Author Topic: Escape from DC  (Read 69096 times)

Offline snakebitten

Re: Escape from DC
« Reply #465 on: January 20, 2014, 09:12:43 pm »
Yea, I don't think K60's really ever die. I think they torture us hanging on. We simply, and finally, give up waiting for that "fresh rubber" opportunity. It's a great feeling.
XT1200Z  TBDBITW  (The Biggest Dirt Bike in The World)
KTM 500 EXC              Dirtiest Street Bike In The World
KTM 950 SE           (The Substitute for the XT700Z that's coming)

Offline coastie

« Reply #466 on: February 09, 2014, 01:45:48 pm »
Been awhile, hope your having a blast! I don't think you are anywhere near this, but looks like there is unrest in Mexico and this guy went missing heading down to where you were.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/08/world/americas/missing-american-mexico/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Yamaha Super Tenere-All you have to do is ride it!

Offline dcstrom

• Super Tenere information
« Reply #467 on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:51 pm »
Hi Coastie... yea, been to Uruguay recently but now back in Buenos Aires till about the 17th, then head to an Horizons Unlimited meeting in Iguazu Falls on the 22nd.

About the missing guy... hate to say it, but to me it's more likely that he crashed off the road somewhere and nobody saw it. From the CNN article;

"I've never ridden a motorcycle," he wrote. "Mostly, naturally, because I don't know how. So tomorrow I'm going to go to the DMV, get my motorcycle permit, buy a bike and hopefully figure out how to ride it home without crashing. Which I'm sure will be an adventure in itself."
He added, "Then in the next 2 or 3 weeks I'm going to drive it across America, through Central America, down to Brazil for the World Cup, and eventually south to Ushuaia, which as far as I can tell from a map is about as far south as one can get on the continent."

So he started the trip with almost zero motorcycle experience. I don't see any indication that he had a Spot tracker (or similar). Yes there is some unrest in this area but I still think it's more likely he crashed. The problems revolve around vigilates battling drug cartels, with the police and military trying to keep them apart. As far as I can tell none of those groups would have much interest in interfering with a lone gringo. If anything it could be bandits taking advantage of the unrest, but even that seems unlikely. Plenty of other places with fewer cops and army around.

Been awhile, hope your having a blast! I don't think you are anywhere near this, but looks like there is unrest in Mexico and this guy went missing heading down to where you were.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/08/world/americas/missing-american-mexico/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Currently travelling from DC to Argentina http://tinyurl.com/EscapeFromDC
http://supertenere1200.com/

Offline RogerJ

• Waypoint Wanderer
« Reply #468 on: February 10, 2014, 02:22:02 pm »
Hi Trevor.......hear you on the Michoacan situation. Lets hope that all ends well.
Glad to hear you are going to the HU meeting and getting to take in the falls.  It is a treat.  Walking the catwalks on the Brazil side (helicopter if you have extra bucks).  Also super and even more wet by Zodiac on the Argentina side.  If you are inclined, the twisty ride from Iguazu down through the hills to the the Serra do Rastro road and onwards towards Antonina, Paraty and along the emerald coast as far as Rio is pretty good stuff.  All the best!
XT1200Z; F700GS; F650

Offline Dirt_Dad

« Reply #469 on: February 10, 2014, 08:49:27 pm »
... hopefully figure out how to ride it home without crashing. Which I'm sure will be an adventure in itself."
He added, "Then in the next 2 or 3 weeks I'm going to drive it across America, through Central America, down to Brazil for the World Cup, and eventually south to Ushuaia, which as far as I can tell from a map is about as far south as one can get on the continent."

Launching on that type of trip after 2 or 3 weeks total experience...that is just scary as can be.  Sadly your speculation sounds like a reasonable possibility.  I know we all hope the guy shows up alive and well somewhere, with maybe just a story to tell.
17 Super Tenere ES
15 Super Tenere ES
12 Yamaha XT250
13 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline JTWY

« Reply #470 on: February 17, 2014, 08:32:04 am »
Thanks for all the great input on these tires , you guys sold me on them . Sorry it took so long to reply , I forgot to check the " notify me of replies" box .
Spring's coming , can't wait :-)  Hope you all have a safe and awesome riding season .

JT
Motorcycles are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.