Author Topic: Shifter jammed into vertical position on tour  (Read 630 times)

Offline Mtbjay

• In love with two-wheeled machines
Shifter jammed into vertical position on tour
« on: July 10, 2017, 06:38:16 pm »
I had my first "accident" after eight-years as a returning rider.  I was on tour and fatigued from a long day that included being caught in snow/sleet storm at 7,000 feet for 70 miles when it happened.  A 0 MPH tip-over.  My stubby legs, and a lack of assertiveness while I was attempting a 3-point turn on a narrow forest service road, left me without forward momentum just long enough to stall a tip-over.  The bike sustained barely a scratch, but curiously, the shifter was stuck in a vertical position (12 O'clock), noticed once the bike was upright.  A few attempts to push it back down were unsuccessful.  Then I had the idea to start the bike and pull the clutch before trying again.  It worked and the shifter dropped into place.  Outside of a minor bend in the connecting rod, everything seems right.

What happened?  Should I inspect anything for damage?  Anyone else experience this?  (My boot tip caught the shifter as I attempted to hold the beast from tipping, then had to bail-out to avoid being caught under the machine.)
2012 ST1200Z
OEM heated grips, bags, fog lights; V-Stream Windscreen, Fender Extender

Offline Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
Re: Shifter jammed into vertical position on tour
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 09:32:07 pm »
I've bent the shifter and bent it back, but vertical? Got photos?
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Mtbjay

• In love with two-wheeled machines
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 01:42:59 pm »
Nothing?
2012 ST1200Z
OEM heated grips, bags, fog lights; V-Stream Windscreen, Fender Extender

Offline PowersUSA

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:54:26 am »
Had the same thing happen to me this weekend. Same end result, it pushed back through to the normal position and a slightly bent connector rod. I don't know how "safe" it is for the shifter to rotate that far "up", but so far it seems fine.

Offline mebgardner

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 10:45:55 am »
Two in a few days, huh. I'm hopeful these don't happen in 3's.
2016 ST, Non-ES, Power Commander PCFC, Seat Concepts, Rox 2" Risers w/ OEM lines, Aux: ADVMonster 44W LEDS and Dimmer, HL: NightEye H7 50W LEDs, Eastern Beaver CS3, Givi TN355 crash bars, Skene Designs Photon Blaster LEDs, Knight Design Wide Hunter lowering pegs, Denali SoundBlaster w/ Twisted Throttle horn mount, SW Motech Evo Side Racks, Saddleman X-Jumbo Cruiser Soft Bags, Hepco Becker Rear Rack, Hepco Becker Junior 45 Rear Top Case, MRA X-creen Tour, OEM reg. shield and bracket, OEM side wind deflectors, RideOn Tire additive, 0.55 in. LED eBay Voltmeter, Battery tender. Hit-Air Airbag Vest, Motoport 3/4 Length 3 Layer Jacket with Quad Armor Upgrade, EVS G6 Mesh Armor (summer), Revit 2 Layer Mesh Pants, A* Corozal Boots, Shoei Hornet X2.

Offline AVGeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 12:29:38 pm »
If anyone does happen to have this situation, snap a pic and post it here...
IBA# 54462

Online Dogdaze

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 01:45:34 pm »
 ::006::
As I get older, I am no longer surprised at what I know, I'm surprised at how much I don't know.

Offline lynnsox

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 12:40:15 am »
Here's your third. Exact same thing happened to me Sat morning. Going downhill in first gear , wet grass and a few clay ruts= instant down. Shifter straight up. Put it back in place and rode another 500 miles for the weekend no worse for wear except a slightly bent shift rod. will repair this week. Sorry no pics either!

Offline HeliMark

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 01:10:56 pm »
I did this to mine several years ago. Low speed drop on the left side resulting in the shifter pointing straight up. I pushed it back forward, and it "snapped" back to the horizontal position. Was able to rebend the shift rod somewhat straight, and rode home. I replaced the rod, not because it wasn't working, but everytime I looked at the bike, it seemed to say to me that I owed it a new one...lol.

That was 40K miles ago, and still going. Tough bike.

Mark

Mark
2013 S10

Offline msch

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 07:44:25 pm »
The same thing happen to me on February this year. I pushed back through to the normal position and ended with a bent connector rod. Corrected the bent connector to a slightly bent doing force with my hand. Shifting worked well. At home disassembled the connecting rod, aligned it and installed back.
I believe this is an excellent Yamaha design that avoids broken parts. Did not took pictures.
F. Martin Schneuer