

• @theparty@theendoftheworld
congrats on your new ride, SIXTEEN, with a simple hello.....
comments with substance will be chastised by soulless pub riders lacking imagination...
and calling out princess trolls will be met with the monomaniacal pruning shears of censorship.....

Offline Paletes3

Hello SIXTEEN.  ::004:: and congrats. 7000 miles? That's a new S10 for sure. And a Yellow one, that's great.
In Europe prices of 2nd hand ones (used ones) don't drop so much.
Have fun on your new ride.
XT1200Z 2016 Race Blu series

The journey not the arrival matters - T.S.Eliot

Online Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
Can I really still get the extended warranty?  I was reading a post where people are buying them from eBay?!  When I bought my bike, they told me it was first registered a year and ONE WEEK before I got it, so I JUST MISSED still being covered under factory warranty.  Would I still qualify for the "Y.E.S." (<<< I think that means Yamaha Extended Something)?

YES = Yamaha Extended Service

If only a week over and the previous owner had a Yamaha shop doing his service (dealers have the records online thru corporate), I'd figure out real fast who you want to buy through and have them ask corporate to let you in. Can't hurt to ask.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Sierra1

....so the bike is also easier to pick up than the 1150.

I had a partner that would get his 1150RT-P completely horizontal, on the crash bars, every time he dumped it.  :))  The wheels weren't even touching the ground.  :))  And yes, it was a P.I.T.A. to upright it.  Haven't dropped my Tenere, yet, but she does FEEL lighter.  I don't foresee a problem when it happens.  ;D
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Offline ColoRider

• Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum and congrats on a very sweet '16!!!!   

Love the yellow!!

::004::
Rod ~ Die Hard

'15 DL650XT
'15 XTZ12EF (GBNF)
'12 XTZ12BL (GBNF)

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come

My SPOT