Author Topic: Cyclops replacement LED headlight bulb kit for Teneres  (Read 27451 times)

Offline VPS1

Re: Cyclops replacement LED headlight bulb kit for Teneres
« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2017, 01:25:24 pm »
Could be the heat, I live in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline SIXTEEN

« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2017, 02:02:25 pm »
I'm about to tackle this swap with the Cyclops kit.  Seems pretty straight forward. 

Offline SIXTEEN

« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2017, 02:40:37 pm »
It was a little finicky, but I managed to squeeze it all in the new housings.  It's definitely a much "whiter" (higher color temperature on the Kelvin scale) light, but it's too sunny right now to really know how much better it will make night-life.  I'm pretty stoked that it was just plug and play, I didn't even disconnect my battery before tackling this install, since the headlight shouldn't have power going to it while the key is out.  I'm sure tonight's ride will be like night and day.   ::018::

Offline SIXTEEN

« Reply #213 on: July 17, 2017, 06:41:58 am »
Before and After the Cyclops LED (plug-n-play) kit installed last night:

Huge improvement. 

Offline HeliMark

« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2017, 04:30:57 pm »
Add me to the left side going out. About 20-25K or so.

In the middle of a trip and won't get home for another 2-3 weeks. Any real need, my rigid light bar will handle the duties.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Offline Madhatter

« Reply #215 on: July 17, 2017, 08:16:40 pm »
what is it about the left side of this bike. I have been and I am close to buying the cyclops , people keep losing the left side bulbs more often than not..... my regular bulbs go out more often on the left side also ...put in a fresh pair of bulbs and the left side will be the one to fail first most of the time... I have had the harness redone, so what is going on here... am I going to see the cyclops burn out left side first , or is this just some random thing....if its a common thing for the left side conventional bulb up to LED burning out on the left side first; most of the time I start thinking it is not a Texas heat thing ( I am tired , thing , is easy to type .) it is a current thing...there seems to be a pattern here...now I admit I have not read every line of this thread so I may be off base, but what I have read suggest that pattern of left side failures... some one please straighten me out on this ...

Offline HeliMark

« Reply #216 on: July 17, 2017, 10:45:32 pm »
I am currently in Texas, but last couple of weeks at home has actually been hotter. But not the humidity. Couldn't tell you when it actually went out.

I have been an equal opportunity dropper. Both sides have their fair share.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:48:49 pm by HeliMark »

Offline Madhatter

« Reply #217 on: July 18, 2017, 06:04:30 am »
and after a good nights sleep...  the pattern of failures suggest that it is not the bulbs , conventional or LED, its the bike... it may not be every bike but a percentage of them with a flaw of some kind .... I am going to purchase a fresh set of bulbs after work today , we will see which side fails first, will take a few months or more probably to fail , 6 months I'm betting.... seems to be the pattern.....

Offline 2daMax

« Reply #218 on: July 18, 2017, 11:27:09 am »
Just a thought. Vibrations is higher on the left side perhaps.
Current: 2012 Super Tenere - White/Red Speedblocks
Previous:
2011 to 2015 - Kawasaki Versys 650 2011
2010 to 2011 - Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2008

Offline EricV

• Rumbux Importer - Riding, farkling, riding...
« Reply #219 on: July 18, 2017, 11:31:51 am »
Just another thought...

The radiator is on the left side.  Even though it to the rear of the lights some, ambient heat is very likely higher on the left, especially when stopped in traffic or riding slow.

I would expect a commuter to have a failure sooner than a tourer, for example.
Matte Black 2015 Super Tenere
Rumbux Adventure Products Importer
Eval Innovations Inc.

Offline Sierra1

« Reply #220 on: July 18, 2017, 02:20:40 pm »
Mine is over six months old, and a 99% commuter.  And, I do most of my riding in the middle of the day.  Now, I do ride with the  "high" beams on.  As we know, same bulb/wattage, but without the physical shield in front of the beam.  Maybe the shield reflects too much heat back to the bulb?  I've had Silver Star bulbs in my Jeep for almost five years without any problems, and many hours of night driving.  There were many reviews complaining of short life spans.  I was anal when I installed the Silver Stars, to the point of wearing rubber gloves.  I know "back-in-the-day" there were motorcycle bulbs, and then there were car bulbs.  But those were halogens, so....
In the stable:'17 TENERE ES; '14 FJR ES; '86 FJ 1200
Out to Pasture: '77 XS 360; '81 SECA 550; '00 KZ 1000P; '04 BMW 1150 RT-P; '11 ST1300PA; '11 KLR

Offline Madhatter

« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2017, 07:43:16 pm »
I guess I will know the answer after I install the new bulbs , so here is the question. are the light chambers separate and sealed from one another? where one side could get hotter than the other.....I have changed bulbs but never thought to see if they are separated...

Online Checkswrecks

• Global Moderator
  • Ungenear to broked stuff
« Reply #222 on: July 18, 2017, 09:04:44 pm »
I guess I will know the answer after I install the new bulbs , so here is the question. are the light chambers separate and sealed from one another? where one side could get hotter than the other.....I have changed bulbs but never thought to see if they are separated...

Not waterproof from each other but effectively separate.

I'm pretty convinced that the reason that many of these bikes are bulb killers is that they run higher voltage than other models. Add fractions of a volt and you are adding watts of heat energy.
Damascus, MD
XTZ1200, KTM 690R

Offline Xclimation

« Reply #223 on: July 18, 2017, 09:13:55 pm »
One thing I noticed when installing and experimenting with my Nighteye LEDs.

I had the stock incandescent on one side and the Nighteye bulb in the other. If you put your hand in front of the lens on the incandescent side with standing in front of the bike; you can feel heat.
Where on the LED side no heat from the front; but the heat sink behind the bulb was hot.
2015 Super Tenere Power Commander PCFC, Catless OEM headers, Delkevic slip-on, Uni-filters, Modified Airbox, Altrider Crash bars and skid plate, Flat seat mod. Dash in-fill, Nighteyes LED headlight bulbs, SW motech tank bag, Madstad windshield bracket, Parabellum/Give Airgflow windshield (Using stock windshield mostly) Touratech Headlight guard, Rox Risers, RideonAdv. extended brake/clutch lines

Offline Cycledude

« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2017, 11:33:44 pm »
When I was using stock bulbs when one bulb burned out it was only a few hundred miles later when the other one burned out which seems pretty normal to me.
I've only got about 5,000 miles on the Cyclops kit and thankfully no failure yet, but wow they light things up about 10 times better than the stock setup did !
2013 Tenere heading for Alaska about May 25th 2016
2002 Honda GL1800, yellow, currently 465,000 smiles