Author Topic: Hail to the SUPER Tenere!  (Read 660 times)

Offline Xclimation

Hail to the SUPER Tenere!
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:07:10 am »
I'm amazed at this bike!  I completed a couple of days ago, a 6 day trip going 3257 miles! Day 1 consisted of 871 miles. 3 of the days over a thousand riding to and around the Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and part of the Blue Parkway, Part of Moonshier 28. And the last day I road straight through from Sumter, South Carolina to Fort Worth, Texas Just a hair under 1200 miles!  My bike went through 3 torrential downpours of rain! My bike was loaded down with 37 and 52L Givi Trekker panniers, A large top case on the luggage rack and a large loaded bag made by T-bags. There were stretches I rode at 90 mph up and down pretty steep hills. So steep that 18 wheelers were going under 30 mph to make it up those hills. Rode through Just over knee deep water (Amazed on how this bike goes through the water like it's nothing!)
I changed the oil just before my trip. (I use Rotella T6)   
I'm getting ready to change the oil again of course after such a long trip. But the oil still looks pretty clear looking through the sight glass and the oil level appears like I have lost a drop! The oil catch bulb at the bottom of my air box is at best 1/4 full (in another words a few drops)
Just did a lot of interesting driving speeding up and slowing down on the Interstate Highway (Mostly I-20)  Sat in Atlanta, Ga. traffic for a bit. When I started the trip, my bike which I just got in March had 3850 miles on it and is now well over 7k miles.

I put this bike through some work! Amazed on how good condition the oil looks and the level appears to be perfect! Not one hiccup the entire trip on my bike!

When I rode the Tail of the Dragon and Cherhala Skyway and part of Moonshier 28, I only had my top case on the bike which was empty and LOVED how my bike performed through the tight turns!
I don't think I'll ever ride again over 1000 miles in a day again. I was fine until the last 200 miles or so. In Texas, our speed limits are by far faster than everywhere else! Most cities smaller than Dallas/Ft. Worth the speed limit goes down to 60 mph and even 40 mph on the Interstate. In Texas through Dallas/Fort Worth it may go down to 65 mph in some spots. It was dark towards the end of my ride. And there was quite a bit of traffic at 22:00 at night and people were whizzing by my in traffic over 80 mph. So between the fatigue of having just ridden 1k miles, the dark, the traffic and not being used to everyone else going fast......I was a little worried.  Yes, we have the fastest speed limits......but I swear with have the straightest roads here in North Texas! Riding the Curves of Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina definitely helped my skill as a rider!

I am so amazed at this machine! I could go on about it! If you are considering buying a Super Tenere and reading this.....I just pushed you over the fence!!!! Going over 90 mph on the Interstate loaded down and still had PLENTY to go if I needed or wanted it!
2015 Super Tenere Power Commander PCFC, Catless OEM headers, Delkevic slip-on, Uni-filters, Modified Airbox, Altrider Crash bars and skid plate, Flat seat mod. Dash in-fill, Nighteyes LED headlight bulbs, SW motech tank bag, Madstad windshield bracket, Parabellum/Give Airgflow windshield (Using stock windshield mostly) Touratech Headlight guard, Rox Risers, RideonAdv. extended brake/clutch lines

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
Re: Hail to the SUPER Tenere!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 08:05:31 pm »
Yup - It's the 2-wheeled Land Cruiser or Tahoe. Loaded down? It'll handle that.

Without the load (and the trailer hitch to hang up) it'll run off-road probably better than any other big-bore and run twisties till you drag hard parts.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Madhatter

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:55:47 pm »
the "Choir " say's Amen to the Preacher...

Offline Calboy

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 07:11:31 pm »
the "Choir " say's Amen to the Preacher...

Translate "say's" for me, please.

Offline Crew Chief

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 08:46:43 pm »
Be sure to come tell us the details Friday over Ice Cream.
Mike Brewster
Current:2014 Super Tenere', 2000 DRZ400, 1995 Kawasaki Concours
Previous: 1975 Kawasaki H1, 1982 Yamaha Seca 650, 2001 KLR650

Offline Dirt_Dad

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 08:54:47 pm »
I put this bike through some work! ...
 Not one hiccup the entire trip on my bike!
I am so amazed at this machine! I could go on about it!

Just returned from taking two Teneres on a 7000 mile ride.  I feel exactly the same way.  Even after owning four of them since 2011, they still impress the hell out of me.
17 Super Tenere ES
15 Super Tenere ES
12 Super Tenere (currently for sale at Romney Cycles)
12 Yamaha XT250
13 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Madhatter

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 06:27:58 am »
Calboy, "say's" , "say" to express in words ( what you mean ) , to state as opinion or belief , "says" an expression of opinion , power of decision. and a few other definitions according to Webster. ie ; pronounce ;recite ,repeat ( your prayers) etc.....

Offline Sierra1

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 09:47:16 am »
Be sure to come tell us the details Friday over Ice Cream.

Whaaaat?  ???
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Offline Xclimation

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 09:57:03 am »

Whaaaat?  ???

On Friday's "Two Wheeled Texans" www.twtex.com meet at Burger Box off Glenview Drive in Richland Hills starting around 18:30 to have ice cream or whatever Burger Box sells. A great group of people with an incredible amount of motorcycle knowledge and experience! You need to come Sierra! Most of these folks have easily over 4 motorcycles. And I swear, each time I go it seems someone brings some kind of unusual bike! (Such as a scooter with a hack)
2015 Super Tenere Power Commander PCFC, Catless OEM headers, Delkevic slip-on, Uni-filters, Modified Airbox, Altrider Crash bars and skid plate, Flat seat mod. Dash in-fill, Nighteyes LED headlight bulbs, SW motech tank bag, Madstad windshield bracket, Parabellum/Give Airgflow windshield (Using stock windshield mostly) Touratech Headlight guard, Rox Risers, RideonAdv. extended brake/clutch lines