Author Topic: Hello Super Ten'rs. I'm considering joining the clan. Thoughts?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Sierra1

Re: Hello Super Ten'rs. I'm considering joining the clan. Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 12:13:10 am »
Uhhhh....there's different body work?  ???  Wow, and I'm supposed to be observant. (face palm)
In the stable: Me-'17 TENERE ES & '86 FJ 1200; Wife-'01 TW 200; Son 1-'16 R6; Son 2-'14 FJR ES
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Offline troop

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 08:25:43 am »
Uhhhh....there's different body work?  ???  Wow, and I'm supposed to be observant. (face palm)

I had to look too. Right side panel near rear shock preload adjuster. ES top/non ES lower

Offline Overlander

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 11:12:08 am »
Go for it, just be prepared for your riding buddies to be underwhelmed by your choice, don't worry you were right all along.
At 6'3" like me you will probably like the Puig touring screen.
Happy days ahead.

Offline RonH

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 11:32:36 am »
There is a few brackets/ ect that would not be simple to add to add the factory cover. I suppose the cover could be mounted in some home brew method, but it would take a little effort to even do that. The cover is really mounted on there to stay. Trust me, it's not mounted through a couple grommets like the bikes of old times put covers on. The cover also covers and protects the rear master cylinder on the ES, where on the standard model the master cylinder is in front of the rear tire, so for those that worry of things getting broken, one less protector needed on the ES.
2017 Super Tenere 1200ES, 2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Offline tomatocity

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 01:20:41 pm »
There is a few brackets/ ect that would not be simple to add to add the factory cover. I suppose the cover could be mounted in some home brew method, but it would take a little effort to even do that. The cover is really mounted on there to stay. Trust me, it's not mounted through a couple grommets like the bikes of old times put covers on. The cover also covers and protects the rear master cylinder on the ES, where on the standard model the master cylinder is in front of the rear tire, so for those that worry of things getting broken, one less protector needed on the ES.

Thought the same thing Ron. I checked my ES and it would not be a slam dunk add. If someone wants to make a couple bucks... design a set of brackets (3 or 4 pieces) for re-sell. The looks are nice. Since you wouldn't fill up the space with ES/ABS related items you could use the space for tool kit, first aid kit, stash, ???.
Tim
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere, XTZ12EFCR, Candy Red, #112, 5/23/2015
2005 KLR685
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere, XTZ1200, Impact Blue, #027, 7/31/2011 (sold)

Offline mrpete64

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 03:25:06 pm »
After owning "lots" of bikes I finally ended up with a '14 ES.  It is a very nice bike. Drove it from New York to California and back and around the country. Adequate power...comfortable...and most important...VERY dependable.

I do not think you will find a better "all around" bike for the money. I would suggest buying the extra warranty coverage from a Yamaha shop in Alabama. Very cheap insurance.  I forget the name but you can find it easily on this site. Very nice people.

Offline troop

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 09:35:28 am »
I just glanced through the respective owners manuals of the ES/Standard ST's. Re: suspension adjustment, I take it that the ES still has the manual preload on the front forks? I see no mention of front preload adjustment at all?

Offline fcorona76

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 11:08:57 am »
It would be great to see more S10s in south central WI.  I've mine since last fall (non-ES).  Mostly commuting with it so far, but it's been great.  Gotta get the wife another bike before we start the touring thing, but the highway experience is positive so far. Good on gravel and with our crappy WI roads, the suspension has worked well. Replacing the windscreen was a major factor in my enjoyment.  I've actually got an extra Parabellum tall screen you could have for cheap, or at least test out to see if it makes a difference.

If you drink the kool-aid, I'd be happy to get together and share with you what I've got in the way of farkles.  Internet forums and reviews can only go so far.

Eville Rich
2016 S10
2015 WR250R

You'll see one riding down I-43 out through Beloit on Friday as I make my way out to Colorado for a few weeks.

Offline DryRider

• Ride On
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 08:25:52 pm »
Not really understanding all the different set-ups I could dial in by hand with the pre-load and dampening or wanting to understand it, brought me to the ES, I set it up soft -3 (Standard 0) and Hard +3 That gives me the softest ride and the standard plus the Hard. I use them all the time. It makes a difference I can feel noticeably. I felt it was a game changer for me because I had no idea how to set up the front end the back seemed pretty easy but the front forks more involved. Then it made sense I might benefit and enjoy hitting it on the fly. Seems like the guys that know the real deal can buy the standard and be very happy. Ride safe great bike!     
2014 Tenere ES

Offline Donk

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 08:59:49 pm »
Trooper,  FWIW I had a '14ES and foolishly sold it to try an "exotic" brand.  Didn't work out and got a '17ES 2 weeks and 2000 smiling miles ago.  Cannot tell you how happy I am to be back on a S10!  I don't think there is a lot in the ES-non ES discussion as both work well and there are advantages to each.  Mine is an ES, my friend went non ES and we're both loving our bikes.  As your in southern WI might want to give Rick at Mukwonago Yamaha a call.  His pricing is right and he is straight to deal with.  No dealer fees or other bs.  Bought both my S10s from him and so have a couple other people I know.  He's done right by all of us.

Offline troop

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 08:51:19 am »
Trooper,  FWIW I had a '14ES and foolishly sold it to try an "exotic" brand.  Didn't work out and got a '17ES 2 weeks and 2000 smiling miles ago.  Cannot tell you how happy I am to be back on a S10!  I don't think there is a lot in the ES-non ES discussion as both work well and there are advantages to each.  Mine is an ES, my friend went non ES and we're both loving our bikes.  As your in southern WI might want to give Rick at Mukwonago Yamaha a call.  His pricing is right and he is straight to deal with.  No dealer fees or other bs.  Bought both my S10s from him and so have a couple other people I know.  He's done right by all of us.

Thanks Donk.. I was down there a couple weeks back looking at their new 2015 red non ES model. Fortunately, it's kind of a buyers market for ST's in our area. Hope your part of town avoided the flooding. My buddies daughter in Burlington wasn't so lucky :(

Offline jaba01

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 12:42:00 am »
I got an 2016 ES and just love it. Came from a 2015 VStrom 1000 which was good but the Yamaha is a step up.

Offline Donk

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 06:49:02 am »
Thanks Donk.. I was down there a couple weeks back looking at their new 2015 red non ES model. Fortunately, it's kind of a buyers market for ST's in our area. Hope your part of town avoided the flooding. My buddies daughter in Burlington wasn't so lucky :(

I'm actually in Spring Prairie just a Burlington mailing address.  Got hit with a lot of rain but nothing like a few miles south in Burlington proper, but thanks for asking.  Those poor folks got hammered, record flood levels.

I would think you could get a heck of a deal on a '15 leftover!  Let me know when you buy one, we'll have to go for a ride.

Offline Blind Squirrel

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 05:34:52 pm »
Hello Super Ten'rs. I'm considering joining the clan. Thoughts?

Do it!  Get the ES.
-----
- Scott
Chesapeake Va.

Offline Davidr8

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 01:54:42 am »
It's a no brainer, if you can afford it then I would get the ES. I have a 2016 ES after selling off my last 2 bikes, and ST1300 and a Triumph Rocket III. I miss neither. The versatility of a the Super Tenere along with the luggage, cruise control and of course, suspension adjustment just makes this bike so much more versatile then either of the last 2 bikes I had. I personally live in a city with terrible, terrible road conditions and setting up my suspension for Soft makes riding around and commuting feel like riding on a cloud. When on the highway or traveling long distances, stiffening up the suspension with a click of the button is awesome. I do recommend getting the Tall Yamaha shield, it works very well. The ES of course comes with heated grips which work extremely well. I love mine. You will as well! Plus, the bike gets great mileage.
I'm iterested in your transition from ST1300 to Super Tenere.
The ST1300 is on my list of potential bikes as I'm looking for more two-up comfort than on my Triumph Tiger.

Do you ride your Super Tenere two-up? If you do, how do you find it as a two-up bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk